Workington Sports Village

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Spike said:

Chuckled when mr Jenkinson said he has long been an advocate for a new stadium 🤣

I can remember when Jenky used to come on this forum to defend his comments when the original stadium plan was pulled by the newly elected council.

In fairness to him he always insisted he was fully for a new stadium as well as the redevelopment of the river area between the sports centre and borough park but not at the cost which could potentially have put the Council and its residents (ie all of us) at huge financial risk.

At the end of the day it wasn’t the stadium that was the problem it was the spiralling costs and seemingly lack of viable plan,  hence the forever moving goalposts.

I think we have to draw a line under this now and all look forward to seeing what plans emerge for the area over the summer. With any luck the stadium will be the first thing built and we could all be watching sport in it by 2023.

In regards to Rep games, we will still see Cumbria rep games at the new stadium and if there’s another World Cup in the UK I’m sure we will see games from the smaller sides on the group stages.

Does anyone know if this Town funding thing is a loan or an grant? There's nothing on the government site or in the letter that the oaf has put on his Facebook page to show which it is.

I still think 5000 is too small a capacity unless its easily extendable.

3 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

its an investment grant, but I don't now if ABC are borrowing additional monies to enhance the scheme, no doubt the full details will be released shortly, and hopefully there will be some sort of public consultation before the first sod is dug 

Is there a link to somewhere that shows its a grant and not a repayment?

20 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

hats off to all involved and it’s nice to see our member of Parliament finally bringing investment to west Cumbria.

Aye amazing with a Tory MP (Well for the minute he is) in charge the Tories suddenly take an interest in the area, not buying votes or anything no siree.  He's a disgrace who stopped the proposal in its tracks, but hey you give him praise.

Of course it would be stupid to look a gift horse in the mouth, and lets face it both grounds however much they pull on the supporters heart strings desperately need renewed.  But the sceptic in me still has a niggle about this whole thing. £23m is a great kick start to the projects but how much will left for the stadium and the surrounding area after the port and the other projects have been funded?

Our MP made a lot of noise and unsubstantiated claims about the end cost to the public of the old stadium proposal and to this day still hasn't published the 'stress test' he claims was carried out on the figures by an independent firm, he blocked the people off his social media who chased him to do it. Some of the posts he put on here were unbelievably naïve. He will no doubt cast himself as the savior and take as many plaudits as he can if this goes ahead, no matter what the cost or how compromised the scheme will be because of the funds that will need to be borrowed to see all of the projects fulfilled.

My biggest fear is that the stadium will be so compromised by budget that it will not allow either club to make good revenue and grow. If both teams end up with a two sided biscuit tin with second rate facilities that neither of them own and is badly designed then what happens to the clubs? I'm not hugely bothered about the 5k capacity, but to allow the clubs to generate revenue it needs to have high class facilities so the clubs have an income all year round. A local example would be Whitehaven golf club, the course was nothing special with a portacabin club house but they had the foresight to invest in a top class clubhouse with conferencing/ entertainment facilities second to none around here and have transformed the club. This stadium needs that type of investment, as how many wedding venues or function rooms are left in the town? A top quality pub/ function room and conference area overlooking the river could fund the stadium running costs itself.  But because MJ has already drawn the line in the sand with the purse strings, I fear it could end up being a botch that neither club wants but has to settle for because they have little alternative.

I would like nothing more than to be proved wrong and hope it can be the feather in the towns cap as it deserves to be, but I have no faith in the people running ABC or our MP to make it everything it should be as I don't think any of them have the required drive to see it through properly.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

1 hour ago, The Voodooguru said:

Of course it would be stupid to look a gift horse in the mouth, and lets face it both grounds however much they pull on the supporters heart strings desperately need renewed.  But the sceptic in me still has a niggle about this whole thing. £23m is a great kick start to the projects but how much will left for the stadium and the surrounding area after the port and the other projects have been funded?

Our MP made a lot of noise and unsubstantiated claims about the end cost to the public of the old stadium proposal and to this day still hasn't published the 'stress test' he claims was carried out on the figures by an independent firm, he blocked the people off his social media who chased him to do it. Some of the posts he put on here were unbelievably naïve. He will no doubt cast himself as the savior and take as many plaudits as he can if this goes ahead, no matter what the cost or how compromised the scheme will be because of the funds that will need to be borrowed to see all of the projects fulfilled.

My biggest fear is that the stadium will be so compromised by budget that it will not allow either club to make good revenue and grow. If both teams end up with a two sided biscuit tin with second rate facilities that neither of them own and is badly designed then what happens to the clubs? I'm not hugely bothered about the 5k capacity, but to allow the clubs to generate revenue it needs to have high class facilities so the clubs have an income all year round. A local example would be Whitehaven golf club, the course was nothing special with a portacabin club house but they had the foresight to invest in a top class clubhouse with conferencing/ entertainment facilities second to none around here and have transformed the club. This stadium needs that type of investment, as how many wedding venues or function rooms are left in the town? A top quality pub/ function room and conference area overlooking the river could fund the stadium running costs itself.  But because MJ has already drawn the line in the sand with the purse strings, I fear it could end up being a botch that neither club wants but has to settle for because they have little alternative.

I would like nothing more than to be proved wrong and hope it can be the feather in the towns cap as it deserves to be, but I have no faith in the people running ABC or our MP to make it everything it should be as I don't think any of them have the required drive to see it through properly.

agree with all of that regarding the facilities, the twitter link is an interview with David bowden and he stated a fee of just over £5m but also states the clubs can apply for more funding from their own sporting bodies, FA, football foundation etc.

think we need to trust both sets if directors and see what they push for and then judge when we see the plans.

On 03/03/2021 at 21:03, Mr Frisky said:

Yep onwards and upwards, just hope they elevate the stands and we don't have a bigger version of Havens main seated stand which is at pitch level and very poor to watch RL.

Seems we will never again see a top rep match with just 5K capacity but I suppose we need to move on sometime so let's hope things get moving.

I think there will be only one seated stand, but I agree that seats too low should be avoided. That's why I would like to see terracing in front. Even four or five steps would be enough.

1 hour ago, Jacksonville said:

I think there will be only one seated stand, but I agree that seats too low should be avoided. That's why I would like to see terracing in front. Even four or five steps would be enough.

Yep, totally agree - a modern version of our current main stand would be great.

1 hour ago, Jacksonville said:

Nothing wrong with only 1 seated stand - we only have 1 now. Just make sure its a good one

When planning a new stadium it should be future proofed - no good building something that's out of date in a year or 2.

As previously said Town "could" be in Super league in 2 years [unlikely but it is possible]. So minimum spec must be catered for now just in case. No good saying we will do it when required.

To do BP up reds are going to have to vacate for the work to be carried out because it is too small to do at same time it is not like the much larger DP which has the space to work on a stand or terracing whilst still operating. 

So if we are both at BP and DP sold off by ABC where will we all go in future for any upgrades?

Lots of negative comment appearing on social media about the new ground. Waste of money! .money could be put to better use etc.  I wouldn't be suprised if it gets knocked on the head too or the budget is reduced. I'll believe its happening when they're digging the foundations. I wouldn't  be suprised to see someone head a campaign to block it 

1 hour ago, town4me said:

Lots of negative comment appearing on social media about the new ground. Waste of money! .money could be put to better use etc.  I wouldn't be suprised if it gets knocked on the head too or the budget is reduced. I'll believe its happening when they're digging the foundations. I wouldn't  be suprised to see someone head a campaign to block it 

its isn't just about town and reds, a facility for the community use. there seems a real desire from the clubs and the council to make this happen.

A question to ask? Was the pitch going to be  3g or 4g etc not grass.?they say it for community use too. Its ok for rugby league to play on as newcastle and widnes etc can play on it. But if the reds has aspirations to get in football league, you carn't have synthetic pitches must be grass.

42 minutes ago, David69 said:

A question to ask? Was the pitch going to be  3g or 4g etc not grass.?they say it for community use too. Its ok for rugby league to play on as newcastle and widnes etc can play on it. But if the reds has aspirations to get in football league, you carn't have synthetic pitches must be grass.

I was under the impression it will be one of those hybrid pitches that the premier league teams use and there will be a full sized 4g pitch alongside on lonsdale park,however 4g pitches are used in non league right up to national league 

1 hour ago, Route66 said:

I was under the impression it will be one of those hybrid pitches that the premier league teams use and there will be a full sized 4g pitch alongside on lonsdale park,however 4g pitches are used in non league right up to national league 

yeah this. 

4 hours ago, Route66 said:

I wonder if that Maryport firm would be the supplier for the pitch?

Archived