Clubs with teams in other sports

Mr Plow

It's a very clever especially by Rhinos to have a Netball side. When you look at skill sets you may get a player for the women's side appear from the Netball team especially sporting all-rounders into the Rugby League side. On another point Netball is huge in New Zealand and Australia too where potentially you may get funding/sponsors for the Netball side or a brother of a Netballer might turn out as a decent League player and the final point not really related but a bit of self publicity, Ella Whiting has made it into the Rhinos U19s side she attends Ashville College in Harrogate where the Harrogate Fire Ants play from.

There are many benefits and thinking out of the box as to who could do what might be another way to manage club finances/growth potential 

4 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Bradford bought them they then went bust and out of existence.  Shame as Wakefield RUFC had a good history, remember they had a decent team in the 80s.

They did, and had two England Internationals, Brian Barley and Mike Harrison.

I honestly don't know why the multi-sport model hasn't caught on. It seems to make financial sense as die hard fans will show up to support the other sport teams even if it isn't their preferred sport. Barcelona for example have football, basketball, handball, rink hockey, ice hockey, field hockey, rugby, and many other other sport teams. 

3 hours ago, eal said:

I honestly don't know why the multi-sport model hasn't caught on. It seems to make financial sense as die hard fans will show up to support the other sport teams even if it isn't their preferred sport. Barcelona for example have football, basketball, handball, rink hockey, ice hockey, field hockey, rugby, and many other other sport teams. 

One of our team here in Spain works for Barca in the marketing department mentioned last week its really bad they are totally insolvent.

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Incidentally is this Rhinos netball game in Wakefield??

All the opening games for all teams are being played there.

Apparently, it's absolutely freezing as, in line with Covid restrictions, the windows and doors are having to be kept open.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, eal said:

I doubt if they would in this country tbf. 

11 hours ago, HawkMan said:

On the other hand if some of our clubs, particularly the struggling ones were owned by big clubs from other sports ie football,  what a difference that would make to finances and visibility. London Broncos by Tottenham,  or Salford by Man United for example. The Tottenham Hotspur Broncos games given a plug by Jose Mourinho. 

That would put a lot of people off, probably more than it would bring in. 

I used to play chess at a fairly competitive level and know of some administrators that were hoping to link/align their chess club with the local Premier League team because they’d seen something similar in Germany.  It never happened but it was an interesting vision.

In that country since the design of a federal system, there’s much more of a tradition of participating in clubs and multi sport clubs are much more of a thing than they are here.  People are big into being part of a local club in Germany.

I don’t know whether it’d transfer across to Britain, but generally there seems to me to be a lot more things organised in postwar Germany in which profit making is low down the order when it comes to sport, yet clubs still seem sustainable.  This is probably most visible with football where fans have a bigger say over the running of clubs at board level.  

13 hours ago, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

It's a very clever especially by Rhinos to have a Netball side. When you look at skill sets you may get a player for the women's side appear from the Netball team especially sporting all-rounders into the Rugby League side. On another point Netball is huge in New Zealand and Australia too where potentially you may get funding/sponsors for the Netball side or a brother of a Netballer might turn out as a decent League player and the final point not really related but a bit of self publicity, Ella Whiting has made it into the Rhinos U19s side she attends Ashville College in Harrogate where the Harrogate Fire Ants play from.

There are many benefits and thinking out of the box as to who could do what might be another way to manage club finances/growth potential 

yep, agree

Just for note for others Rhinos have had a netball team for a number of years (about 5 years), not just this year with them entering netball SL.  They played in one of the pyramid leagues for a while, then a U19 team in readiness for the move into SL.

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I used to play chess at a fairly competitive level and know of some administrators that were hoping to link/align their chess club with the local Premier League team because they’d seen something similar in Germany.  It never happened but it was an interesting vision.

In that country since the design of a federal system, there’s much more of a tradition of participating in clubs and multi sport clubs are much more of a thing than they are here.  People are big into being part of a local club in Germany.

I don’t know whether it’d transfer across to Britain, but generally there seems to me to be a lot more things organised in postwar Germany in which profit making is low down the order when it comes to sport, yet clubs still seem sustainable.  This is probably most visible with football where fans have a bigger say over the running of clubs at board level.  

You should play my missis I have given up its embarrassing for me, and during the lockdown she has forced me into even more humiliation:(

Paul

19 hours ago, dboy said:

Wakefield Trinity have a Ladies Football Team and there was a netball team, but not sure what happened with that.

There was also the Wakey Wheeled Cats; a Rollerball team. Go figure.

Warrington wolves allegedly have a rugby league team 

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

You should play my missis I have given up its embarrassing for me, and during the lockdown she has forced me into even more humiliation:(

Paul

chuckle... know how you feel - I resorted back to draughts.... even then the missus is ruddy competitive and thinks more strategically than me... snakes & ladders next 

I now use one of the chess software programmes...  at least can pick a level that I can win at...

20 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

The Stags have 11 darts teams;

Monday Mens x 2

Tuesday Ladies x 6

Wed Mens x 2

Thursday Ladies x 1

And, separately,  they are Associate Members of the Hertfordshire RFU

Darts - not a sport.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived