George Burgess

Damien

Left Wigan by mutual consent:

George Burgess has left Wigan Warriors by mutual consent on medical grounds.

With a major operation and the prospect of many months of rehabilitation afterwards, Burgess has decided – with the full agreement of Wigan management – to focus on a return to normal physical health as his top priority. 

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/02/03/club-statement-george-burgess/

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

With a major operation and the prospect of many months of rehabilitation afterwards, Burgess has decided – with the full agreement of Wigan management – to focus on a return to normal physical health as his top priority. 

Possibly he will return to Australia AND TRY and fix himself up with a NRL club

Perhaps it's me, but i think he could have been better than he was at his best

I think this is a massive shame.  When you look at George Burgess in 2014 he was on course to be one of the very best props in the world.  His highlight reel was superb.

His last few years has been hampered by the hip injury and he has simply not been the same.  It must be frustrating not being able to play as you know you can.

I guess he will never be the same player again... if he ever plays again.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It was sad to see how much his chronic hip injury had reduced him to a shadow of the destructive runner he was in his early Souths years.

You have to wonder why he was signed given he’d had this problem for a few seasons but let’s hope he can get it sorted and it doesn’t affect him long term.

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Basically Wigan have binned him off to free up salary cap space because he’s injured. Shouldn’t be allowed in my opinion. The club should be responsible and look after him through his rehabilitation.

You seem to have missed the mutual consent bit. Or just ignored it.

39 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Basically Wigan have binned him off to free up salary cap space because he’s injured. Shouldn’t be allowed in my opinion. The club should be responsible and look after him through his rehabilitation.

I know quite a few ex professional Rugby League players who have had the hip resurfacing done, it’s a less invasive and severe alternative to a full hip replacement.

To a man every single one of them has said they feel they could play on the newly repaired hip and one actually tried very hard to get a contract with his old club after doing pre season training.

The truth is that none of them, no matter how good they felt, were capable of playing anymore. The hip repair simply wouldn’t stand up to the rigours and forces sent through it when playing the game.

I suspect this is the end of George Burgess career, he’s a large man and the stress on the hip will be greater than most. He’s missed a full season already and is set to miss another (2021) he’ll be 30/31 years old trying to make a comeback after major hip surgery. Wigan probably see this but George may not be ready to accept his career is done yet, hence there being no mention of ending his playing days.

He is only 28 so even if it takes him 2 years to properly get over the operation and subsequent recovery he is still young enough to have several years back in the game. Time will tell and good luck to him, hopefully he will return.

If he has a damaged hip it won't get better by age. At 28 he has years of life in front of him but not many years of rugby left.

There is life after rugby, why risk doing more damage?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

If he has a damaged hip it won't get better by age. At 28 he has years of life in front of him but not many years of rugby left.

There is life after rugby, why risk doing more damage?

I absolutely agree with you.

but...

These things are really clear from the outside in but when Rugby is your life (and pretty much your whole family as well) they are less clear.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I know quite a few ex professional Rugby League players who have had the hip resurfacing done, it’s a less invasive and severe alternative to a full hip replacement.

To a man every single one of them has said they feel they could play on the newly repaired hip and one actually tried very hard to get a contract with his old club after doing pre season training.

The truth is that none of them, no matter how good they felt, were capable of playing anymore. The hip repair simply wouldn’t stand up to the rigours and forces sent through it when playing the game.

I suspect this is the end of George Burgess career, he’s a large man and the stress on the hip will be greater than most. He’s missed a full season already and is set to miss another (2021) he’ll be 30/31 years old trying to make a comeback after major hip surgery. Wigan probably see this but George may not be ready to accept his career is done yet, hence there being no mention of ending his playing days.

Sadly that sounds about right...

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think this is a massive shame.  When you look at George Burgess in 2014 he was on course to be one of the very best props in the world.  His highlight reel was superb.

His last few years has been hampered by the hip injury and he has simply not been the same.  It must be frustrating not being able to play as you know you can.

I guess he will never be the same player again... if he ever plays again.

It's a great shame.  At best he has a full season to recover but his playing future is a great doubt.  Sad.  Always sad to see a player injured. And if fit would be available for International selection.

It sounds as if he has not fully retired however, so I presume insurance clauses are not invoked.  I don't expect Wigan are looking to find another prop right now, but I am curious if whatever compensation is agreed counts in the cap?   But from Wigans point of view probably they can look more long term at where they spend their cap.

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I absolutely agree with you.

but...

These things are really clear from the outside in but when Rugby is your life (and pretty much your whole family as well) they are less clear.

Good point, rugby will have been his main focus for much of his life, and no doubt he doesn’t plan for it to end now and this way. He would be best advised to undergo whatever treatment is advised, take time out and then, with medical input take advice as to what he does next. If he hasn’t already he may want to think about doing coaching qualifications, especially if he’s out in Australia. That way, if he does have to retire, he does have a chance to stay in the game in some way.

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Any employer can terminate an employee if they are on long term sick with little chance of returning, they would gave seeked  medical advice and reality is he will never play again

Archived