Lenagan to sell his stake in Wigan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to see Ian Lenagan walking away from Wigan RL. Perhaps Mike Danson is buying a majority shareholding making IL a minority investor.

With Wigan Athletic still for sale together with the stadium perhaps Danson will be buying more than the Rugby club before long.

30 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

It's hard to see Ian Lenagan walking away from Wigan RL. Perhaps Mike Danson is buying a majority shareholding making IL a minority investor.

With Wigan Athletic still for sale together with the stadium perhaps Danson will be buying more than the Rugby club before long.

Hope he goes one better and just buys Super League and invests in the RFL.... we can only dream.

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Hope he goes one better and just buys Super League and invests in the RFL.... we can only dream.

I think there could be a great Private Equity opportunity here. Has anyone got Robert Elstone's number? I'll happily introduce them to each other for a bargain fee of £250k.

Ian Lenagan has been a wonderful chairman,

In the years following the stadium move under Whelan and Lindsey we gradually started to lose our identity resulting in the dreadful 2005 and 2006 seasons.

Lenagan came in at the right place at the right time and the clubs fortunes changed dramatically both on and off the field. 

From a UK SL point of view, is a a billionaire investing in Wigan a healthy option? Great for Wigan, money in (part of) the game yes but ....I know, I know, every club should attract their own billionaire. They're just being lazy, I know.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 hour ago, corvusxiii said:

From a UK SL point of view, is a a billionaire investing in Wigan a healthy option? Great for Wigan, money in (part of) the game yes but ....I know, I know, every club should attract their own billionaire. They're just being lazy, I know.

Yes it is a good option, we need people like Danson involved in the game. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Aye but I know people who work for one of his media companies and, as far as I know, they’ve never gone unpaid at the end of the month.

I’m not comparing the two directly. I know as much about Danson as I did about Argyle. What I am saying is that Rugby League fans seem to fall over themselves over the next bloke with a promise and a big net worth and start wanting them to do x, y and z. Call it the Lyle Langley effect, if you will. And yes, I have linked The Simpsons to Rugby League. And yes, I’m very proud of that. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not comparing the two directly. I know as much about Danson as I did about Argyle. What I am saying is that Rugby League fans seem to fall over themselves over the next bloke with a promise and a big net worth and start wanting them to do x, y and z. Call it the Lyle Langley effect, if you will. And yes, I have linked The Simpsons to Rugby League. And yes, I’m very proud of that. 

I call the big one ‘Bitey’.

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

He does seem to be genuinely worth a bit and there's not just rugby league articles saying that Bloomberg, Forbes and the like.

Your overall point is sound, though. We are constantly looking for saviours or one person to do everything. That's not how we will ever be successful as a sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Mike Danson. He’d make a few Premier League owners seem like paupers. Worth £1.1 billion, reportedly.

10 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Is Mike Danson a Rugby League fan or just a fan of Wigan RLFC does anybody know?

There is a difference

24 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Is Mike Danson a Rugby League fan or just a fan of Wigan RLFC does anybody know?

There is a difference

Is there? Why dont you go and ask that question to the other 12 or so senior RL chairmen?  Or the other 18 or so others.

Or ask the chairman of Pilkington Recs or Dewsbury Celtic.  Why narrow your prejudice?

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Aye but I know people who work for one of his media companies and, as far as I know, they’ve never gone unpaid at the end of the month.

Did any of Argyles ' miners ' ever not get paid ?

Rugby league should be grateful for the efforts of Lenegan. Hopefully some of the debt can be reduced,as too many clubs are carrying too much debt.

An idea for the journalists on here,I'd be interested to learn how many SL owners are in their 70's? As a sport we could do with some new blood and ideas.

3 minutes ago, cookey said:

Rugby league should be grateful for the efforts of Lenegan. Hopefully some of the debt can be reduced,as too many clubs are carrying too much debt.

An idea for the journalists on here,I'd be interested to learn how many SL owners are in their 70's? As a sport we could do with some new blood and ideas.

Yes , people like Dereck Beaumont 

Archived