Favorite away days

I have personally enjoyed my away day trips to Championship clubs more than Super League in my 25 years of following my team.  My top 5 are as follows:

1. Batley

2. Halifax

3. London Broncos / Skolars

4. Toulouse

5. Gateshead 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto - it’s only now that I can realise how lucky I am to have seen my team there. Like nothing else I’ve ever experienced.

Catalans - rugby heartland, small town, talk funny. Just like Yorkshire really, except pre-match drinks are a bottle of wine or two in a nice restaurant

Toulouse - Young and lively cosmopolitan city. The stadium at Blagnac was a nice mix of big stands and Groundforce inspired beer garden and I was looking forward to visiting Ernest Wallon before the whole getting promoted thing.

Either London club - can’t say I’m mad on Trailfinders but New River is a decent view despite the running track. Main thing is it can be tied in to a day in the smoke who is always enjoyable. One day hope the fixtures are kind enough to have Bolton down there on a Saturday and Leigh on the Sunday. Closest I got was the other year when Leigh played at Trailfinders on the Friday and Bolton played Brentford the following day...at home 🙄 

Halifax - best boozing town in the north as far as I’m concerned. So many cracking pubs to choose from. Knowledgeable home fans, usually a good game and a great vantage point from the terracing at either end.

Honourable mentions to sunshine trips to Whitehaven and, to a lesser extent, Barrow. Being clapped in to the Sin Bin bar in Hull after we won there in 2017 was certainly an unexpected bonus. 

How could I forget Whitehaven, another gem, not so much on a Thursday night away.  I also had a thing for the Don Valley, felt like being at a European football game.

Most random away was watching the Mile High challenge in Denver 2018, epic three weeks away.

13 minutes ago, Viking Ste said:

How could I forget Whitehaven, another gem, not so much on a Thursday night away.  I also had a thing for the Don Valley, felt like being at a European football game.

Most random away was watching the Mile High challenge in Denver 2018, epic three weeks away.

Funnily enough I used to make a similar Soviet Bloc analogy, but Don Valley is bottom of the bottom for me, marginally ahead of Odsal. To the extent that I stopped bothering going when we played Sheffield away. Always thought it was like having the game on a portable TV in the living room but choosing to watch it from the kitchen. Shame as Sheffield Utd away is my favourite football away day, but it didn’t quite work when the Eagles played there either. 

56 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Funnily enough I used to make a similar Soviet Bloc analogy, but Don Valley is bottom of the bottom for me, marginally ahead of Odsal. To the extent that I stopped bothering going when we played Sheffield away. Always thought it was like having the game on a portable TV in the living room but choosing to watch it from the kitchen. Shame as Sheffield Utd away is my favourite football away day, but it didn’t quite work when the Eagles played there either. 

Oh , I don't know , the Spearmint Rhino girls improved things 😉

1. Wembley

2. Newcastle (Magic)

3. Cardiff (Magic)

4. Catalans

5. Whichever part of London the Broncos are based at that time.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Should have been Toronto at 1 by a country mile, but on a places I will hopefully visit in 2021/22 perspective it is:

1. Catalans

2. Newcastle magic

3. Any England game

4. The Grand Final

If Tolouse or York get promoted this year then they will be a firm favourite in 2022.

Quite like going to both Hull clubs as it's got a RL city feel and being at the end of the M62 seem almost dangerously expansionist to our current  leadership regime, that makes them both feel quite exotic to a Lancastrian.

Honourary mentions to Warrrington, Leeds, Castleford and St Helens who always generate a good atmosphere.

Least favourite are Huddersfield, Leigh and Salford, I find they are all just very dull and very bland experiences.

Wakefield is an ugly dump, but to be fair it's never rained when I've visited and there is plenty of free parking.

2 hours ago, Viking Ste said:

I was there on a 2 week road trip. The game was a surreal but unforgettable experience. Also some of the nicest car parking stewards I have ever met, told them we were from the UK and they let us park for free right next to the main stand where the running horses are.

Catalans - what a weekend was had

Toulouse - not as good as Perpignan and airport was a bad experience 

Wigan, Wire then Saints of the Derby’s 

HKR - as the older fans know about being in the

Fax - pubs and view of a awful playing surface

then most clubs with the exception of Sheffield And Batley which I tend to avoid

In the spirit of the question:-

Batley

Whitehaven

Barrow

Swinton

Obviously the trips to Catalans, Toulouse and London are great for the trip value and of those Catalans for the match day experience.

Bloomfield Road,scene of our 2 National Cup wins

Toulouse

Wigan St Pats

Leigh East

Old Trafford

Suncorp,been 3 times as a Roosters & England supporter & lost narrowly each time,but Caxton Street is as good a place to drown sorrows as anywhere.

Toronto fantastic experience

Toulouse ditto

Batley for the food

Barrow for the welcome

Edinburgh nice place to visit

Cardiff ditto

Dublin with England Lionhearts

Serbia ditto

Kilkenny with Cov Bears

In fact the more I think about it it is hard to find somewhere I haven't been to and liked about something. 

My first two visits to York were the most unfriendly.I went with my Directors hat on and our whole party was completely ignored from when we got there until the time we left.  I am glad to say that thanks to John Flatman the whole experience has turned around, it is a pleasure to go there now.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Newcastle and Cardiff have always been good fun - Wembley too to a lesser extent.

Cas can be fun, but equally I'm glad its only once a year. 

I don't mind Hull.

Wakey is good (barring the ground), great city to eat and drink in, possibly better than Leeds in some ways if you know where to go.

Archived