The Rugby League GOAT

As with all GOAT debates its really a generation thing.

Take football all today's kids will say Messi is the best ever but probably never saw the true magic of Maradona. Put Gazza in today's Premier League which is a poor standard and he would destroy it.

People in Oz are so biased they would never consider a UK based player so even though their choice could be a good one they tend to dismiss 50% of the RL player options.

So RL, and I can only say the players I've seen so I can't really compair Billy Boston against say Billy Slater. All I can say is that Hanley is the best I've ever seen, Roby is easily as good as Smith and if you asked me to pick a prop for my dream team Jamie Peacock would be their all day long.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

As with all GOAT debates its really a generation thing.

Take football all today's kids will say Messi is the best ever but probably never saw the true magic of Maradona. Put Gazza in today's Premier League which is a poor standard and he would destroy it.

All I can say is that Hanley is the best I've ever seen, Roby is easily as good as Smith and if you asked me to pick a prop for my dream team Jamie Peacock would be their all day long.

Can't argue or disagree about JP.

Personally I don't think Smith was better than Steve Walters or Benny Elias at hooker.

I will not comment on Australian bias‼️😳

3 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Hard to touch Hanley really for me.  It's probably the first real RL etched memory his last season at Bradford when he got the try record, the atmosphere when he'd get the ball and everyone talking about him like no one ever since.  Dad and Grandad always said there was none better either.  There was a kids training session the following year, Phil Ford was there, and some smart mouth giving it 'wish it were last year, we'd have had Ellery'. 🤣

Believe Phil Ford was devastated that he was part of the deal that took Hanley to Wigan ❓

Too many great players over different eras who brought different things to the table

most Dangerous attacking player - Ellery 

most natural footballer Instinctive of the cuff genius player- Schoey 

Best leader brains - Sinfield/cameron Smith

best all round can do everything- The King Wally Lewis

other note worthy greats Kenny Sterling Johns Thurstone Meninga Fittler Andy Gregory Laurie Daley 

at a pinch I would say Wally is the best I ever saw 

30 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Can't argue or disagree about JP.

Personally I don't think Smith was better than Steve Walters or Benny Elias at hooker.

I will not comment on Australian bias‼️😳

Buderous was the best Hooker I ever saw in terms of Talent, smith brings other things to the table Roby is possibly the best British 9 I have seen like Peacock gets better with age.

20 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Ellery Hanley

Absolutely this, an incredible player that had almost everything.  Been watching a lot of older games in this lockdown and he stood out in every one he played in.

Its funny when you think of players being good or great because of a particular aspect of their game. Hanley was exceptional in all aspects.

A few mentions of Smith. A great player but not the greatest for me. I feel his style of play benefited from playing in some great teams surrounded by great players, allowing him to be the player he was. Without that I think he'd be viewed differently. 

18 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Ellery.

Smith is a great player but saying he’s the GOAT is a bit like picking a goalie as football or wicketkeeper as cricket GOAT. 

Interesting comparison. Only problem there is that a Wicketkeeper (Adam Gilchrist) was arguably the biggest single difference maker for the best Cricket side of all time the Aussies in the early 2000s and revolutionised the sport.

30 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its funny when you think of players being good or great because of a particular aspect of their game. Hanley was exceptional in all aspects.

A few mentions of Smith. A great player but not the greatest for me. I feel his style of play benefited from playing in some great teams surrounded by great players, allowing him to be the player he was. Without that I think he'd be viewed differently. 

If Hanley and Smith were in the same side, the coaches message to Smith would be "get it to Hanley".

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

53 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

Interesting comparison. Only problem there is that a Wicketkeeper (Adam Gilchrist) was arguably the biggest single difference maker for the best Cricket side of all time the Aussies in the early 2000s and revolutionised the sport.

Probably but that doesn’t make him cricket GOAT...

19 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The reason why Hanley is the best.

There are players with unbelievable highlight reels who seem to be able to do things that no other player can. Those once in a generation special talents who will light up a game with a match winning moment.

And then there are players with huge workrates who seem to win a game through sheer endurance and the mental courage to refusal to surrender. 

And Hanley was both.

On top of all that the other reason Hanley gets it for me is how he manage to work himself from the wing through centre and stand off before eventually ending up at loose forward. In every position he was simply world class. Every team new about him just couldn’t do anything to stop him. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

On top of all that the other reason Hanley gets it for me is how he manage to work himself from the wing through centre and stand off before eventually ending up at loose forward. In every position he was simply world class. Every team new about him just couldn’t do anything to stop him. 

I tried telling some, not all, Wigan supporters that at the time. Sadly, they chose not to listen and argued that Ellery was overrated 😅

12 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

I tried telling some, not all, Wigan supporters that at the time. Sadly, they chose not to listen and argued that Ellery was overrated 😅

As A Saints fan I wouldn’t like admitting it at the time but he was invariably be the player that made the special play to win games. Luckily for us you then got rid of him and signed Offiah. 🤔

20 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Wigan v Australia 1986 when Hanley was injured ❓

I think so. Lewis scored or made(?) a try on the 7th tackle.  Lewis stepped up in the last 15 to 20 minutes there and pulled up Australia out of a mire.

5 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Going off topic slightly.

Please forgive me everyone.

I am delighted that one name hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread and I will not include it.

His son is🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏉union captain.

Yes.  But there are many great players. Many.  It really is a bit fatuous.  I said Kenney... not simply a great player but hugely influential not simply for Wigan but our game.  I'm sure a number of Hull fans will understandably name his Aussie team mate, Peter Stirling.

That's why for me Kenny is so iconic.  But greatest iconic player, well from Wigan one has to say Billy Boston.  But equally how iconic was Jim Sullivan?  Others will have someone of course.

Iconic. =  Emblematic.  Symbolic.

Cambridge Dictionary says, "... especially being considered to represent particular opinions or a particular time." 

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes.  But there are many great players. Many.  It really is a bit fatuous.  I said Kenney... not simply a great player but hugely influential not simply for Wigan but our game.  I'm sure a number of Hull fans will understandably name his Aussie team mate, Peter Stirling.

That's why for me Kenny is so iconic.  But greatest iconic player, well from Wigan one has to say Billy Boston.  But equally how iconic was Jim Sullivan?  Others will have someone of course.

Iconic. =  Emblematic.  Symbolic.

Cambridge Dictionary says, "... especially being considered to represent particular opinions or a particular time." 

Kenny, Stirling, Boston, Sullivan, Ring...latter 3 before my time. All wonderful and iconic players.

I think we are all influenced in our opinion by our generation of players we have seen play.

Archived