Elstone gone (Merged threads)

Makes me laugh the pretend experts on here, who are probably Taxi drivers in real life, yet seem to think they understand the complexities of running RL/SL. 

All that matters are the clubs, it's not a case of I'm alright Jack, it's the case that without them the game has no revenue at all. If those 12 clubs fail then the game dies, so I'm more than happy that they put themselves first and carry on ignoring the fantasists on here and in the media.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Possibly, but I'm sure if Gary Heatherington was 10 years younger he would have made Super League a success

Until the situation where the CEO is hostage to the clubs is changed then no one will be able to make it a success.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Makes me laugh the pretend experts on here, who are probably Taxi drivers in real life, yet seem to think they understand the complexities of running RL/SL. 

All that matters are the clubs, it's not a case of I'm alright Jack, it's the case that without them the game has no revenue at all. If those 12 clubs fail then the game dies, so I'm more than happy that they put themselves first and carry on ignoring the fantasists on here and in the media.

Talk about missing the point 

5 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

You could put it another way and say do some clubs in the SL justify their 1.8million a year , champ 600k a year and league 1 their 75k a year?? The games being held back by mediocrity and I believe Elstone picked the wrong horse .

Where do we start.

Some grounds wouldn't even qualify for the the 6th tier of the soccer pyramid.

Junior development at certain clubs is non existent

Match day awareness at some clubs is non existent. They just hope that the regulars just turn up with no real plan to attract new fans to thegame

38 minutes ago, M j M said:

Time for Hetherington to step in as a benign dictator.

Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. 

I think he has been planning his "exit strategy" from Leeds for the last couple of years anyway, given the appointment of Sinfield as DoR and Rob Oates seems to be coming into the limelight a bit more recently, so it wouldn't suprise me if he were to step down at Headingley and into Super League Europe for a transition period. 

One thing is for sure, he seems to have a much better handle on what the problems in the game actually are. 

44 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Not sure he knew what he was letting himself in for, maybe thought he could change the club's mindset of "I'm alright jack and sod everyone else" the game will continue to die unless the leader of our game is aloud to lead!! The game is being held back by the weakest clubs when it should be driven by the strongest.

Pray tell snoopdog how many strong clubs do we have, and what is the measure of their strength? Take the Salary Cap and the share out of the Funding in SL it is done precisely to formulate a league structure, at least 7 of the incumbant SL clubs could not perform at that level but for the allocated monies, now if you don't desire a 5 team competition how would those 'strongest' clubs govern any differently than the present format? Just asking. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Hopefully we can get another failed football person in on £400k a year to sort the game out. 

Rimmer?

Better still let the tail wag the dog.  But if the clubs don't drink the water, why take them to the bucket?

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wonder if we can get TWP back in SL now he’s gone, I always felt Elstone was the person most against it. 

So you honestly believe he influenced the one club one vote procedure and persuaded some clubs to vote against Toronto do you, if that is the case we really are in big trouble.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you honestly believe he influenced the one club one vote procedure and persuaded some clubs to vote against Toronto do you, if that is the case we really are in big trouble.

Elstone's position on Toronto was clear but that totally independent report he commissioned gave him and the more backward clubs a fig leaf to hide behind.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Pray tell snoopdog how many strong clubs do we have, and what is the measure of their strength? Take the Salary Cap and the share out of the Funding in SL it is done precisely to formulate a league structure, at least 7 of the incumbant SL clubs could not perform at that level but for the allocated monies, now if you don't desire a 5 team competition how would those 'strongest' clubs govern any differently than the present format? Just asking. 

That's my point the game shouldn't be run by the strongest or the weakest clubs, but the game can't progress because the weakest is the majority. The game should be governed by an independent body or individual over a period of time with powers to make change , and like any democratic society if they don't bring success etc they are replaced.

As this news has been leaked out - at the tendered resignation,still to be discussed stage - we should await faux outrage from the Super League club owners.

Anyone know how long the contract, for Elstone, has left? Has Elstone or Lenagan involved themselves in succession planning and do they have a replacement lined -up?

Do the regulations require Elstone to work for a certain period of time until he can leave?

If Lenagan fixed the appointment solely for the broadcast deal - who will now steer it through?

This is a real professional sport.The leadership from the front is outstanding...

Super League is so inspirational!

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

53 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Effectively, two did vote no confidence in him. Warrington abstained and Saints went yes for Toronto, with rumours circulating that they did with pushing for a vote of no confidence. 

I cannot really believe that anybody wanted to keep a bankrupt Toronto in the competition. What kind of mindset works that out?

58 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m a little bit disappointed in his timing. We’re six weeks out from the season starting, we don’t know how many games we’re going to be playing, we’ve got a major tournament at the end of the year on home soil and we’re heading into negotiating a new TV deal, which will shape the future of the game.

I wasn’t confident that he’d manage the above particularly well but it still a pretty low blow. 

Was he a actually allowed to manage anything?

Perhaps a payoff will include a non-disclosure clause to keep him from opening up why he has turned his back on a well payed position, I would love to know the reason for his resignation.

1 hour ago, Moove said:

Bit unfair that given McManus said this back in April last year, hardly trying to pretend it never happened...

“However, if I’ve got it wrong, I’ve got it wrong. I’m not going to shy away from that.”

There are plenty on here who agreed with the intent behind it, and to a degree I still do in terms of some of the commercial aspects being seperate from the RFL. But the execution has been relatively poor.

Other than a bit of a red face though there are no repercussions, it was generally risk free for these owners who could be accused of causing great damage and cost to the sport. 

I have long championed SLE taking charge of their own affairs, mainly so they could stop using the RFL as a scapegoat. I didn't expect it to go this badly, but they will now just use Elstone as a scapegoat. 

8 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

That's my point the game shouldn't be run by the strongest or the weakest clubs, but the game can't progress because the weakest is the majority. The game should be governed by an independent body or individual over a period of time with powers to make change , and like any democratic society if they don't bring success etc they are replaced.

Work through the logic - the weakest are not the majority. Some of those clubs who people dismiss as the weakest are the strongest we have. 

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

For me the clubs should get voting shares based on league position.

This would ensure that the better clubs led the way a bit more.

For example top of SL get 12 votes bottom get 1 etc..

If its a whole proffessional game vote bottom of league 1 gets 1 vote and ascend from there.

Good idea, perhaps that is what should happen at the General Elections those who pay more tax should have a bigger say how the money is spent, and those who don't contribute anything shouldn't recieve a vote at all or perhaps just a token vote.

Okay, say we get a real hotshot as a replacement, brimming with fantastic, innovative ideas. Then the club chairmen take one look at his vision and say "No, we don't want that; just make sure we play as many fixtures as possible per year, to bump up the gate revenues*".

Who's going to stay in a job like that? If you don't have the power to implement changes that may be unpopular in the short term, but pay off in the long term, you're mostly impotent.

*once the current pandemic restrictions are lifted, of course.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He would have to endorse whoever had been chosen by the independent panel, other than that he should have made the decision himself who to promote.

What's independent about 3 employees from Super League and 3 from the RFL?

Archived