More positive news from Nottinghamshire

On 21/12/2021 at 22:42, Hopping Mad said:

Rugby union (rugby generally, I'm afraid) is an irrelevance in Liverpool. In the Liverpool area, there's only Waterloo of any stature. And, of course, they don't play in Liverpool. The handful of Wirral clubs, none of them in the upper levels, aren't Liverpool either. Liverpool Collegiate (Aigburth) and West Derby-based Sefton (where Liverpool Buccaneers ARLFC used to play) are tiny operations.

The best players in the area will play semi pro union though so a RL club couldn't exist in the lower league unless importing players from St helens widnes etc and then the fans wouldn't get behind them..

On 21/12/2021 at 07:12, Eddie said:

If someone was insane enough to throw millions at a RL club in Liverpool, the Union clubs in Liverpool would be far too weak to do anything about it. It would be the general apathy of the local population that would stop it working, not Union. 

Its the lack of knowledge that the game exsists more than anything, Wayne Rooney is a fan as too was Tony bellew who was enjoying one of the last saints games, its the getting them to watch a game and having a scouse team to get behind.

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

Its the lack of knowledge that the game exsists more than anything, Wayne Rooney is a fan as too was Tony bellew who was enjoying one of the last saints games, its the getting them to watch a game and having a scouse team to get behind.

Tony Bellew has been to one RL game in his life. Is Rooney actually a fan? 

14 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Only one name for that part of the world - The Ducks. 

Exactly , I've done quite a bit of work in the area , always reckoned a development ( semi pro ) club would have been a possibility in the area , they look more to the north than the south in their outlook 

Get served in a shop and it's " bye mi duck " 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Tony Bellew has been to one RL game in his life. Is Rooney actually a fan? 

Bellew is a rugby fan but kids play union due to no RL in the area.

Rooney is a big fan as is Ryan Giggs, apparently quite a few of the old utd squad watched Friday night games in the team hotel the night before their games...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Bellew is a rugby fan but kids play union due to no RL in the area.

Rooney is a big fan as is Ryan Giggs, apparently quite a few of the old utd squad watched Friday night games in the team hotel the night before their games...

There is RL in the area, St Helens and Widnes are no distance at all, and rugby there is a much better standard than Union in Liverpool.  
Also watching the odd game while stuck in a hotel with nowt to do doesn’t mean Rooney and Giggs are big fans. If Giggs was a big fan he might be trying to work with Salford on their ground situation with the Salford football club. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There is RL in the area, St Helens and Widnes are no distance at all, and rugby there is a much better standard than Union in Liverpool.  
Also watching the odd game while stuck in a hotel with nowt to do doesn’t mean Rooney and Giggs are big fans. If Giggs was a big fan he might be trying to work with Salford on their ground situation with the Salford football club. 

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think Giggs has bigger issues to deal with... but as the seasons overlap its understandable that they had a job to do so are armchair fans

St Helens and Widnes are not Liverpool, if you lived in the area you would understand.

Edited by yipyee

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

I think Giggs has bigger issues to deal with... but as the seasons overlap its understandable that they had a job to do so are armchair fans

St Helens and Widnes are not Liverpool, if you lived in the area you would understand.

I’m from Liverpool mate, I understand it very well. Both places are near Bellew, like I said. 

22 hours ago, Eddie said:

Ryan Giggs dad, Danny Wilson, played for Swinton in the 80's Giggs played for Salford Jnrs youth teams until he signed youth with M.U.

On 21/12/2021 at 22:42, Hopping Mad said:

In the Liverpool area, there's only Waterloo of any stature. And, of course, they don't play in Liverpool. The handful of Wirral clubs, none of them in the upper levels, aren't Liverpool either. Liverpool Collegiate (Aigburth) and West Derby-based Sefton (where Liverpool Buccaneers ARLFC used to play) are tiny operations.

Caldy RUFC (Level 3 - National League 1 currently in 4th place) and Wirral RUFC (Level 5 - North Premier) are both semi-professional and operate at a higher level than Waterloo who are currently Level 6 - North 1 West, so they tend to pick up the best local RU talent from either side of the Mersey at the moment.  The demand seems to be well served with the clubs in existence at the moment and I think it would be tough for Rugby League to try and grow in this small market.

Back on topic, it's good to see RL clubs developing facilities as this is one area that the Union clubs have an advantage.

• Thanks 1

On 23/12/2021 at 17:15, sweaty craiq said:

Only one name for that part of the world - The Ducks. 

Moved from Liverpool to live in Eccelshall near to Stone for a few years and must admit it was a surprise when I first moved to be referred/greeted in a warming/friendly.... Duck...

Having said that I miss the buying fresh Oat Cakes on a Friday over in Hanley/potteries towns - every one had their favourite little back garage they brought from.

So maybe... The Oat Cakes... might be an alternative name to consider.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...