Elstone gone (Merged threads)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Not sure he knew what he was letting himself in for, maybe thought he could change the club's mindset of "I'm alright jack and sod everyone else" the game will continue to die unless the leader of our game is aloud to lead!! The game is being held back by the weakest clubs when it should be driven by the strongest.

For me the clubs should get voting shares based on league position.

This would ensure that the better clubs led the way a bit more.

For example top of SL get 12 votes bottom get 1 etc..

If its a whole proffessional game vote bottom of league 1 gets 1 vote and ascend from there.

1 minute ago, snoopdog said:

Problem is he's 100% correct 

He relied on the weakest clubs to push that through, had 2 of the leading clubs vote for no confidence in him, then has found his PE deal in tatters because the top clubs have gone against him on it. 

£400k a year? Ha!

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m a little bit disappointed in his timing. We’re six weeks out from the season starting, we don’t know how many games we’re going to be playing, we’ve got a major tournament at the end of the year on home soil and we’re heading into negotiating a new TV deal, which will shape the future of the game.

I wasn’t confident that he’d manage the above particularly well but it still a pretty low blow. 

Agree with that. You'd hope that he stays in position - or there's an Interim CEO appointed to coordinate - at least until the 2021 season is either completed or on firm ground.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

He relied on the weakest clubs to push that through, had 2 of the leading clubs vote for no confidence in him, then has found his PE deal in tatters because the top clubs have gone against him on it. 

£400k a year? Ha!

Effectively, two did vote no confidence in him. Warrington abstained and Saints went yes for Toronto, with rumours circulating that they did with pushing for a vote of no confidence. 

I think SL needs to start a bit of self evaluation in the mirror and take  a  decision making course at the local College.

This event reveals what SL is about not what Elstone did or didn't do.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

No doubt people will see this as good news (and it's hard to argue against that) but unfortunately it just provides more uncertainty. We don't seem to have a TV deal agreed yet so who takes over the negotiations?

The expense for Elstone's role was hard to justify in the current climate, but at the time it was created change was necessary to progress the game and that wasn't coming from the RFL. If SL and the RFL reunite the game will need strong leadership and we've already seen how that is seriously lacking within the current RFL administration.

I can't see much support among SL clubs to appoint another big money chairman but I also doubt they will want to relinquish the power they currently have.

One can hope for a positive outcome but this is rugby league. When the game isn't swimming in circles it's treading water.

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Hasn't impressed me, but I'm not sure who could do a good job in the role as it is. 

Expdct we will just wrap back up with the RFL and McManus, Lenegan and Moran will pretend they never started this. 

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was full of hope and optimism when he started. I genuinely believed he was going to change things and despite a few improvements, such as the new programmes we saw at the start of the season, he has added little and has been a major disappointment. On things like expanding Super League's footprint and appeal he has been a disaster and the way he handled the likes of Toronto and Toulouse was very poor. Ultimately what we ended up with was little more than we were getting before and that just cannot justify his huge salary.

27 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Not sure he knew what he was letting himself in for, maybe thought he could change the club's mindset of "I'm alright jack and sod everyone else" the game will continue to die unless the leader of our game is aloud to lead!! The game is being held back by the weakest clubs when it should be driven by the strongest.

16 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Bloody Hell, 0.4 million on wages (how many years has he been at it?) + 0.75 million for the money men for ''introducing'' the PE vultures + how much was the ''report'' which trashed Toronto? That's a lot of millions. So that's the expenditure side sorted, whats on the income side? ......? .......? ........ nowt? really? 

Did he do anything that can justify the wages he was on?

The game is run like a pigeon fanciers racing club,it's an embarrassment!! every member only interested in their own clubs interest.

Until the game is run for the whole benefit of the sport it will continue to go from one cock up to another.

3 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

No doubt people will see this as good news (and it's hard to argue against that) but unfortunately it just provides more uncertainty. We don't seem to have a TV deal agreed yet so who takes over the negotiations?

The expense for Elstone's role was hard to justify in the current climate, but at the time it was created change was necessary to progress the game and that wasn't coming from the RFL. If SL and the RFL reunite the game will need strong leadership and we've already seen how that is seriously lacking within the current RFL administration.

I can't see much support among SL clubs to appoint another big money chairman but I also doubt they will want to relinquish the power they currently have.

One can hope for a positive outcome but this is rugby league. When the game isn't swimming in circles it's treading water.

The idea of Super League splitting was right but the execution and choice of leader was poor. SL needed a leader with vision and a strategy but instead they got more of the same and little different than was provided by the RFL. Even most of the new initiatives, consisting of revamps like new badges and monikers, were simply flashbacks to the start of Super League. There wasn't anything original in any of it.

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Gary Hetherington will be sitting smug now

What ever people think of him and Leeds are not my club he's very seldom wrong on these type of matters.

He knows how to run a club and make it successful and make a profit.

Just now, lucky 7 said:

What ever people think of him and Leeds are not my club he's very seldom wrong on these type of matters.

He knows how to run a club and make it successful and make a profit.

Unfortunately being able to run a club and being able to run a league aren't even close to being the same thing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Did he do anything that can justify the wages he was on?

You could put it another way and say do some clubs in the SL justify their 1.8million a year , champ 600k a year and league 1 their 75k a year?? The games being held back by mediocrity and I believe Elstone picked the wrong horse .

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Unfortunately being able to run a club and being able to run a league aren't even close to being the same thing.

Possibly, but I'm sure if Gary Heatherington was 10 years younger he would have made Super League a success

Archived