New Challenge Cup Sponsor

Dave T

10 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Certainly not allowed on children's football shirts - I assume it is the same for other sports, but don't know for sure.

I just did a test for Sussex cricket who have a gambling sponsor. The logo is removed for the children's sizes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Its a shame that its a low rent betting sponsor.  Strong attempts being made to end tv betting sponsorship.  The advertisement attempts by the industry to link betting, really meaning internet betting, with 'enjoyment' is quite unconsciable.

But needs must.    And the TV companies also make money out of it.

Jesus wept, yeah RL and betting have never gone together, I despair with this forum at times.

16 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Betting will be all over come 2022 (23 latest) alcohol is still OK however general beer sales Carling/Tetley etc are way down so naming rights for them are off the table nowadays.

Only beer brand that still throws big money at sport (Rugby Union) is Guinness + Greene King has a small naming rights sponsorship for the RU Championship.

Some County Cricket clubs continue to do well from brewers Kent Spitfires (Spitfire ale) however there are strong links Jonathan Neeme is a massive Kent CCC supporter.

The odd premium spirit brand can be found taking out perimeter advertising (Mainly new brands nowadays)

Paul

Down here in Cornwall the long standing sponsors of Non League Football (South West Peninsula League) were Carlsberg. As this is the only recognised sport in the region it was seen as a big deal locally.

Carlsberg pulled the plug a couple of years ago.

The League is now sponsored by a Kitchen Company and the cup competition is financed by a local Funeral Directors (seriously).

Sign of the times I guess. Apparently the funeral business is booming, probably not down to the Football though 😕

2 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I know that firms are having to tighten their belts during these times but we are now left with having a northern based bookmaker sponsoring all of the games major competitions. All this will do is reinforce the notion that RL is a northern working class game even further.

BetFred is a national company.. Living in London I had no idea that it was based in the North, who really cares if it is, as long as it is a national company?

13 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I know that firms are having to tighten their belts during these times but we are now left with having a northern based bookmaker sponsoring all of the games major competitions. All this will do is reinforce the notion that RL is a northern working class game even further.

Its a shame that we haven't been able to get a new sponsor on board, I think diversity of sponsors is important to reduce the risk but BetFred being based in the North is not an issue for anyone in the slightest. 

Please remember Northern does not equal bad. 

13 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

RL is a Northern working class game in this country. While I think gambling sponsorship and advertising should be restricted, that’s a matter for the government to deal with not a minority sport. It’s good to hear we’ve got a paid for sponsorship deal, unlike last seasons free pizza for sponsorship calamity.

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Its a shame that we haven't been able to get a new sponsor on board, I think diversity of sponsors is important to reduce the risk but BetFred being based in the North is not an issue for anyone in the slightest. 

Please remember Northern does not equal bad. 

We also have to figure in what we are selling to sponsors at the moment. There is no corporate presence at games, no players can do public appearances, no crowds in the stadiums. It must be really challenging putting packages together at the moment with the situation being so fluid.

12 hours ago, Click said:

BetFred is a national company.. Living in London I had no idea that it was based in the North, who really cares if it is, as long as it is a national company?

I can walk to a Betfred from my front door here in sunny Hastings. There’s another branch in town. Nobody thinks of it as a Northern company.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, Click said:

2,000-odd shops, successful website too. Started small but the Done brothers are billionaires now.

There certainly was a perception of them being a northern company - 20 years ago you'd hardly see any of their shops in the south. But that has changed dramatically, particularly since they bought many of the shops Ladbrokes/Coral divested when they merged.

2 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

2,000-odd shops, successful website too. Started small but the Done brothers are billionaires now.

There certainly was a perception of them being a northern company - 20 years ago you'd hardly see any of their shops in the south. But that has changed dramatically, particularly since they bought many of the shops Ladbrokes/Coral divested when they merged.

BetFred have a turnover of over £10 Billion. But I think people put far too much emphasis on how big a company is that’s sponsoring a Rugby League product, when really it’s irrelevant, how much they are paying for the sponsorship is what matters.

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

BetFred have a turnover of over £10 Billion. But I think people put far too much emphasis on how big a company is that’s sponsoring a Rugby League product, when really it’s irrelevant, how much they are paying for the sponsorship is what matters.

Whilst I agree the value is incredibly important the full package does matter and it is relevant because big blue chip companies want to be associated with other big blue chip companies. Many companies would simply say no to sports sponsored primarily by betting companies and brands like bachelors mushy peas.

RL being dependent on 1 sponsor or sponsors from a very narrow field is not good. It is dependency like that that has seen the game left without sponsors in the past and with very low sponsorship values.

On 04/02/2021 at 21:07, LeeF said:

Out of interest do any sporting clubs which have alcohol and/ or gambling sponsors on their kit include those logos on junior replicas?

When Kingston press uses to sponsor league 1, kids town tops had there logo on

On 04/02/2021 at 21:07, LeeF said:

Out of interest do any sporting clubs which have alcohol and/ or gambling sponsors on their kit include those logos on junior replicas?

When Wigan had 188Bet as the sponsor a few years ago this was changed to Wigan TV on the kids jerseys. This actually annoyed my children as it meant the jersey wasn't the same and they wanted the 'proper' jersey. Even to my oldest child a betting company meant nothing. I don't think children look into these things in the same way as adults.

I seriously thought that Kingston Press was a chain of regional newspapers a bit like Johnston Press.

I'm not a cider drinker,so it was a couple of years into the sponsorship that a mate put me right. 

On 04/02/2021 at 17:48, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Genuine question. What restrictions are there on alcohol sponsorship? 

Does this cover it - https://thegamethatgotaway.wordpress.com/2016/03/04/cigarettes-and-alcohol-a-history-of-english-rugby-league-sponsorship/

My memory recall ain't too good...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived