Henson getting fit for a crack at league

Rugby League is hard enough to get into for Union players in general, let alone a 39-year-old who last played in 2019.

I really hope this is a massive success on all fronts. Firstly it is an education for him, working out where he best fits into the 13-man game.

Secondly, and especially leading into the World Cup, in terms of profile and coverage we may otherwise not get.

I'm not saying he will rip it up and get into the Wales squad on merit but the attention it'll give WRL would be beneficial.

Either way good luck to the bloke. Big task and very interesting. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/02/2021 at 10:28, graveyard johnny said:

no, but it might have been.

It could be for Gavin. Imagine if he finds he’s a great fit and loves it so much he then wishes he had switched years ago, then it would be a what might have been!

On 11/02/2021 at 15:38, John Rhino said:

"The game is so tactical and I didn't realise that from watching it. I just thought it's hit it up for three or four, then have a go and kick"

Well who knew that?

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12214515/gavin-henson-former-wales-international-surprised-by-intensity-of-rugby-league-training-sessions

I find this a really interesting point.  That an international Rugby Union player cannot see the tactical and game management side of Rugby League. 

I suspect a lot in the game probably don't realise how tactical the elite level is and it is only when you see top level coaches dissect a game do you see the nuances involved. 

My question is, does this perception of the game being all brute and no brain hold us back and how do we change it?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I find this a really interesting point.  That an international Rugby Union player cannot see the tactical and game management side of Rugby League. 

I suspect a lot in the game probably don't realise how tactical the elite level is and it is only when you see top level coaches dissect a game do you see the nuances involved. 

My question is, does this perception of the game being all brute and no brain hold us back and how do we change it?

How to change it?

the content we produce - tactical features on social media, coaches corner etc etc.

(The FootyAssistant on Instagram is fine proof of how tactically nuanced our game is - great content there)

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The thing is, Brian Redhead literally says this in The Game That Got Away. In 1969.

That (damaging) perception has been cited for (at least, because he can’t have been the first) 51 years, and I can’t say I hold out much hope that anything can or is going to be done now.

On 15/02/2021 at 18:12, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Rugby League is hard enough to get into for Union players in general, let alone a 39-year-old who last played in 2019.

I really hope this is a massive success on all fronts. Firstly it is an education for him, working out where he best fits into the 13-man game.

Secondly, and especially leading into the World Cup, in terms of profile and coverage we may otherwise not get.

I'm not saying he will rip it up and get into the Wales squad on merit but the attention it'll give WRL would be beneficial.

Either way good luck to the bloke. Big task and very interesting. 

If he was having a crack at Super League I’d say it’s ridiculous, but it’s League One he’s playing in. He only retired as a professional player in 2019, nobody played more than a handful of games at League One level in 2020, so he’s not really had much longer out of training than anyone else he’s coming up against, his fitness and physically shouldn’t be a problem for him at the level. Will he be any good at Rugby League, I don’t know but it’ll be interesting to see, I’m hoping the bbc pick West Wales Raiders Round 1 Challenge Cup game so we can have a look at him and Rangi Chase.

On 15/02/2021 at 18:12, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I hadn't even thought about him getting in the WC squad. I hope he does. He'd better get fully fake tanned up too - we want him neon orange for any publicity shots

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The sky intro, showing those chrome robots doesn't help.

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Its always been a stick that some RU types use as a stick to beat Rugby League with, the old chequers v chess rubbish that is spouted. As with many RU myths it doesn't seem to matter how true or false it is.

15 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If he was having a crack at Super League I’d say it’s ridiculous, but it’s League One he’s playing in. He only retired as a professional player in 2019, nobody played more than a handful of games at League One level in 2020, so he’s not really had much longer out of training than anyone else he’s coming up against, his fitness and physically shouldn’t be a problem for him at the level. Will he be any good at Rugby League, I don’t know but it’ll be interesting to see, I’m hoping the bbc pick West Wales Raiders Round 1 Challenge Cup game so we can have a look at him and Rangi Chase.

That would be ideal, mate. 

23 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think he'll take a few games to settle and will be fine in third tier rugby 

Well, his name has already had a beneficial effect, as the BBC appear to be streaming two first-round Cup ties instead of the usual one. Featherstone v Bradford has been joined by West Wales v Widnes, according to the OurLeague website. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, his name has already had a beneficial effect, as the BBC appear to be streaming two first-round Cup ties instead of the usual one. Featherstone v Bradford has been joined by West Wales v Widnes, according to the OurLeague website. 

I think Widnes, might just tear them up.

Just now, fighting irish said:

I think Widnes, might just tear them up.

I reckon the BBC agree, so they want some Henson coverage while the Raiders are still in the cup.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I reckon the BBC agree, so they want some Henson coverage while the Raiders are still in the cup.

what date is the game?

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

what date is the game?

Both BBC streamed Cup ties are on Sunday, March the 21st. West Wales/Widnes, then Fev/Bradford.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/02/2021 at 20:46, Eddie said:

Good on him, I like how he‘s honest about how hard it is too, he obviously doesn’t think he’s going to rock up and be great from the off. 

I think hes had a lot of bad press over the years and does seem to be a top bloke

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, davet said:

Is he injured??

He played against Widnes in the cup, but can't see that he has played the Raiders's first 2 league games.

Judging by Henson's Twitter account, he's concentrating on his gastro pub...

May 9 (a Sunday):

Few tables left for Sunday lunch at The Fox today, weather looks good, fire is on! Give us a call on 01656881048 to book your table.

According to their coach he has a slight strain ( possibly by putting wet change into his pocket? ).

The rumour was that he was washing his hair last week.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

8 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Judging by Henson's Twitter account, he's concentrating on his gastro pub...

May 9 (a Sunday):

Few tables left for Sunday lunch at The Fox today, weather looks good, fire is on! Give us a call on 01656881048 to book your table.

that's commitment for you.

Sounds like he has forgotten that he signed for west wales.

Archived