Clubs with teams in other sports

Mr Plow

Leeds Rhinos netball are making their Super League debut tonight and there is talk of Bradford Bulls having a speedway team when speedway returns to Odsal. 

The likes of Bayern Munich and Barcelona have multiple teams playing multiple sports but are these firsts for rugby league? Has any other club tried to enter a team into a different sport?

9 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Leeds Rhinos netball are making their Super League debut tonight and there is talk of Bradford Bulls having a speedway team when speedway returns to Odsal. 

The likes of Bayern Munich and Barcelona have multiple teams playing multiple sports but are these firsts for rugby league? Has any other club tried to enter a team into a different sport?

I remember the Warrington team had a crack at boxing in the late 80's.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

39 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a very European idea the "multi sport club". A mate of mine is very proud to say he played for the same clubs as Lionel Messi (just for Rugby not football!).

Incidentally is this Rhinos netball game in Wakefield??

Certainly is as our LED man was there all day yesterday setting up 🙂

21 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Newcastle RU are the owners I believe of Newcastle Thunder.

Either that or they share the same owner. I can't remember the actual set-up.

Bradford Bulls owned Wakefield RUFC for a while, and even fielded a couple of the latter's players in the Twickenham Sevens victory.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Either that or they share the same owner. I can't remember the actual set-up.

Bradford Bulls owned Wakefield RUFC for a while, and even fielded a couple of the latter's players in the Twickenham Sevens victory.

Bradford bought them they then went bust and out of existence.  Shame as Wakefield RUFC had a good history, remember they had a decent team in the 80s.

6 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Bradford bought them they then went bust and out of existence.  Shame as Wakefield RUFC had a good history, remember they had a decent team in the 80s.

The two Wakefield players in that Bradford side, Jon Feeley and John Skurr, are actually working together nowadays, coaching Wharfedale RUFC.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Red Star Belgrade and a couple of the Moscow teams are under the umbrella of other sports. 

I *think* Red Star licence the name rather than coming under the sports club. (This can be more than a semantic difference: Atletico Madrid and HSV Hamburg handball were both licencees rather than part of the club which meant when they ran into financial problems they were on their own).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

59 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Liverpool St Helens RU and RL. There’s probably plenty of cases of cross sport in the amateur game. 

Would have been more during the height of the Summer Conference

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I *think* Red Star licence the name rather than coming under the sports club. (This can be more than a semantic difference: Atletico Madrid and HSV Hamburg handball were both licencees rather than part of the club which meant when they ran into financial problems they were on their own).

I think PSG were like that in RL too and the RL club basically paid for the name.

On the other hand if some of our clubs, particularly the struggling ones were owned by big clubs from other sports ie football,  what a difference that would make to finances and visibility. London Broncos by Tottenham,  or Salford by Man United for example. The Tottenham Hotspur Broncos games given a plug by Jose Mourinho. 

1 hour ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

It's not like Bulls to drive a business out of existence...

Archived