Ralph Rimmer

On 03/02/2021 at 13:05, Man of Kent said:

Quick plug for Rimmer's Lot (via What Would Brian Bevan Say?). They nail several RL personalities. I found the Gary Hetherington impression hilarious. 

https://audioboom.com/posts/7695414-rimmer-s-lot-series-1-boxset

I'm not a Warrington fan but WWBBS is by far the best UK RL club-specific podcast. And yes, Rimmer's Lot is usually the best bit.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'm not a Warrington fan but WWBBS is by far the best UK RL club-specific podcast. And yes, Rimmer's Lot is usually the best bit.

Me neither but it’s got amazingly high production values for a fan podcast. Almost every RL podcast I’ve ever heard is basically blokes chatting for an hour or so but this one is a kind of sitcom. Never heard anything like it. 

On 03/02/2021 at 11:28, Number 16 said:

As fans and stakeholders in the game I think his salary is very much our business. To put his and Elstone's salaries in perspective, their combined annual wages could keep the League 1 clubs afloat for a year. 

Shouldn't lg 1 clubs support themselves through promoting them selves and creating other revenue streams!! Rather than handouts for very little effort on their part!!

On 03/02/2021 at 08:19, Whippet13 said:

Ralph has been a steady leader in 2020, which is maybe what we needed first.

That podcast has a second interview with one of the Hunslet directors (the youngish Australian chap) who was unenthusiastic about how the RFL leadership operates and feels they don't plan ahead or commuincate well. For example, he feels there is a lack of leadership on likely league future structures for when the Sky money dries up, even though that has been clear for a while. Hunslet are apparently already ready for that day and have strict financial management and budgets in place, so it wasnt simply a "poor us" grumble. Not saying that is all there is to it, but I found it an interesting balance to Ralph's interview from a reasonably senior member of a RFL club.

Does Ralph inspire me as a fan? No, but neither does Mr Elstone either. I've not seen anything from either one that looks anything like a serious plan to make the game stronger, even pre-Covid. Ralph seems more "steady as we go" and Robert appears hamstrung by the owners, but neither strike me as great strategists or inspirational leaders. Been said before, but I do think fresh blood from outside RL is needed working alongside deputies who are from the game.

I agree with you pretty much in full.

I too have not been happy with the way that the RFL have not communicated with us regarding the future structures when the SKY funding dries up. And this is in my opinion a very big one.And for me the silence on this is very disturbing. And this should in my opinion have been openly discussed a few years ago when Super League grabbed power of the game.But it is the elephant in the room.

Granted Mr Rimmer has been a steady pair of hands in this immediate period.That is of course good,and he deserves credit for that.But like you I don’t confidence in either Mr Rimmer or Mr Elstone on how they will make the game better and stronger post Covid and post 2022.

Maybe it needs an outsider to sort out this sport once and for all.Maybe a fresh set of eyes is required with new and fresh ideas who can take the sport to the next destination.

9 hours ago, rlfan2020 said:

Shouldn't lg 1 clubs support themselves through promoting them selves and creating other revenue streams!! Rather than handouts for very little effort on their part!!

In short the answer is yes.

But that should really apply to ALL clubs whatever division they are in.

And I have no doubt that if SKY took ALL the money away from ALL clubs then something tells me that even Super League clubs would at best struggle financially.

And I have no doubt that a few Super League clubs depend on the handouts as well.

16 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

In short the answer is yes.

But that should really apply to ALL clubs whatever division they are in.

And I have no doubt that if SKY took ALL the money away from ALL clubs then something tells me that even Super League clubs would at best struggle financially.

And I have no doubt that a few Super League clubs depend on the handouts as well.

They are not handouts, Super league clubs give Sky something for the money that they get.

I also think it is unfair to refer to the funding L1 clubs receive as handouts too, as it suggests that they offer nothing to the game.

Archived