Mal Harrison

DiddyDave

Just been informed by his daughter that Mal`s been rushed to hospital in a bad way,possible covid. Mal`s been a staunch Hornets and Mayfield supporter for decades,former Hornets kitman too. Many on here will know Mal,I`m sure we all wish him the best and hope he pulls through.

Very sad news about Mal who is a huge rugby man and let’s hope that he pulls through this awful pandemic. I’m sure we all wish him well and our regards to both him and his family. 

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

Malcolm Thomas Harrison passed peacefully away just after midday Monday 8th,February. He asked to come off the CPAP machine he was on and the end came quickly as he knew it would. I`ve known him since Coronation time 1953 when my family moved to the top end of Oswald Street,us at 19,Mal and his brother Charlie at 18. We both went to Heybrook School,he was two years older than me so we had different mates and I rarely saw him once he left at 15. Quite a dare devil,once riding his motor bike he was all but killed outside the baths mid 60s,fell thirty feet off a girder at a building site in Yorkshire late 60s and broke his back in a parachuting accident in Australia late 90s. He had a severe stroke a few years ago,but more or less got over it only for this covid to finally get him at age 74. Talk about a cat with nine lives. He was married three times,has two daughters,two sons and countless grand kids and great grands in Rochdale and Melbourne. I can`t believe he`s gone,I looked up to him so much when we were kids and after we met up again in New Zealand in late 2006,kept in touch every few weeks or so on Skype,always with the latest news of Hornets and Mayfield. He was over the moon when Hornets made him kitman,devastated a few years later when they pushed him out,but was still always a Hornets man. Farewell Mal,sleep well my friend.

Very sad news. Hoping he bumps into the other Hornets fans whohave departed over the last few years. He will contribute to their discussions in a big way. 

Give your loved ones a big hug today....you never know when they will be taken from us, particularly in these awful times.

Very sad news about Mal. a Hornets through and through. Yet another loss to our club and Mayfield. My heart goes out to his family and all the other families that have lost their dear ones from this awful disease.

RIP MAL

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

So sorry to hear about the passing of Mal. He was a died in the wool Rugby Man. He will be sadly missed at Hornets and Mayfield.

I enjoyed many chats with him about the game that he loved. He also got involved in Rochdale Walking Football until his health put paid to that.

RIP Mal a true rugby supporter.

If anyone has any information re his funeral i would appreciate the details please. 

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

I should`ve added,Mal was also known as Archie,indeed a lot of people will only know him by that name. Apparently when he was about 5 and just started school,he was given a terrible (in his words) short back and sides,so one of the kids called him Archibald and the first part stuck. 

Don`t know when his funeral will be,or if they`ll put it in the Obby. I was told the MEN charge 135 pounds for a single insert,large or small,so the family might not want to do that.

Latest info I have is that Mal`s service will be at Rochdale Crematorium on Monday,March 1st at 11.10. He`ll go from his flat on Queens Drive,on to Mayfield`s ground,then to the Crem. It`ll be on Webcam for us in Oz,or for you in the UK who can`t make it,or if there are too many who want to attend.

Yes, Mal was an active member of the Rochdale Stroke Foundation,so any donations could be kindly sent to them. Only 22 people allowed on the day and I would imagine that number will be easily made up of family,so as soon as I hear from his daughters,Sammy or Tia,re the webcast,people can pay their respects to either nearer the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who wants to follow Mals funeral, go to Website  https://www.obitus.com/

Username Meku2007

Password 317236

The website will go live 5 minutes before the service starts and that is on at 11.10. Monday 1st March.

If you`ve done it right, you should see a small waterfall going down a bank and a duck swims across from left to right.

Good luck. DD

mal`f funeral

Lovely service, short and sweet as things have to be these days. Mal was his own man, he lived life to the full, loved his rugby, his beer, his mates and his family. As he always said in his emails, Christmas and birthday cards, Blue Skies Dave. Well, Blue Skies to you too Mal, wherever you are now. 

Archived