Favorite away days

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Wembley, loved the weekends with lads, especially cock tavern in Euston.

Before NCL,  days out to Cumbria when drawn away in the BARLA Cup. Then obligatory stop off in Ulverstone on way back.

Always had a good Craic and made very welcome at Dewsbury Moor.

Millom lovely setting and always nice to meet up with Dumpy and friends pre  game.

1. Underbank Rangers for the stunning scenery and the hot beef sandwiches.

2. Barrow / Whitehaven / Workington for the stunning scenery and the posh service station stop-off.

3  York at Bootham Crescent for the childhood memories.

4. Toronto / Denver because totaly bonkers going there for games. Gagging for Ottawa next year.

5. Cru-cru-Crusaders for the Wrexham Lager.

As others have said though I love all away trips. A day out from the concrete jungle, meeting some lovely people, drinking ther beer etc. 

On 29/01/2021 at 23:24, JohnM said:

1, Wembley 1988

2. Wembley 1989

3. Wembley 1990

4. Wembley 1991

5. Wembley 1992

6. Well, you get the idea, I guess...

When Wigan were full time and everyone else was part time?

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Not an away day from a club perspective but England v Tonga in Auckland in the last World Cup semi was my favourite RL experience bar none, and that includes trips to Wembley, SL Grand Finals, NRL Grand Finals, State of Origins, World Cup finals... It was absolutely unforgettable 

And spending  a week in Lloret for Catalans v Hull was pretty damn good too (if you forget about the actual game, which was rubbish, we lost 😆, and that most user unfriendly beer token system at the bar at the ground)

North Wales is always a belting day out, great people there, very welcoming and a good laugh

York was always a great day out too for similar reasons to the wales one.

Newcastle is good except for the one time we went during their tropical rain season, stuck on a boozer next to the ground watching rivers of water run down the roads.

Loved the Cardiff CC final, stayed in Cardiff first year and Bristol the 2nd. Actually enjoyed Bristol more, lovely City.

Had some good trips to Leeds in the past too, doing the yard of ale in the skyrack...well when I say doing, I mean pouring it all over my face, obviously.

On 29/01/2021 at 21:34, Viking Ste said:

I have personally enjoyed my away day trips to Championship clubs more than Super League in my 25 years of following my team.  My top 5 are as follows:

1. Batley

2. Halifax

3. London Broncos / Skolars

4. Toulouse

5. Gateshead 

Always said Batley is my favourite away day. Genuinely the fixture I look out for and when it was on my birthday weekend in the July of 2019, I was buzzing its like a mini summer bash with the atmosphere of the beer garden behind the stand and cracking home fans and volunteers too. 

20 hours ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

When Wigan were full time and everyone else was part time?

Completely irrelevant,  even if it were true that Wigan was a professionally run outfit in a sport of amateur bungling.  No. Just look at the title and theme of the thread. I can of course understand why a Warrington fan would not count going to Central Park or the DW as a faveawayday. 😃😃😃

31 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Completely irrelevant,  even if it were true that Wigan was a professionally run outfit in a sport of amateur bungling.  No. Just look at the title and theme of the thread. I can of course understand why a Warrington fan would not count going to Central Park or the DW as a faveawayday. 😃😃😃

Oooo the day kelvin skerret went airborne was a memorable day out at CP

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/02/2021 at 06:56, JohnM said:

We had our share of success at central Park, more than a lot of other teams did.  Two central park  Warrington  wins that immediately come to mind are the premiership trophy semi final in 1986 when we won at Wigan despite being massive underdogs that day by 23-12, before beating Halifax 38-10 in the final the following week at Elland Road. Then we had the 1986-7 season where Wigan won 28 of their 30 league games, their two loses being Warrington at Wilderspool where Wigan lost 23-12, and Warrington at central Park where Wigan lost 6-4. 

Ive had dour days at Central Park as a Warrington fan, but I've had plenty of happy ones too! 

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Wigan away at Sheffield in the Challenge Cup at Bramall Lane in 2010, it was my first year at university in the city, I lived in halls that were actually on Bramall Lane itself, it was also a chance to show my university friends this great sport and to catch up with my fellow Wiganers too.

On 30/01/2021 at 02:00, sweaty craiq said:

Catalans - what a weekend was had

Toulouse - not as good as Perpignan and airport was a bad experience 

Wigan, Wire then Saints of the Derby’s 

HKR - as the older fans know about being in the

Fax - pubs and view of a awful playing surface

then most clubs with the exception of Sheffield And Batley which I tend to avoid

Why do you miss Batley away? Still have nightmares over that 1st day defeat.. 

is that you rangi 

my top 3: 

Hull Kr - always was a decent day out never had a bad experience there 

fev 

fax/York 

6 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Why do you miss Batley away? Still have nightmares over that 1st day defeat.. 

is that you rangi 

my top 3: 

Hull Kr - always was a decent day out never had a bad experience there 

fev 

fax/York 

1. Some mainly Older Fans (not all) vile and shocking language, only place I offered to take the discussion away from the terrace in last 30 years

2. Too much of the game played in the deep end

3. Was that the year we walked the league and went up?

Catalans is outstanding. A lot of people double it up as a holiday too. You can't beat it.

I have always liked going to Batley. A proper throw back. Proper RL people. 

In Super League I'd say my favourite away day is Warrington. Town centre close by, decent number of pubs. Lovely stadium. I think they let you out for a half time smoke as well. 

Top 3 all time:

WCC @ Melbourne - Getting the wife out to Aus for a few weeks combined with Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Melbourne takes some beating. In the ground talking to folks from RL country now plying their trades in HK, Singapore and Aus was quite special and showed just how wide the reach of RL is. It also defied all logic of what a 'typical' RL fan was. Ryan Hall going in for the first try in front of us was pretty special. The next 74 mins of the match was unfortunately one way traffic.

Catalan: Cant beat a boys trip for a few days. Too much alcohol, too much food. Great times by all.

Wembley: For the exact same reasons as Catalan above, albeit condensed into a 48hr period.

Interestingly, none of the top 3 make it because of the pitch action...

Archived