Lenagan to sell his stake in Wigan

4 minutes ago, cookey said:

Rugby league should be grateful for the efforts of Lenegan. Hopefully some of the debt can be reduced,as too many clubs are carrying too much debt.

An idea for the journalists on here,I'd be interested to learn how many SL owners are in their 70's? As a sport we could do with some new blood and ideas.

I don't think old owners are necessarily an issue (apart from the obvious risk) - it's the leadership teams at each club that needs the modern ideas. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Wigan can start to move in a more positive direction under new ownership.

The club has remained/returned to being very competitive and Lenagan has done a bit to try to address the club's lack of an asset base but the decline in crowds and increase in losses over the Lenagan era make it a mixed legacy in my view.

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

Hopefully Wigan can start to move in a more positive direction under new ownership.

The club has remained/returned to being very competitive and Lenagan has done a bit to try to address the club's lack of an asset base but the decline in crowds and increase in losses over the Lenagan era make it a mixed legacy in my view.

Why do you think attendances have dropped? Style of play? Matchday experience? Constant changing of structures? Something else?

I think the crowds have declined for a few reasons. It's partly because of Wigan having an ageing fan base and ageing population of the town. Eventually older fans will either stop attending because they are less able to or sadly they pass away. It stands to reason if there are more 80 year olds than 18 year olds watching each year then the crowds will start to decline.

Wigan also have probably taken their eye off the ball in terms of engaging with younger fans and improving the match day experience. Sadly these days there's no atmosphere. Even local games have no big match atmosphere. Only Saints games really feel like watching something special. Games against Wire recently have felt a bit flat. Leeds games used to provide a great atmosphere but they've gone the same way. Part of that is down to the drop in attendances though.

The days when Mick Hogan was at the club were probably the best in terms of creating an atmosphere where you wanted to be at every game and they felt like a big thing. Since then it's felt like the club have been resting on their laurels.

In terms of Danson actually taking over it's hard to know what to expect. I do wonder whether this is linked to Lenagan bidding for Latics. It's believed that Danson has no interest in buying the football club but it may be that Lenagan needs the funds to purchase Latics so selling Wigan is how he'll get them.

I doubt Danson will have any hands on involvement or go about splashing the cash. It's also interesting that Darryl Eales (former Oxford Utd and current Solihull Moors chairman) is now a director of Wigan Warriors and is believed to be part of Lenagan's bid for Latics. Seems likely that the goal is to link the two clubs.

Interesting,

A few years ago people may remember Steve Parkin (Clipper Logistics) making a confirmed bid to buy Wakefield (pre Glover). He promised to pay every penny of Wakefield’s debts in full and to 100% fund a new state of the art stadium out of his own pocket. He told the RFL that he’d make Trinity one of the top clubs in the game and that the embarrassing financial yo-yo that Wakefield had been would never happen again. All he wanted was some assurances that the RFL were not planning to revoke Wakefield’s licence due to their perilous financial state and the Administration order they were under. That’s a totally reasonable and understandable request, he didn’t want to pump hundreds of thousands into the club only for the RFL to demote them and leaving him with a very expensively purchased Championship club. Nigel Wood refused to offer any assurances thus making it financially imprudent for Parkin to invest the money so he walked away and we ended up with Glover/Elston then Carter.

Steve Parkin is now a minority co-owner and sponsor of Leeds United!

What a terribly costly blasé decision by Nigel Wood & the RFL 

I hope Wigan get their man!

Companies House would have evidence of a sale wouldn't it? Danson buying a stake in Lenagan investments was on there. The appointment of Darryl Eales was on there. Surely the sale of the company will either have shown up on there already or do so in the next few days?

19 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Interesting,

A few years ago people may remember Steve Parkin making a confirmed bid to buy Wakefield (pre Glover). He promised to pay every penny of Wakefield’s debts in full and to 100% fund a new state of the art stadium out of his own pocket. He told the RFL that he’d make Trinity one of the top clubs in the game and that the embarrassing financial yo-yo that Wakefield had been would never happen again. All he wanted was some assurances that the RFL were not planning to revoke Wakefield’s licence due to their perilous financial state and the Administration order they were under. That’s a totally reasonable and understandable request, he didn’t want to pump hundreds of thousands into the club only for the RFL to demote them and leaving him with a very expensively purchased Championship club. Nigel Wood refused to offer any assurances thus making it financially imprudent for Parker to invest the money so he walked away and we ended up with Glover/Elston then Carter.

Steve Parker is now a minority co-owner and sponsor of Leeds United!

What a terribly costly blasé decision by Nigel Wood & the RFL 

I hope Wigan get their man!

A potential new owner asking for assurances from the governing body - and he wasn't a pesky Canadian from Toronto? How very dare he!

I read on here how outrageous it was for such unbecoming conduct from the grooming rich guy...

Anyway,the legacy of Lenagan.Good first move - removing Brian Noble from head coach.Then not so good,culminating in appointing Elstone.

Maybe he was good for the club and not so good for the sport.

Football supporters? Huh!

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

3 hours ago, cookey said:

Rugby league should be grateful for the efforts of Lenegan. Hopefully some of the debt can be reduced,as too many clubs are carrying too much debt.

An idea for the journalists on here,I'd be interested to learn how many SL owners are in their 70's? As a sport we could do with some new blood and ideas.

i  keep pointing this out, but go back to fitzpatrick at warrington 2 years ago, he was trying to change things, other club owners dragged their feet, lenaghan and radlinski begrudgingly joined in.

44 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Actually I think he's already sold it, so the Wigan statement is quite correct. A good choice of words.

31 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Companies House would have evidence of a sale wouldn't it? Danson buying a stake in Lenagan investments was on there. The appointment of Darryl Eales was on there. Surely the sale of the company will either have shown up on there already or do so in the next few days?

If this is the case, why would Lenagan say he isn't selling Wigan?  

59 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Not necessarily, there may be a binding agreement to sell, that has not yet been fully implemented.

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Not necessarily, there may be a binding agreement to sell, that has not yet been fully implemented.

If it's not been fully implemented then it hasn't been sold. You suggested above that the club has already been sold, now you're saying there 'may' be a binding agreement to sell. Sounds a bit like backtracking to me. 

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If this is the case, why would Lenagan say he isn't selling Wigan?  

Most people like to announce a sale at a time of their own choosing, but Ian is now 75 and obviously he can't go on forever, so he's planning his succession.

Precisely how that will be structured is down to him and his successor, but in my opinion he deserves praise for bringing someone like Mike Danson into the orbit of the club.

1 minute ago, EagleEyePie said:

If it's not been fully implemented then it hasn't been sold. You suggested above that the club has already been sold, now you're saying there 'may' be a binding agreement to sell. Sounds a bit like backtracking to me. 

When there's a binding agreement to sell, then effectively it has been sold, but unlike when the actual sale takes place, nothing in a binding agreement necessarily has to enter the public domain.

Selling a major sports club is necessarily a complex transaction.

Archived