Elstone gone (Merged threads)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

The game is run like a pigeon fanciers racing club,it's an embarrassment!! every member only interested in their own clubs interest.

Until the game is run for the whole benefit of the sport it will continue to go from one cock up to another.

If a decision is made by SL to withdraw any funding below SL, I believe your answer will be a negative to your proposal.

54 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This is really bad news. Who are we going to rubbish instead?

But you make a serious point.  Clearly superleague does not want to be governable. The rest of the game want something for nothing.  Where will any investment come from from an organisation that does not want to be governed?

Let's hope none of this happens and with one bound we are free... SL has 28 to 30 million for a 1 year SKY deal next year.  It's a breathing space.  But I expect the same old same old. 

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good idea, perhaps that is what should happen at the General Elections those who pay more tax should have a bigger say how the money is spent, and those who don't contribute anything shouldn't recieve a vote at all or perhaps just a token vote.

no representation without taxation or summat

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

But you make a serious point.  Clearly superleague does not want to be governable. The rest of the game want something for nothing.  Where will any investment come from from an organisation that does not want to be governed?

Let's hope none of this happens and with one bound we are free... SL has 28 to 30 million for a 1 year SKY deal next year.  It's a breathing space.  But I expect the same old same old. 

Let's hope none of what happens? And with one bound, we're free of what? What's a breathing space? Have you forgotten to take your medication? Can you at least explain what you are raving on about? 

35 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

That's my point the game shouldn't be run by the strongest or the weakest clubs, but the game can't progress because the weakest is the majority. The game should be governed by an independent body or individual over a period of time with powers to make change , and like any democratic society if they don't bring success etc they are replaced.

OK, I read your post as I replied to differently, but do believe that 'some' of the incumbant SL chairs could/would let an individual or independent body have total and complete autonomy?

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, say we get a real hotshot as a replacement, brimming with fantastic, innovative ideas. Then the club chairmen take one look at his vision and say "No, we don't want that; just make sure we play as many fixtures as possible per year, to bump up the gate revenues*".

Who's going to stay in a job like that? If you don't have the power to implement changes that may be unpopular in the short term, but pay off in the long term, you're mostly impotent.

*once the current pandemic restrictions are lifted, of course.

Exactly this.

The only reason to take the job right now would be to bolster your CV prior to getting a job where you can do something.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Covid did for him, really. He was doing OK until then but the past year has seen his stock drop lower than a company that sells package holidays to Wuhan. 

Yeah the rebrand looks good and we’ve had some good attendances but the Toronto report and everything that went with it was embarrassing. 

All in all the clubs will never agree and it’s an unforgivable job. Just a glorified spokesman for the 12 turkeys voting against Christmas. 

SL needs an independent board to make decisions 

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Makes me laugh the pretend experts on here, who are probably Taxi drivers in real life, yet seem to think they understand the complexities of running RL/SL. 

All that matters are the clubs, it's not a case of I'm alright Jack, it's the case that without them the game has no revenue at all. If those 12 clubs fail then the game dies, so I'm more than happy that they put themselves first and carry on ignoring the fantasists on here and in the media.

Things not going well with the new stand Michael ???

30 minutes ago, Mark S said:

The role should go to someone who has not had a connection to a club at any time. Ideally, a savvy business person with marketing ideas and very good connections.

Do not let Hetherington near this, he’s yesterday’s man.

I've heard Donald Trump is at a loose end and looking for a new (bigger) challenge.

Make All Rugby Great Again (Regeneration In New Environments) 

MARGARINE hats now available - perfect for summer rugby.

53 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good idea, perhaps that is what should happen at the General Elections those who pay more tax should have a bigger say how the money is spent, and those who don't contribute anything shouldn't recieve a vote at all or perhaps just a token vote.

Oooh 'Arry, now you've done it!

By the way, what's the password?

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Exactly this.

The only reason to take the job right now would be to bolster your CV prior to getting a job where you can do something.

Whoever takes over, if the job description remains the same, is just manning a desk to no real effect.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Whatever his name was will be greatly missed, but nowhere as much as the money he's pocketed and the Private Equity finders fee the game has paid out.

I lied about being greatly missed.

No surprise, his position really became untenable in recent weeks -

• Failure to stipulate 'introductory fee' was only payable upon SLE either entering exclusive talks with a PE provider or execution of agreement. That was a costly and unforgiveable mistake, even more so considering he knew there was opposition to PE within SLE stakeholders. He was ultimately accountable, particularly as he was so heavily in favour of PE
  • The continual leaks to the press, undermining his position

Now is the time to undertake root and branch structural reform amongst the stakeholders at the top of the game to create governance that is fit for purpose, and not at the whim of turkeys. Alternatively, it could open the door to NRL..........

Archived