Loveable Rogues

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Paul Woods & Ronnie Wileman at Hull FC.

Paul Woods came to play for Cardiff and the fans (football club converts) loved him, chanting Woodsy, Woodsy, Woodsy when he ran out on the field.

He'd turn towards them and raise his arms (forearms covered in tape, which looked like plaster of paris) egging them on.

Ten minutes later, he'd be in the bin.

He was so aggressive, (a nut job) even his team mates were at risk.

My friend, Bob Fleay was jogging off the training field one night and got to the changing room door at the same time as Paul and not realising he was there, got momentarily jammed in the single door frame with him.

They both bounced out, so Bob stood back and with an upturned open palm allowed Paul Woods to go first.

Woodsy smashed him in the chops.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest. Based on quite a few of the names on this thread... where does loveable rogue end and absolute nutjob start?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Out of interest. Based on quite a few of the names on this thread... where does loveable rogue end and absolute nutjob start?

Although the title says lovable rogue the first post asks which players whip the crowd up into a frenzy. So I think nut jobs have to be included. I suppose lovable rogue when they play for your club and dirty barsteward when they don’t. 

Paul Penrice for town was a master at winding the opposition up, no idea what he did/said but it seemed almost every tackle he was involved in whether attack or defending the opposition would stand up furious with him 😀. Got us loads of penalties. 

51 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

No mention of Jim Mills yet. Andy Gregory had it in him also Jeff Grayson. 

Big Jim stamping on that Kiwi's head was one of the most awful things I ever saw on a rugby field. In fact, it was the most awful, no doubt about it.

Edit in, the Youtube evidence

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Paul Woods came to play for Cardiff and the fans (football club converts) loved him, chanting Woodsy, Woodsy, Woodsy when he ran out on the field.

He'd turn towards them and raise his arms (forearms covered in tape, which looked like plaster of paris) egging them on.

Ten minutes later, he'd be in the bin.

He was so aggressive, (a nut job) even his team mates were at risk.

My friend, Bob Fleay was jogging off the training field one night and got to the changing room door at the same time as Paul and not realising he was there, got momentarily jammed in the single door frame with him.

They both bounced out, so Bob stood back and with an upturned open palm allowed Paul Woods to go first.

Woodsy smashed him in the chops.

Played 5 aside football against Paul and had the misfortune to collide with him.

Genuinely, it was like crashing into a wall.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

I certainly wouldn't put him in the "loveable rogue" bracket, more "whipping the crowd", Joe Grima in his Widnes days. He'd get the opposition crowd baying for his blood.

I saw him against Cas a few times, and others when watching scrumdown, and how he stayed on the park was a mystery at times.

I know, of course, that he was playing the game on the edge, in the days of the biff, but he was definitely one of the players to get oppo fans screaming.

2 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Big Jim stamping on that Kiwi's head was one of the most awful things I ever saw on a rugby field. In fact, it was the most awful, no doubt about it.

Edit in, the Youtube evidence

You can take the boy from Union but can't take Union from the boy.

8 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Skerret

Cullen

Bailey

I would not count bailey, cheap shotter, always found a much smaller man to hit but backed off when the big lads stepped in to protect their friend!

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

48 minutes ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

I would not count bailey, cheap shotter, always found a much smaller man to hit but backed off when the big lads stepped in to protect their friend!

Absolutely but I also think that wound the crowd up even more. 

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

sam barlow.keith mason,shane williams..

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

Stephen Jones.....only joking he is the devil incarnate.

Brendan Tutu, baby faced assasin

Brendon Tuuta had the same impact on Rugby League , as the blades sticking out of Boadicea's chariot wheels had on Roman jockeys. Definitely a bloke you wanted in your team rather than a bloke who was in their team. 

Archived