Top 8 predictions!

DG70

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Salfords issue is historical debt and lack of benefactor - similar to Wakefield, Carters eagerness to take the Schilling says things will be very tough and I believe Salford were the same

Well the lack of debt apart and the fact that Carter is Wakey's benefactor and Salford have a modern stadium to play in and have been in two finals in two years your assessment is more accurate than most.

Wakey and SRD never before seen in the same room the parallels are remarkable!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Salford have very little if any Historical debt, it was all wiped when they defaulted on the CVA.

They do not have a benefactor that is true which is why they budget accordingly. It will be tough as it will for all clubs but they will be fine

Forgot about the default on the CVA - great bit of business to take the points deduction when it didnt matter. 

I'm confident that nobody will get 1-12 exactly correct that's my banker prediction.

My next most confident prediction is Leigh 12th unless there is some seriously good recruitment before the season starts.

After that it's more difficult, I'd go for Wigan to win Super League whether they do or do not win the hub cap. I think Saints were slightly less impressive in 2020 and the trend will continue. Huddersfield and Hull KR will be the best improvers.

Hull fans are getting excited - a sure sign of inevitable disappointment to follow. Salford still look pretty good on paper but we'll find out how much they depended on Ian Watson.

I'll also predict that the new TV deal will come with a restructure that ends automatic P&R. I wouldn't bet my modest savings on that though.

The biggest issue could be if the start of the season is delayed beyond a couple of weeks, since then we could see a fixture pile up at the end of the season as the league rushes to complete the fixture schedule before the start of the World Cup. That will put a strain on squad sizes, which will be less of a problem if you are one of the big boys, but could be very problematic for those teams running with small squads, in which case they will even more than ever need a huge amount of luck with injuries.

12 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

I'm confident that nobody will get 1-12 exactly correct that's my banker prediction.

My next most confident prediction is Leigh 12th unless there is some seriously good recruitment before the season starts.

After that it's more difficult, I'd go for Wigan to win Super League whether they do or do not win the hub cap. I think Saints were slightly less impressive in 2020 and the trend will continue. Huddersfield and Hull KR will be the best improvers.

Hull fans are getting excited - a sure sign of inevitable disappointment to follow. Salford still look pretty good on paper but we'll find out how much they depended on Ian Watson.

I'll also predict that the new TV deal will come with a restructure that ends automatic P&R. I wouldn't bet my modest savings on that though.

Surely someone will get 1-12 right.

Agree Leigh are definitely favourites for the drop but it’s far from certain if they string together a few lucky wins.

I don’t see Salford looking strong on paper at all, I can only see them finishing in the bottom 3 with Leigh and Hull kr.

I think Huddersfield and Hull look to have made some of the best signings and rightly their fans are excited, but they won’t have enough to get into the top 4 and will finish mid table.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Surely someone will get 1-12 right.

Agree Leigh are definitely favourites for the drop but it’s far from certain if they string together a few lucky wins.

I don’t see Salford looking strong on paper at all, I can only see them finishing in the bottom 3 with Leigh and Hull kr.

I think Huddersfield and Hull look to have made some of the best signings and rightly their fans are excited, but they won’t have enough to get into the top 4 and will finish mid table.

Interestingly you say Salford Bottom 3 with Leigh and Hull KR yet you dont see Wakey in the bottom 3? given their limited recruitment in the off season and their current record is around 3 from 36 games?

Salford recruited very well IMO and replaced who they have lost with replacements and improved the depth of the squad overall.

Evalds - Escare

Dudson - Lussick

Yates - Addy / Wells

Lussick - Ackers was brought in mid season as a replacement 

McCarthy - Livett

Flanagan - Taylor 

on top of this they have brought in Burgess, Costello, Wells, Luckley & Patton.

Coaching wise

Watson - Marshall and Orr

You also say Hull have made some of the best signings yet they have signed Reynolds and the Fijian winger yet lost Ellis, Kelly and Naulago? 

38 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Interestingly you say Salford Bottom 3 with Leigh and Hull KR yet you dont see Wakey in the bottom 3? given their limited recruitment in the off season and their current record is around 3 from 36 games?

Salford recruited very well IMO and replaced who they have lost with replacements and improved the depth of the squad overall.

Evalds - Escare

Dudson - Lussick

Yates - Addy / Wells

McCarthy - Livett

Flanagan - Taylor 

Coaching wise

You also say Hull have made some of the best signings yet they have signed Reynolds and the Fijian winger yet lost Ellis, Kelly and Naulago? 

Fijian winger (unsure of his name but if that’s it, commentary will be interesting) is a trialist and had been training a few days.  Ellis retired and didn’t figure much last season, Albert suffered injury and didn’t play much, Naulogo missed a fair few games with injury and a ban.  None really impacted as well as they would’ve liked through 2020.

22 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Fijian winger (unsure of his name but if that’s it, commentary will be interesting) is a trialist and had been training a few days.  Ellis retired and didn’t figure much last season, Albert suffered injury and didn’t play much, Naulogo missed a fair few games with injury and a ban.  None really impacted as well as they would’ve liked through 2020.

I was just highlighting despite teh previous poster being impressed with the quality of the Hull signings there asin fact only been 1

Main problems this year maybe travel to or from France for Catalans & Toulouse games.

There are a lot of public school ex-union players who may block travel for Rugby League games, but allowing travel for Union games. Watch this space.

Transport Minister "Don't book holidays yet"

Health Minister "I'm off to Cornwall, for a great British summer".

On 10/02/2021 at 13:49, sweaty craiq said:

Salfords issue is historical debt and lack of benefactor - similar to Wakefield, Carters eagerness to take the Schilling says things will be very tough and I believe Salford were the same

I see you have not done your homework again. A bit more research may inform you that Wakefield are OK this season, yes it will be hard without crowds but it will be the same for all clubs.

6 hours ago, To Be Confirmed said:

Evalds - Escare

Dudson - Lussick

Yates - Addy / Wells

McCarthy - Livett

Flanagan - Taylor 

Coaching wise

Escare, Askers, Addy and Livett are all downgrades on the players they have replaced in Evalds, Lussick, Yates and McCarthy.

I don’t agree they have depth, I think outside their starting 17 the quality of player at Salford drops very quickly.

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Please define "lucky wins", I am at a loss with that one.

You are right luck dose not decide ant teams fate, but Leighs best chance of victories are weighted to the first part of the season with a fully fit squad, as the season goes injuries will play a part especially with teams with limited squad depth, also Leighs crowd would have been a positive factor especially at home but that is only a possibility later in the year. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s self explanatory. The Leigh Wolfpack have the weakest team on paper, they will need some luck to be on their side if they are to pick up enough wins to stay up.

So the assumption must be if one team is 'lucky', the other has to be 'unlucky'? 

Look I know that the assembled squad at Leigh is as you say 'on paper' the weakest team in the division and in my opinion for them to attain any wins it will take a great effort from all concerned, preperation, game plans and strategies will have to be exact and delivered with the team as one as they do not possess any single match winners so to get any wins at all they will have all have to be at the top of their game.

If they do manage to get any wins it will be like Gary Player said, 'The harder I practise the luckier I get'

19 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Escare, Askers, Addy and Livett are all downgrades on the players they have replaced in Evalds, Lussick, Yates and McCarthy.

I don’t agree they have depth, I think outside their starting 17 the quality of player at Salford drops very quickly.

Livett I see as an upgrade to McCarthy who gave his all to the club and will be grateful, if tyke was as good as you say he was would he have been without a club for so long? 

see your not capable of reading....

I said they have improved the depth of squad i.e. from last season, each player is capable of playing first team, I guess we will see where Salford will end up but I believe they will finish well out of the Relegation battle, that will be between Leigh Wakey and Hull KR IMO.

Never know even Leeds may slip down into the bottom 4 which they have been in relatively recently. 

On 11/02/2021 at 10:16, Lowdesert said:

Not convinced by hulls signings although Hodgson is a move in the right direction 

The problem for Hull is the loyalty to Danny Houghton, a player who is a solid performer, but not the dynamism of some other number 9,s.

Then Sneyd and Shaul can be great or equally they can vanish 

My predictions are 

1 saints 

2 Wigan 

3 Huddersfield 

4 leeds

5 Salford 

6 Hull kr 

7 Warrington 

8 catalan 

9 castleford 

10 hull

11 leigh

12 Wakefield 

36 minutes ago, The storm said:

Not convinced by hulls signings although Hodgson is a move in the right direction 

The problem for Hull is the loyalty to Danny Houghton, a player who is a solid performer, but not the dynamism of some other number 9,s.

Then Sneyd and Shaul can be great or equally they can vanish 

My predictions are 

1 saints 

2 Wigan 

3 Huddersfield 

4 leeds

5 Salford 

6 Hull kr 

7 Warrington 

8 catalan 

9 castleford 

10 hull

11 leigh

12 Wakefield 

I mean we've only actually made one signing, so for that reason it's hard to argue that we are not weaker than last season. Certainly in terms of depth we are weaker. But the squad was never the problem imo and I'm impressed with Hodgson. I don't think he is going to perform miricles and take us to the GF in year one, but I'm expecting a big improvement in our play, particularly in our shape and discipline in defence. 

Archived