• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He didn't! It's there in black and white - Maradona. ūüėú

How can you have 4? It kind of misses the point.

Football: Pele or Johan Cruyff.   

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Ooo what a pantomime that was. I remember it so wellūüėÜ

To be totally fair, he didn't disgrace himself but was obviously outclassed.

I used to work on the demolition and a few blokes knew him(Hard blokes themselves) They reckoned he was hard as nails.

Just to add, IIRC he injured himself while working as a scaffolder later in life and ended up walking with a stick. Can you imagine the purse he'd get today from a similar fight? He wouldn't have to be working on building sites I suspect.

Edited by Johnoco
1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

To be totally fair, he didn't disgrace himself but was obviously outclassed.

I used to work on the demolition and a few blokes knew him(Hard blokes themselves) They reckoned he was hard as nails.

A decade for heavyweights that just were a class down from frazer Norton et al....

Joe Bugner a similar level.

Where were you last Thursday?

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I notice you left out¬†handball! ūüėČ

He didn't! It's there in black and white - Maradona. ūüėú

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

This is the thing about eras . Personally i think  theres at least a debate about Warne being the greatest cricketer . And of course Money Mayweather would say hes the greatest

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Road racing - Joey Dunlop

Track - Valentino Rossi/Giacomo Agostini (too far apart in time to really compare like with like as the sport changed so much 

Special commendation for John Surtees, who was a world champion on two wheels and four.

• Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I agree with many of the ones we’ve had already (and some of the counter opinions too!)

Baseball has an interesting debate on it’s all time greatest player due to the colour barrier being accounted for.  Due to that, it’s generally accepted that white players were playing in a less competitive era with segregation in baseball and thus a stats based assessment can’t be used in pure terms to compare different eras.  In fact many baseball pundits/historians tend to put a slight asterisk against some of that games legendary names.

Even accepting that, Babe Ruth’s performances generally tend to see him at number one almost Bradman style by the numbers.  With Willie Mays undoubtedly number 2 as the all round greatest baseball player who could do everything (hitting, fielding, catching, base stealing etc) at an unbelievably high level for a very long period of time.

I've a soft spot for Ted Williams as being the greatest hitter of all time and I'd have Greg Maddux as the greatest pitcher.

Willie Mays will just have to make do with having The Catch.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've had a good think and I'm going with Stephen Hendry for snooker but closely followed by Steve Davis. As with other sports, quite hard to compare players from different periods but I can make a case for both of them and why it isn't Ronnie O'Sullivan. 

No u can't. Fastest ever 147 tad over 5 mins. Multiple world champ. Can play both hands.........

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

10 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

No u can't. Fastest ever 147 tad over 5 mins. Multiple world champ. Can play both hands.........

...but a woefully poor knowledge of bonkers French prog rock bands. :kolobok_wink:

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

2 hours ago, stimpo-and-kat said:

Bodybuilding- Arnold Schwarzenegger or Ronnie Coleman.

strongman -Zydrunas Saviskas

Although Pudzianowski won 5 titles I’d agree Big Z is ahead of him in the rankings overall 

18 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

The boxing one is difficult 

Ali , just incredible 

Tyson ,brutal 

Plenty of other heavyweights 

But , the conundrum is weighting 

So it really is undoable 

Tyson is an interesting one about what it means to be GOAT. Does it mean the best to ever play the sport or does it represent the greatest someone has achieved in the sport?

Some people would argue that Tyson at his peak was unbeatable. This would suggest he was the GOAT to box, however if you take his career in the wider picture he can't be considered. As Teddy Atlas said, he's never won a fight in his life. 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

This is the thing about eras . Personally i think  theres at least a debate about Warne being the greatest cricketer . And of course Money Mayweather would say hes the greatest

To play devil's advocate, Ali lost a number of times while Mayweather never did.

Ali is benefited greatly by his story and how well known his fights were. Barring a catastrophe, Tyson Fury will be higher up on the all time list than he probably should be because of the way his career has gone. 

2 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Road racing - Joey Dunlop

Track - Valentino Rossi/Giacomo Agostini (too far apart in time to really compare like with like as the sport changed so much 

Can't really argue about Joey, did it over a number of years but  DJ (David Jessop) could have challenged his records but for the Road Racers Achilles heel, Death, Hutchy might have been up there had he not destroyed his leg.

Vale takes the track one because Ago had by far the superior machinery, not much  competition and a much shorter GP season in his era but credit to him for racing the IOM when it was part of the championship. You might say Ago had Hailwood and Reid as rivals at times but the reliability of their bikes was poor in comparison to the MV which is strange to say of Italian bikes of that era.

• Thanks 1

Gymnastics - Simone Biles. I've rarely seen a more dominant competitor in any sport.

Bowls - David Bryant. Multiple world and commonwealth titles, all while smoking a pipe.

Track Cycling - Chris Hoy maybe?

Decathlon -  Daley Thompson may not be the highest-scoring of all time, but he broke the world record four times, which is one more than any other competitor.

Fencing - Ferenc Marki. Not just a legend as a competitor, but as a coach as well.

• Like 1