Elstone gone (Merged threads)

2 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Ask the British public to name thd 2013 world cup squads , next to nobody in the Uk knows nothing about those England players; it might of been succesful to the RL public but thats as far as it went.

Actually they'd probably say the same as if you asked them the 2015 RU world cup squads - Sam Burgess and Sonny Bill Williams. Arguably you'd get a fair few saying Kevin Sinfield too.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Actually they'd probably say the same as if you asked them the 2015 RU world cup squads - Sam Burgess and Sonny Bill Williams. Arguably you'd get a fair few saying Kevin Sinfield too.

Beat you to it! But the point as well is that this is a process, that was a very good tournament, but it can be even better next time - we got figures of a couple of million in 2013, seeing more and more big games on BBC should continue to grow it and over time more and more players get known. 

Expectations need to have some realism. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Do the same with most team sport tournaments from 8 years ago and you'll find the same. 

We shouldn't be setting unrealistic benchmarks so we can claim failure. 

But I would say in that tournament we did have Sam Tomkins, Sam Burgess and Kevin Sinfield who have profile that is greater than RL circles, and SBW played for the Kiwis. 

I'd feel quite safe betting that 90% of the country couldn't name more than five members of the England Six Nations squad.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I'd feel quite safe betting that 90% of the country couldn't name more than five members of the England Six Nations squad.

I’d extend that to the England Football squad of the last few years. I think the foreign players in the premiership have better profiles at the moment 

4 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

I can't imagine he would get a stint at a premier league club as Everton were glad to see the back of him.

He certainly fooled Lenagan and many others, but not the really smart one's like Eamonn McManus and Gary heatherington

I was thinking Wigan Athletic,actually.

They are - well the administrator is - waiting for a new owner to take over.

League 1...?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

57 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Ask the British public to name thd 2013 world cup squads , next to nobody in the Uk knows nothing about those England players; it might of been succesful to the RL public but thats as far as it went.

Err, I guess so. Which is relevant how? 

It was our greatest tournament, by every measure. 

Unless you are making the point that ours is a minority game, in which case I would whole heartedly agree with you. 

4 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Lets not forget that Elstone is such a visionary he endorsed a team into super league from a Wigan suburb

A panel determined that. And was based on several plausible teams. It's bad news for you that your favourite was not chosen. 

20 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Err, I guess so. Which is relevant how? 

It was our greatest tournament, by every measure. 

Unless you are making the point that ours is a minority game, in which case I would whole heartedly agree with you. 

Very few stars cut though, even in RU.  Jason Robinson,  Hanley for us in RL

I bet unfortunately that most observers don't know Andy Farrell used to play RL.  Edwards might.

1 hour ago, iangidds said:

I think I'm right in saying that this was one of the things that Eddie Hearn suggested when there was talk about him getting involved in Rugby League to give high profile profiles to certain players to make the public more aware of them and the game

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah the Sun reported the 12 month thing too, who knows whether he will stay for that long. Ironically I think if he does stay for that time it will be limited to a role as a "marketing man"! FWIW I think between PE, a difficult TV deal and the largest club in the game headed by a figure respected throughout being consistently opposed to him may have driven this decision. I don't disagree with the view that he was in a difficult position from day one. However I would agree with Matthew Shaw's assessment that he was dealt a poor hand and then played it terribly.

Its perhaps telling that he was not the person commenting on the fixtures being released today.

If it had been him commenting then the release of the fixtures would have been “lost” in the questions to Elstone about his resignation 

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

If it had been him commenting then the release of the fixtures would have been “lost” in the questions to Elstone about his resignation 

As I pointed out earlier, his statement didn't say he was going to resign, but to give his notice, which is quite a different thing, although you are probably right that a statement bearing his name would probably have been lost in speculation about him.

4 hours ago, iangidds said:

People just don’t know sports stars like they did in the past though. Take the 84, 88 and 92 Olympics era, all the GB athletes were household names and I could still name shed loads of them, yet I couldn’t think of more than two or three who’ve represented GB at track or field in the last 10 years. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

People just don’t know sports stars like they did in the past though. Take the 84, 88 and 92 Olympics era, all the GB athletes were household names and I could still name shed loads of them, yet I couldn’t think of more than two or three who’ve represented GB at track or field in the last 10 years. 

That's a good point.

Despite never being a football fan, I could name every player in Leeds United's 1960s side managed by Don Revie and I could name many other football players and their clubs from that era.

I couldn't name a single Leeds player today, nor even an England player, other than Marcus Rashford, who I'm aware of for non-football reasons.

Is it that we are more open minded when we are younger, and our interests narrow as we grow older?

Although I'm not quite sure what this has to do with Robert Elstone.

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I think I'm right in saying that this was one of the things that Eddie Hearn suggested when there was talk about him getting involved in Rugby League to give high profile profiles to certain players to make the public more aware of them and the game

Like the darts players , like Eric Bristow, John Lowe and Jocky Wilson 

20 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

A vast majority of the public in the 1980's could have named at least one of them. How many people today could name a current player in Super League?

You've missed my point , I couldn't name a current darts player , despite all the publicity generated by 

Mr Hearn 

35 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Quick question: is he still in post?

Another quick question: if he is still in post, when does he vacate it.

He is still in post as far as anyone is aware as he has only announced his intention to leave.

I think Martyn mentioned a 12 month notice period?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

47 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

He is still in post as far as anyone is aware as he has only announced his intention to leave.

I think Martyn mentioned a 12 month notice period?

That's how I read it, too. Some people seem to be celebrating his departure, even though he has not departed.  

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's how I read it, too. Some people seem to be celebrating his departure, even though he has not departed.  

Now if Elstone has any brains he will put himself out to bring more money into the game and justify his wages which will make his CV look better why he runs down the clock down before he leaves. Of course he might not be capable of it and time will tell.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

He is like a bad migraine; he never really leaves and keeps hanging around like a lovesick ex girlfriend.

Dump this guy and give him a kick in the ###### as he leaves the door ajar....like a ball and chain around a swimmer he is.

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Now if Elstone has any brains he will put himself out to bring more money into the game and justify his wages which will make his CV look better why he runs down the clock down before he leaves. Of course he might not be capable of it and time will tell.

Part of the problem is that we do not actually know what he has done and is doing. Just because we don't know that does not mean he is doing nothing. Fan engagement seems to be missing.

Archived