NRL squads - Top 30, NSW Cup etc.

I have a question on the naming and use of the squads in the Aussie comp.  Using the Raiders for example, here are the squads that they have named https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/02/03/raiders-2021-squad-tracker/

They have an NRL Top 30, named Development Players, On-Going Training and a Raiders NSW Cup squad.

My question is what are the rules surrounding players in these squads playing for other... i.e. can an NRL top 30 player play in NSW Cup and visa versa can a NSW Cup player play in the NRL.  And what are the Development and On-Going Training players allowed to do.

If they can all play in all comps then I am not sure why the squads have to be so strictly named.

Any insight is welcome.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It says that all Top 30, Development Players plus On-Going Training designated players are eligible for the NSW Cup team if not selected for the NRL squad.

If say 20 out of the Top 30, with travelling reserves etc. I am guessing here to make a point, players are picked for the NRL squad on any given week, that leaves 10 Top 30, 6 development players and 7 Train-on players available for the NSW Cup side, that`s 23 players before we even consider the 21 players designated as NSW Cup players.

And yet in the paragraph before it states that as the Raiders are fielding a NSW Cup side this year it will give some Jersey Flegg players the chance to "shine at a higher level". With effectively the 23 plus 21 or 44 players available for NSW Cup how on earth are any Jersey Flegg players going to get a run in the NSW Cup.

Injury lists often run to 5 or 6 players, a badly out of form player or two may go back to the Canberra comp, that could potentially mean that around 15+ players are unavailable. That would still leave potentially around 28 players available for the NSW Cup team.

Maybe there are more injuries than we know. Do the Raiders still have a relationship with Queensland Cup side.

I always thought that these development players and train-on players were ways that a club could have players outside the salary cap, in that they have a special designated budget for them outside the cap. The cap being for the top 30.

Any way that`s about the best I can offer, maybe someone else might be able to shine a bit more light on it.

Wiki:

NRL-listed players who are not selected in their senior teams are made eligible to play in one of the second-tier state leagues: the New South Wales Cup or the Queensland Cup. The system used to accommodate NRL-listed players within these leagues varies considerably from state to state.

For 2021 the following links are made between clubs for reserve type footy:

69D2uZs.png

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It says that all Top 30, Development Players plus On-Going Training designated players are eligible for the NSW Cup team if not selected for the NRL squad.

If say 20 out of the Top 30, with travelling reserves etc. I am guessing here to make a point, players are picked for the NRL squad on any given week, that leaves 10 Top 30, 6 development players and 7 Train-on players available for the NSW Cup side, that`s 23 players before we even consider the 21 players designated as NSW Cup players.

And yet in the paragraph before it states that as the Raiders are fielding a NSW Cup side this year it will give some Jersey Flegg players the chance to "shine at a higher level". With effectively the 23 plus 21 or 44 players available for NSW Cup how on earth are any Jersey Flegg players going to get a run in the NSW Cup.

Injury lists often run to 5 or 6 players, a badly out of form player or two may go back to the Canberra comp, that could potentially mean that around 15+ players are unavailable. That would still leave potentially around 28 players available for the NSW Cup team.

Maybe there are more injuries than we know. Do the Raiders still have a relationship with Queensland Cup side.

I always thought that these development players and train-on players were ways that a club could have players outside the salary cap, in that they have a special designated budget for them outside the cap. The cap being for the top 30.

Any way that`s about the best I can offer, maybe someone else might be able to shine a bit more light on it.

It looks then from that list (remember it is Wiki) that Canberra Raiders  have a stand alone team in NSW Cup

5 hours ago, Graham said:

It looks then from that list (remember it is Wiki) that Canberra Raiders  have a stand alone team in NSW Cup

Is odd though Graham isn`t it, considering that all Top 30 players plus Development players and On-Going Training players are eligible for the NSW Cup team plus the 21 designated NSW Cup players, that`s an awful lot of players floating around. I think a lot of the designated NSW Cup players must drop back down to the Canberra local comp.

One thing I`d say though running your own NSW Cup team and not having  `shared` relationship with another NSW Cup side or  a QLD Cup side is probably a sign of the growing financial strength of the Raiders.

It`s good for the game`s depth overall as well, that`s the equivalence of another whole second tier squad in the system.

A family friend played here in the UK for the reserves of a well known club and was continually frustrated by the way that when an opportunity of a first team place came up through injury to a first team player, the club more often than not bought in a replacement from outside rather than use the reserve  players,

It must be frustrating for the NSW and QLD Cup players if they don't get a game due to NRL players being parachuted in on their club.

Archived