Elstone gone (Merged threads)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fancy letting the public know.

No complaints about the news leaking out or breaches of confidentiality. 

If only clubs like Toronto and London Broncos could keep their followers in the loop. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I think Elstone's appointment was a classic case of not understanding the problem the game was trying to solve. 

He had his hands tied behind his back by the clubs, but I don't think that Super League needed a CEO. I think it needed a CMO. It needed to find someone who knew how to get this sport seen by more people and knew how to add value, not someone who was brought in to "try and negotiate a bit harder". 

• John Drake changed the title to Elstone gone (Merged threads)

I was full of hope and optimism when he started. I genuinely believed he was going to change things and despite a few improvements, such as the new programmes we saw at the start of the season, he has added little and has been a major disappointment. On things like expanding Super League's footprint and appeal he has been a disaster and the way he handled the likes of Toronto and Toulouse was very poor. Ultimately what we ended up with was little more than we were getting before and that just cannot justify his huge salary.

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s been a few small, cosmetic changes to the sport under Elstone that have been a positive but there’s not been anywhere near the impact wanted or required for the game. He’s been a disaster on the whole and should go. Thankfully, he is. 

Half of which were apparently requested by Sky!

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Expdct we will just wrap back up with the RFL and McManus, Lenegan and Moran will pretend they never started this. 

Bit unfair that given McManus said this back in April last year, hardly trying to pretend it never happened...

“However, if I’ve got it wrong, I’ve got it wrong. I’m not going to shy away from that.”

There are plenty on here who agreed with the intent behind it, and to a degree I still do in terms of some of the commercial aspects being seperate from the RFL. But the execution has been relatively poor.

Not sure he knew what he was letting himself in for, maybe thought he could change the club's mindset of "I'm alright jack and sod everyone else" the game will continue to die unless the leader of our game is aloud to lead!! The game is being held back by the weakest clubs when it should be driven by the strongest.

I too had high hopes when Robert Elstone was appointed, and i'd be reluctant to say he hasn't delivered, as i genuinely feel he probably never had the chance to make a real difference due to the nature of club control. Some small progress was made, but ultimately not the kind of change we need.

Handing in his notice suggests he's not happy with something thats happened quite recently.

One thing is for sure. No one worth their salt will want to take on this role, should it continue to exist.

Oh well. Now he's gone, Ralph's back in the firing line.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I too had high hopes when Robert Elstone was appointed, and i'd be reluctant to say he hasn't delivered, as i genuinely feel he probably never had the chance to make a real difference due to the nature of club control. Some small progress was made, but ultimately not the kind of change we need.

Handing in his notice suggests he's not happy with something thats happened quite recently.

Oh well. Now he's gone, Ralph's back in the firing line.

I wonder if we can get TWP back in SL now he’s gone, I always felt Elstone was the person most against it. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wonder if we can get TWP back in SL now he’s gone, I always felt Elstone was the person most against it. 

No expansion will ever take place while the game is governed in the current format, some clubs struggle to pay the gas bill nevermind share distribution money for the good of the sport.

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Was he or was he just voting with the majority so the majority dont vote him out of position with a no confidence vote?

The position is a poisoned challace 

I’m a little bit disappointed in his timing. We’re six weeks out from the season starting, we don’t know how many games we’re going to be playing, we’ve got a major tournament at the end of the year on home soil and we’re heading into negotiating a new TV deal, which will shape the future of the game.

I wasn’t confident that he’d manage the above particularly well but it still a pretty low blow. 

Bloody Hell, 0.4 million on wages (how many years has he been at it?) + 0.75 million for the money men for ''introducing'' the PE vultures + how much was the ''report'' which trashed Toronto? That's a lot of millions. So that's the expenditure side sorted, whats on the income side? ......? .......? ........ nowt? really? 

Archived