Loveable Rogues

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Shome mistake shurly. The title is LOVEABLE rogue. 

He had something of a renaissance in the later years of his career under Ian Millward and particularly Paul Terzis. They somehow managed to channel his aggression in the right direction and he ended up being a huge part of the 2001 side that swept all before them (until it mattered...) 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There was a period towards the end of the 90’s/early 00’s where the game had Sonny Nickle, Mick Cassidy, Barrie McDermott, Neil Cowie, Vila Matautia, Jamie Peacock, Stuart Fielden, Dean Sampson etc (I’ve probably missed a number of names). There was a huge list of absolute animals around that period that weren’t backwards in coming forwards. 

Great times.  Games were never dull

Animals a bit harsh.  They could all play too

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Can anyone remember Mike Nicholas

Beat me to it.  I remember one game where he had a stand up fight with Dennis Curling.  For those who don't know, they were both Wire players.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

On 01/02/2021 at 16:10, Hela Wigmen said:

There was a period towards the end of the 90’s/early 00’s where the game had Sonny Nickle, Mick Cassidy, Barrie McDermott, Neil Cowie, Vila Matautia, Jamie Peacock, Stuart Fielden, Dean Sampson etc (I’ve probably missed a number of names). There was a huge list of absolute animals around that period that weren’t backwards in coming forwards. 

I’ll dispute that. None of those players would have stood a chance against the nutters from the sixties and seventies. End of. Fielden and Sampson were not even hard men at the time, if you think they were I suggest you talk to players from earlier generation or Willie Mason.

12 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I’ll dispute that. None of those players would have stood a chance against the nutters from the sixties and seventies. End of. Fielden and Sampson were not even hard men at the time, if you think they were I suggest you talk to players from earlier generation or Willie Mason.

This is the attitude that drags Rugby League down. 

I will never forget Bailey causing a bunch of Wire players losing discipline and break ranks and chase after him in the closing stages of a Grand Final . Not a lovable rogue more of a Pantomime villain 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 01/02/2021 at 10:27, Damien said:

Kelvin Skerrett.

I knew a lad who was a Wigan fan, he was present at the birth of his son, he said he would name the son Kelvin because he came out elbow first 😄

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 01/02/2021 at 21:48, Pie tries said:

Stephen Jones.....only joking he is the devil incarnate.

Brendan Tuuta, baby faced assassin

Toots was very popular in Fev.  Several lookey likey kids in Fev apparently called Brendan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 02/02/2021 at 08:10, JohnM said:

Shome mistake shurly. The title is LOVEABLE rogue. 

Was it him or Andy Dannatt that broke Hanley's jaw?  Can't remember, Timmy did play for Hull for a bit didn't he?

Clement Attlee.

On 01/02/2021 at 16:54, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Many look back fondly and reminisce about Rocky Turner's antics.  He was a bit of a lad.

He didn't take many prisoners, neither did Don Vines and Jack Wilkinson

Clement Attlee.

On 02/02/2021 at 17:30, DEANO said:

Both of the March boys

I remember a wakey supporting work colleague commenting if they were in a locked room, they'd fight themselves. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

There is a difference between Lovable Rogue and Nut Jobs !  Most mentioned are Nut Jobs !!!😂😂

Tony Cottrell at Leigh was a Lovable Rogue because he just hated everyone and laughed with it. Off the field - Gentleman, but would have a go at any Nutter of the opposition and absolutely detested Henderson Gill !!

Les Boyd - Nutter , but I spoke to Les a few years ago at a Sportsmans dinner about Tony Cottrell and he was fully aware of him !! Lovely bloke and when he wanted to play Rugby, was one of the best.

Tamati - Hard ! as was Kurt Sorenson. Them Kiwis don't mess about.

I wouldnt say there are really any dirty players in todays game. The most recent enforcers are probably Gorden Tallis and Ron Gibbs in Australia and who would mess with Peacock and Sculthorpe, both of whom are just hard lads without being dirty.

Tim Street in his younger days was just a lunatic. Lost Leigh plenty of games, but showed his quality when matured. Always the first to drive it in after a Melee. Loved the biff.

I do wish the niggle was brought back into the game along with a good old shoulder charge. All this wrestling lark isnt good viewing at times. Lets hope we get some packed houses back soon this season. We all need a break !

Archived