Challenge Cup draw

The days of Wembley memories sadly are unlikely to come back, with the advent of full time teams. David Hobbs 2 tries and Steve Quinn's goals spring to mind , together with that famous head butt. But for Phantoms benefit never say never

7 minutes ago, haskey said:

The days of Wembley memories sadly are unlikely to come back, with the advent of full time teams. David Hobbs 2 tries and Steve Quinn's goals spring to mind , together with that famous head butt. But for Phantoms benefit never say never

there's always the sundeck cup 🏆😆

Given the way this draw works, I think we're in the toughest quarter for a place in the 1895 semi's and a 3rd round tie v SL opposition.

There'll be one each from:

{Fev/Bradford/Halifax/Batley}

{Swinton/Newcastle/Oldham/Barrow}

{London/Keighley/Sheffield/York}

{W.Wales/Widnes/Whitehaven/Dewsbury}

Hard to judge form after a year of no games, but the four could be Fev, Swinton, London and Widnes.

43 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Given the way this draw works, I think we're in the toughest quarter for a place in the 1895 semi's and a 3rd round tie v SL opposition.

Hard to judge form after a year of no games, but the four could be Fev, Swinton, London and Widnes.

Or just as easily 

Batley,  Newcastle , York and Dewsbury

IMG_0583.JPG

48 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Frankly I'm disappointed nobody has called this the "Group Of Death" yet.

Anyway...where's the match thread? 😃

5 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Or just as easily 

Batley,  Newcastle , York and Dewsbury

Bob,

We can all dream 😉

50 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I was thinking about this last night and I think this is good for us on a number of levels:

- Potentially it gives us 2 tough pre champinship games (not going to call them friendlies) to get up to speed for the championship games to come

- It gives us the chance to put down a marker for the year to come and if we go out, the time to re-adjust before the chanmpionship kicks off

- The way the draw pans out it does mean that if we get through to what will be the 1895 cup semis, it would give us a good shout at getting to the final at Wembley (that could be a good day out to make up for the year 2020)

The main draw back is that if we do go through we will end up playing significantly more games that the teams that may be considered our main rivals for the championship in 2021 (in particular one of London & York, Toulouse, Bradford, Halifax. Given that in all likelihood only one of London & York to go through plus Widnes and Fev - assuming we go through) which will mean those 3 teams are likely to play a minimum of 2 games more than their rivals and possibly 4)

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

50 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

- Potentially it gives us 2 tough pre champinship games (not going to call them friendlies) to get up to speed for the championship games to come

This is a good point. i don't think the club has said anything about pre-season games, but Leeds have today stated that their only pre-season game will be against Huddersfield, so we won't be playing them this year. My guess is that the current Covid training timetable probably doesn't give much leeway for pre-season games.

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is a good point. i don't think the club has said anything about pre-season games, but Leeds have today stated that their only pre-season game will be against Huddersfield, so we won't be playing them this year. My guess is that the current Covid training timetable probably doesn't give much leeway for pre-season games.

Bradford are to play Keighley and Dewsbury play Wakefield in planned pre-season friendlies.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Bradford are to play Keighley and Dewsbury play Wakefield in planned pre-season friendlies.

we'ave  31 player so would think it would be more prudent to stay in the FEV bubble and play amongst ourselves

On 12/02/2021 at 12:06, marklaspalmas said:

Regarding the 1895 Cup, Skybet have posted some odds on this - any guesses at to who the favourites are?

https://m.skybet.com/rugby-league/1895-cup/event/26889091

Well done if you said Widnes. Of course, part of the reason for this is that they seem to have a very straightforward path to round 3 of the Challenge Cup, and therefore to the semi finals of the 1895 Cup. It's possible they'll still be about 11-4, or even bigger depending on who else qualifies, if they reach the semi finals.

Archived