Sky shelves ‘rugby’ channel

11 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Caution is advised on this. English RU fans and journalists have been lamenting Union`s mutation into League for over 30 years. It`s often a "disparage one, get one free" hit on League and SH Union. One phrase from the early 90s has stuck in my mind, where one writer depicted NZRU as "imitating what they most fear."

Strange echoes of `the love that dares not speak its` name` in that quote. I wonder whether that was deliberate or the subconscious yearnings of a closet League fan.

11 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

BTW, via a tortuous, lazily clicking on one thing after another method, I ended up perusing an Australian RU forum. Nothing but page after page about the decline of Rugby in each poster`s old private school. I was starting to feel sorry for them.

The crowing and the triumphalism that coincided with unions going professional and the fleeting profile it achieved at the time will make it extremely difficult for me to ever feel any sort of sympathy for rugby union. Terms like `parish pump` sport and `feeder systems to rugby union` are indelibly burnt into my memory. Let them suffer.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Strange echoes of `the love that dares not speak its` name` in that quote. I wonder whether that was deliberate or the subconscious yearnings of a closet League fan.

The crowing and the triumphalism that coincided with unions going professional and the fleeting profile it achieved at the time will make it extremely difficult for me to ever feel any sort of sympathy for rugby union. Terms like `parish pump` sport and `feeder systems to rugby union` are indelibly burnt into my memory. Let them suffer.

Lest we forget: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2001/may/07/rugbyleague.comment 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, The Rocket said:

In their reduced circumstances, with less overweening arrogance leading to overreaching and overclaiming, the ARU might be more of a slow burn threat.

The NRL shouldn`t be complacent. In particular, I wish V`landys and others who set the rules gave more thought to boosting variety in the game rather than merely fixating on speeding it up. Some of the aspects we`ve covered on this forum like officials` attitude to knock-on rulings, back-to-1 after a charge down, how to encourage more ball-movement and offloading, etc. These matters ought to at least be considered, but I detect scant signs of such debate in NRL administrative and media circles. They assume that fans only want the game to be faster.

Also, I`m still waiting for confirmation whether Nine`s Saturday night SR game will be on the main or secondary channel. This will largely determine the extent of the challenge RU poses to the NRL.

After watching a Union match on BT, I have decided to get rid ok Sky for League. Not because I do not prefer League. I have just had enough of the poor showing by Sky. How difficult can it be to keep the camera pointing at the game, while the ball is in play? 

Do we need to see a repeat of every time the ball changes possession? Can we ever see a penalty kick to touch, rather than a repeat of the offence? Do we need to see team coaches, when being told about the half time talk? Or to see some spectators on their couches (looking like they rarely get off them), or club chairmen (just because they have more money than us)? 

I would prefer to watch League, if it was shown properly, not in fragmented pieces. I often wonder how they have the cheek to keep the Sky Sports "LIVE" graphic on screen.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 28/01/2021 at 23:30, Futtocks said:

Interesting to read and quite balanced if you get over the headline grabbing elements. He was correct in many ways but wrong in others - both codes had and have a lot to learn, but will they ever?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On a simpler note I don't subscribe to Sky. Being a pensioner I need to husband my resources and not being over bothered about live soccer I don't see Sky Sports as representing good value for money.

Being able to see X live games of RL doesn't appeal either, given that I do have a life and need to sleep sometime in every 24 hours; just how much TV can any one person watch?

Broadcast television as a whole is about to undergo another period of great change and I expect such as Sky to amend their model and offering significantly. I await developments with interest.

Interesting line. Exclusive rights to the semi's and final, but no mention of exclusivity for SL games. Sure its just an omission on the authors part. But what if..

"Sky is expected to pay between £28 million to £30 million to screen two live Super League matches per round in 2022, as well as having exclusive rights to the semi-finals and the grand final."

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Interesting to read and quite balanced if you get over the headline grabbing elements. He was correct in many ways but wrong in others - both codes had and have a lot to learn, but will they ever?

On 28/01/2021 at 23:30, Futtocks said:

What grates is the self-satisfied tone and the smug assumption that Rugby League would either die out, or tug a humble forelock and return to the fold, harsh lesson learned. 

We gave him a bit of a ribbing after his 2006 deadline, when RL had unhelpfully failed to disappear.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

What grates is the self-satisfied tone and the smug assumption that Rugby League would either die out, or tug a humble forelock and return to the fold, harsh lesson learned. 

We gave him a bit of a ribbing after his 2006 deadline, when RL had unhelpfully failed to disappear.

I agree with all that, but his prejudice still speaks to RL`s failure to convey the fundamental on-field difference between League and Union to the general observer. Namely, the tackle and ruck. How could otherwise intelligent people think that off-field manoeuvres could compel the two distinct versions to blend? Or that one could replace the other without destroying the essence of each game`s attraction to its respective constituency. Unless they had never been educated to look closely enough.

I`m extremely reluctant to refer to the state of our PTB, but if players are allowed to slovenly and flagrantly break the rules should they find obeying them too demanding, does this not imply that we have no respect for the integrity of the very thing that most palpably distinguishes our game from RU? And that we`d have no serious objection to trading it away if a takeover bid were offered.

On 29/01/2021 at 21:47, unapologetic pedant said:

In their reduced circumstances, with less overweening arrogance leading to overreaching and overclaiming, the ARU might be more of a slow burn threat.

The NRL shouldn`t be complacent. In particular, I wish V`landys and others who set the rules gave more thought to boosting variety in the game rather than merely fixating on speeding it up. Some of the aspects we`ve covered on this forum like officials` attitude to knock-on rulings, back-to-1 after a charge down, how to encourage more ball-movement and offloading, etc. These matters ought to at least be considered, but I detect scant signs of such debate in NRL administrative and media circles. They assume that fans only want the game to be faster.

Also, I`m still waiting for confirmation whether Nine`s Saturday night SR game will be on the main or secondary channel. This will largely determine the extent of the challenge RU poses to the NRL.

I don't expect SR Australia to pose any challenge to the NRL. But I do see Nine giving it the coverage and airtime it desperately needed especially if they sign SBW and Allana Ferguson to their panel of experts and commentators. I do think also that SR had gone the right way by ditching South African teams and adding a Fijian and Pacific Island franchise

9 minutes ago, Taniwha Warriors said:

I don't expect SR Australia to pose any challenge to the NRL. But I do see Nine giving it the coverage and airtime it desperately needed especially if they sign SBW and Allana Ferguson to their panel of experts and commentators. I do think also that SR had gone the right way by ditching South African teams and adding a Fijian and Pacific Island franchise

Airtime isn't necessarily a good thing when the product is so bad, particularly in comparison to the NRL. More exposure could well do RU more harm than good.

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I agree, but get past those initial statements and you will see that he is castigating RU for lacking the character and self-awareness that RL had at that time. He states, unequivocally, a strong liking for our sport and wasn't wishing it ill, just fearing that it would be swept up by the RU commercial avalanche.

He was wrong, at least in the timing!

16 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I agree with all that, but his prejudice still speaks to RL`s failure to convey the fundamental on-field difference between League and Union to the general observer. Namely, the tackle and ruck. How could otherwise intelligent people think that off-field manoeuvres could compel the two distinct versions to blend? Or that one could replace the other without destroying the essence of each game`s attraction to its respective constituency. Unless they had never been educated to look closely enough.

I`m extremely reluctant to refer to the state of our PTB, but if players are allowed to slovenly and flagrantly break the rules should they find obeying them too demanding, does this not imply that we have no respect for the integrity of the very thing that most palpably distinguishes our game from RU? And that we`d have no serious objection to trading it away if a takeover bid were offered.

You don't concentrate upon converting existing followers, rather it is about recruiting new ones.

41 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You don't concentrate upon converting existing followers, rather it is about recruiting new ones.

A little kernel of truth that many of the anti expansion posters simply fail to comprehend.

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

A little kernel of truth that many of the anti expansion posters simply fail to comprehend.

Glad to see you're still here and givin' it rice & large. And as my laptop has to be on borrowed time truth doesn't come in little kernels but bucket loads and would win hands down if lies and nonsense weren't louder.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

8 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

True , but don't chase away the ones you have courting the ones you might get 

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

True , but don't chase away the ones you have courting the ones you might get 

Well that would be truth if someone had actually chased anyone away...but even a little yelp form the Wolfpack caused the schizophrenic skittish and forever paranoid to run for the hills at a simple whelp from a new born Wolf cub....it would be comical if it wasn't so sad.  This illogical overt fear of wolves has been going on for centuries...it is unfounded except for those stuck in the Mesolithic.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

We will be back.

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Well that would be truth if someone had actually chased anyone away...but even a little yelp form the Wolfpack caused the schizophrenic skittish and forever paranoid to run for the hills at a simple whelp from a new born Wolf cub....it would be comical if it wasn't so sad.  This illogical overt fear of wolves has been going on for centuries...it is unfounded except for those stuck in the Mesolithic.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

We will be back.

It's more the reintroduction of a closed shop I was referring to , not the unfortunate demise of the puppypack 

On 02/02/2021 at 10:45, Blind side johnny said:

Absolutely, and you ignore the false dichotomy presented that gaining new followers will eliminate existing ones. As actually, it turns out enjoyable things to watch and do are something both groups will enjoy.

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It's more the reintroduction of a closed shop I was referring to , not the unfortunate demise of the puppypack 

This goes to the very crux of the problem....you fail to comprehend that both issues are related and intertwined.

Archived