Ralph Rimmer

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

mmmm good at arithmetic as distinct from Maths... and macro's & pivot tables...

I'll give you the arithmetic over maths (though arguably to cook properly you may need to know more complicated maths than just arithmetic) but guessing the macros and pivot tables can be done for you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Rimmer has been good in a crisis. Rugby league secured support very early - nearly seven months before any other sport - and secured more as part of the winter package.

There’s another crisis looming for the RFL though - the new TV deal. How it manages the drop in income and monetises streaming is the tricky bit.

I agree with this as Mr. Rimmer appears to have brought the whole game together in a crisis and delivered government support to all quickly. Maybe he's the one to go onto keeping the game together in 2022 under a new but lower TV contract. 

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Rimmer has been good in a crisis. Rugby league secured support very early - nearly seven months before any other sport - and secured more as part of the winter package.

There’s another crisis looming for the RFL though - the new TV deal. How it manages the drop in income and monetises streaming is the tricky bit.

I agree with this as Mr. Rimmer appears to have brought the whole game together in a crisis and delivered government support to all quickly. Maybe he's the one to go onto keeping the game together in 2022 under a new but lower TV contract. 

10 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Hi Ralph, decided to join the forum? 

37 minutes ago, audois said:

Richard Lewis

From the off

Director of Tennis,LTA

Chairmam of the RFL

Chairman of the RLEF

Chair of Sport England

CEO Wimbledon Tennis

*Sorry John you beat me to it!

But you put it better! 🖒

1 hour ago, RP London said:

I'll give you the arithmetic over maths (though arguably to cook properly you may need to know more complicated maths than just arithmetic) but guessing the macros and pivot tables can be done for you.

chuckle... to be fair... the CFOs I've worked with have all been more strategic than me... now I'm not saying whether that's a low bar or a high bar...

Mr Rimmer hasn’t done a bad job, but he’s not the type of person that when he talks people sit up and listen and take note.

I started listening to the Forty20 podcast last night, but within 10mins his voice knocked me to sleep. But that could be a big positive as well. 

This is an aside, but does anybody know if Ralph is related to Rob Rimmer, who is nowadays, I believe, chairman of Maryport Harbour Authority?  I wonder if they might be brothers.

Many years ago, I was on an interview panel for a job to do with promoting the Settle & Carlisle Railway, for which Rob applied.  In fact, he got it.  His most memorable answer to a question was when we asked one of the classic, interview stock questions about what ambitions do you have.  He said that he only ever had one really big ambition, which was to play professional rugby league, and he had achieved that with - I think he said - Rochdale Hornets.

36 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

This is an aside, but does anybody know if Ralph is related to Rob Rimmer, who is nowadays, I believe, chairman of Maryport Harbour Authority?  I wonder if they might be brothers.

Or Shane Rimmer, the voice of Scott Tracy.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Thanks for the replies, they sort of confirm my own thoughts, but I just wanted to be sure I was reading things right, given you guys over there will here much more from him than I could.

He strikes me as safe and steady, but also uninspiring and boring. He may well have been the ideal man to be in charge during COVID but as we emerge he almost certainly does not have the charisma or creative ideas that are going to be necessary if the game is to do anything more than mark time in the future, nor do I think he has the persuasive powers to get the bigger club chairmen to support him. He mentioned change a few times in the interview, but I wonder what his ideas for change would be, and I suspect it’s unlikely that he would find it easy to get support, unless his idea of change is to serve strong coffee at every RFL meeting, in order to keep everyone awake!

Plenty of assessments on his character and abilities on this thread, clearly be people who have had personal dealings with him.

The majority of those who HAVE had direct contact with him, such as the chairmen of Championship clubs, have been full of praise over how the RFL has handled the Covid situation, how he battled to defend and protect them against the greed of some SL clubs and his good connections withing government.

A real skill that he obviously has is in building a team around him with high levels of competence and ability. That sounds much easier than it really is.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

He gives off the impression of a slightly out of their depth low level company director. A look on his face like he doesn't quite know what he's doing and is hoping no one is going to call him out on it. He strikes me as the sort of man who gets invited to countless dinners/awards but still rents his tux because he thinks he's about to have his collar felt by the board. 

That is however just the impression he gives me I think he's done an admirable job in difficult circumstances. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

That is however just the impression he gives me I think he's done an admirable job in difficult circumstances. 

Know what you mean, he does strike me as the right man for a crisis, and it’s interesting to see BSJ’s comments about how well he is regarded by many Championship club chairmen, I still just don’t think he’s a vision guy though, but maybe if he is good at building teams then he can bring someone like that in to provide the strategy for the future. My biggest worry is how all of this sits with the SL club chairmen, who themselves are not really united, and how we continue to waste precious resources with the two governing bodies.

On 03/02/2021 at 08:25, Man of Kent said:

A deal? Was it a good deal.  How were other deals for other sports?  What has happened to that deal, where is the money, where has it gone?  Will championship play this season? Was there a 3 test series last season. Was there anything else that any other person could have done different?  

You me and others could have painted by the same numbers as he.  Maybe nothing wrong with that.  But let's not get carried away.

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

A deal? Was it a good deal.  How were other deals for other sports?  What has happened to that deal, where is the money, where has it gone?  Will championship play this season? Was there a 3 test series last season. Was there anything else that any other person could have done different?  

You me and others could have painted by the same numbers as he.  Maybe nothing wrong with that.  But let's not get carried away.

Agree with all of this, other than there being any possibility of a 3 match test series last season. 

I must admit to not being overly concerned with the lack of camer-facing charisma, Richard Lewis was a monotone, almost uncomfortable speaker, a very grey 'suit', but he had a vision and knew how to get people on board with it. We do need to remember that this isn't a PR role (even though that will inevitably be a part of it) and we haven't gone for a Hearn, or even a Lindsay, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

None of that means he is the best person in role, as I have little idea on his vision, plans for the future and how we are going to get there. I'm giving both Elstone and Rimmer some leeway before making a judgement on them as their normal role has almost gone by the wayside as they deal with this crisis.  I think this year will be really important, more important, and probably more difficult than last year.

18 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Plenty of assessments on his character and abilities on this thread, clearly be people who have had personal dealings with him.

The majority of those who HAVE had direct contact with him, such as the chairmen of Championship clubs, have been full of praise over how the RFL has handled the Covid situation, how he battled to defend and protect them against the greed of some SL clubs and his good connections withing government.

A real skill that he obviously has is in building a team around him with high levels of competence and ability. That sounds much easier than it really is.

I spoke to him once for a media interview and he was very approachable and massively knowledgeable about all aspects of our sport. The clubs who deal with him and his team regularly have nothing but praise. He's doing a good job at a very difficult time for the sport (pre and post covid). 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

I spoke to him once for a media interview and he was very approachable and massively knowledgeable about all aspects of our sport. The clubs who deal with him and his team regularly have nothing but praise. He's doing a good job at a very difficult time for the sport (pre and post covid). 

There's no place for people with views like yours on this forum, using offensive words such as "praise"    😀 😀

On 03/02/2021 at 13:05, Man of Kent said:

Quick plug for Rimmer's Lot (via What Would Brian Bevan Say?). They nail several RL personalities. I found the Gary Hetherington impression hilarious. 

https://audioboom.com/posts/7695414-rimmer-s-lot-series-1-boxset

I loved this. Got half way through and saved the rest for the next time I need cheering up. Reminded me of the Twelfth Man.

On 03/02/2021 at 18:04, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Yes his brother is called Robert, a giant of a man like Ralph.

Archived