Roger Tuivasa-Sheck set to leave rugby league (Merged threads)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would be interesting is whether Tuivasa-Sheck plays in the 2021 Rugby League World cup before moving over to Union to try for their 2023 version.  If he decides to forfeit our competition for the extra 6 or 8 weeks in the new code it will speak volumes for the regard of our world cup and will be very depressing.  I really hope he plays for the Kiwis this Autumn.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think SBW was in a similar situatiion when he left League for union, initially declaring himself unavailable then having a last minute change of heart. The tournament is so much better for having big names like that present.

Whether RTS plays in the WC will probably largely depend on his contract with union and whos` favour it is in. Much as we love him, he won`t have the same power in negotiations as Williams and his union club may demand that he comes over straight away.

Devastating if he doesn`t line up for the Kiwis, I can`t think of anyone off-hand who could replace him. F*#^ing rugby.

7 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

He will be a great loss to RL but I can't deny i'm very much looking forward to see what he can do in Union. 

Like Jason Robinson and Semi Radradra before him, I suspect he will do what he has done in League. Just less often because he will get far fewer opportunities to show his talents.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Like Jason Robinson and Semi Radradra before him, I suspect he will do what he has done in League. Just less often because he will get far fewer opportunities to show his talents.

You're not wrong but I still take a lot of pride in watching ex league players go over and rip it up - even if the media don't give the credit to the game they came from. 

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

You're not wrong but I still take a lot of pride in watching ex league players go over and rip it up - even if the media don't give the credit to the game they came from. 

Well, they always do if they break the law.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• John Drake changed the title to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck set to leave rugby league (Merged threads)

Haven't really seen a huge amount of RTS in the last couple of years and i know he's had his injury problems, and it's always sad to see good players leave, especially to union, but i think we've probably got the best out of him.

If he does go, good luck to him though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

What would be interesting is whether Tuivasa-Sheck plays in the 2021 Rugby League World cup before moving over to Union to try for their 2023 version.  If he decides to forfeit our competition for the extra 6 or 8 weeks in the new code it will speak volumes for the regard of our world cup and will be very depressing.  I really hope he plays for the Kiwis this Autumn.

I would assume that shouldn't be an issue, because if he's wanting to play for New Zealand rugby union he'd have to play in Super Rugby, and their competition should be over well in advance of the World Cup. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

This is an annual thing with Tuivasa-Sheck. If he goes then he goes but I would be very disappointed in him if he didn't play in the World Cup first because of the signal it sends.

Perhaps he was possibly hoping that if he threatened to go to union he would get a substantial pay rise, but that was never going to happen.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/roger-tuivasa-sheck-set-to-quit-nrl-for-all-blacks-dream-report-20210128-p56xn6.html

42 minutes ago, Tom Moore said:

I would assume that shouldn't be an issue, because if he's wanting to play for New Zealand rugby union he'd have to play in Super Rugby, and their competition should be over well in advance of the World Cup. 

I think the issue will be more the preperation for the 2022 season. Super rugby in Oz and NZ starts a month earlier than the NRL in the middle if February. I assume RTS will want a full 8 to 10 week preseason to give him the best chance of being a success.

I think the World Cuo final creeps into the first week if December so it will be tight for him.

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

I think the issue will be more the preperation for the 2022 season. Super rugby in Oz and NZ starts a month earlier than the NRL in the middle if February. I assume RTS will want a full 8 to 10 week preseason to give him the best chance of being a success.

I think the World Cuo final creeps into the first week if December so it will be tight for him.

Agree it'll be tight, but I couldn't see it being a deal breaker. If he didn't play, I'd more assume it was out of his choice, rather than him not having a choice. 

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I think SBW was in a similar situatiion when he left League for union, initially declaring himself unavailable then having a last minute change of heart. The tournament is so much better for having big names like that present.

Whether RTS plays in the WC will probably largely depend on his contract with union and whos` favour it is in. Much as we love him, he won`t have the same power in negotiations as Williams and his union club may demand that he comes over straight away.

Devastating if he doesn`t line up for the Kiwis, I can`t think of anyone off-hand who could replace him. F*#^ing rugby.

DWZ would be the perfect fit or CNK.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ala Andy Farrell, he was crocked for RL but still managed to extend his playing career and international representation in the dark side. 

The point here is he extended his coaching career as well.  And lucratively.  Why is Farrell coaching Ireland and not England RL?  Follow the money... which is where the NZ player is going.

Isn't the penny dropping yet?

50 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The point here is he extended his coaching career as well.  And lucratively.  Why is Farrell coaching Ireland and not England RL?  Follow the money... which is where the NZ player is going.

Isn't the penny dropping yet?

I doubt RTS will be earning more money in Union being based in New Zealand. He's one of the highest earners in the NRL rumoured to be on $1m a year (£560k) at the Warriors.

No All Blacks player based in New Zealand will earn any where near that amount.

I assume he's chasing a childhood dream that most Kiwis lads have which if so, then fair play.

36 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I doubt RTS will be earning more money in Union being based in New Zealand. He's one of the highest earners in the NRL rumoured to be on $1m a year (£560k) at the Warriors.

I assume he's chasing a childhood dream that most Kiwis lads have which if so, then fair play.

Yes, Tuivasa-Sheck is on NZ $1.1M and the highest paid RU in New Zealand is Beauden Barrett on NZ $1.06M

He would not be moving for the money.

Links

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/121296855/rugbys-top-earners-just-one-current-all-black-on-highestpaid-list--report

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/122251156/roger-tuivasasheck-highest-paid-kiwi-in-the-nrl-at-11-million

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Genuinely surprised they are chasing RTS over Kalyn ponga but ponga will be the next target for either the all blacks or the wallabies for sure.

ponga hasn't really lived up to the early expectations in fact have been quite disappointed with him and if rts wants to move to ru then we have to accept all athletes can't go on playing top class sport for ever and have to drop their standards to keep feathering the nest.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, AB90 said:

Plenty of all blacks earn that

Archived