Varela learning every day as 1st Team Squads youngest player

Broncos News

London Broncos Jonah Varela is enjoying every moment of Pre-Season so far following his step up to the First Team squad from the clubs Academy, including the extra sessions and workload.

Varela, who has represented Peru in the Olympic 7’s, was one of Danny Ward’s first signings for 2021 and he told londonbroncosrl.com that he is finding life with the Elite squad very different to training with the Academy on an evening after College.

The former Eastern Rhino said “It has been really good to be honest. A big step up from the Academy and going full time is a big difference and a real lifestyle change, but I am enjoying it and just trying to improve all the time.”

Being the youngest member of the squad leaves Varela with plenty to learn but the outside back added “It’s really good to be able to learn things from some of the senior players who are really experienced. For me now it is about putting some size on and get used to the change in lifestyle including diet.”

Jonah lives in a shared house with 3 other players, Rob Oakley, Gideon Boafo and Will Blakemore which is adding to the learning curve.

“It’s pretty much none stop eating in this house to be honest.” Varela said. “Today is Gidz birthday so we have got him a nice big chocolate cake sorted out!”

Getting the call up to the first team was a huge moment for Varela in his relatively short career but there is no chance of him settling for being one of the spare numbers in Danny Wards squad.

He said “I do understand that I am the youngest in the squad but I really would love to debut this year and I am working really hard to try and make sure that happens.”

View the full article

Archived