NRL on Sky

31 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I know on this forum many watch the NRL here in the UK... fine but to be perfectly honest with respect to myself... I couldn't give a toss about the NRL... I'm just one obviously but in relation to some of the posts... if NRL was the only option I wouldn't be going to see or watching any RL.

In fact I'd properly go and watch RU games if that was the only professional rugby on offer rather than watch NRL here - it just doesn't offer any interest above RU despite what many would say about the contrast in the type of rugby played.  I guess its because the team I'm going to watch has to have some geographical aspect I care enough about.

I agree with all of that, apart, of course, from watching bloody Rugby Union

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I know on this forum many watch the NRL here in the UK... fine but to be perfectly honest with respect to myself... I couldn't give a toss about the NRL... I'm just one obviously but in relation to some of the posts... if NRL was the only option I wouldn't be going to see or watching any RL.

In fact I'd properly go and watch RU games if that was the only professional rugby on offer rather than watch NRL here - it just doesn't offer any interest above RU despite what many would say about the contrast in the type of rugby played.  I guess its because the team I'm going to watch has to have some geographical aspect I care enough about.

I like having the NRL on on the weekend mornings in the background whilst going about my business, but I do get where you are coming from. There seems to be a bit of ab attitude that because you are an RL fan you will be interested in the NRL, but I'm also a football fan, and I have no interest in La Liga or the Budesliga whatsoever. 

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think it is probably human nature that you overestimate the value or interest in something that you are immersed in.  The NRL is big news in Australia and in some parts of country it dominates the sports news (or overall news) cycle like Premier League football does here.  When considering the cultural relevance of Rugby League in Australia we always have to remember that Rugby League games (Grand Finals and SOO) are at the top of the most viewed tv programmes in Australia - not just sports programmes but most viewed tv events of the year overall.  Trying to have some empathy for, or understanding of, the position of Rugby League in the UK from that starting point is very difficult.

When I visited England the FA Cup final was on. I was shocked by the low level of media coverage it was receiving. I was too used to the disproportionate coverage sport can get here in Australia.

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

When I visited England the FA Cup final was on. I was shocked by the low level of media coverage it was receiving. I was too used to the disproportionate coverage sport can get here in Australia.

Absolutely.  And the sport gets media attention because it is so popular and draws huge tv audiences. And it is popular and draws huge tv audiences because (in part) it gets so much media attention. It is locked into a virtuous circle.

To some degree, Rugby League in the UK is at the opposite end of the scale... it has lacked media attention (in part) because it is not a big player and it is not a big player (in part) because it lacks media attention.  A vicious circle.

It has been this way for over a 100 years and until recently would have been desperately difficult to break out of. But, with risk of straying massively off topic, we have a chance to own our own destiny here. While knowing relatively little about it (I am in the Cloud side) the company I work for is a global social media marketing business and I have seen some wonderful things we have done with some household brands. If we decided to invest with meaning into the social media world (with joined up and innoviative content) I think we could come on miles. Anyway, that is another topic.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

On the contrary, quite a few people I know (in Norfolk, so not hardened RL fans) watch it. It’s no surprise, it’s the best sport on TV. 

Yep lots of casual fans down here too based on my experience , early AM weirdly is an attractive time on Saturday/Sunday morning Sky Sports....nothing else on

of all the rugby league fans i know and it is a lot none of them would miss the nrl matches and they are the main talking point in the pub on a monday night.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

8 minutes ago, my missus said:

of all the rugby league fans i know and it is a lot none of them would miss the nrl matches and they are the main talking point in the pub on a monday night.

Going to the pub and talking about the NRL. Now that does sound good doesn't it!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Going to the pub and talking about the NRL. Now that does sound good doesn't it!

happy days of yore.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

3 hours ago, redjonn said:

Me too John , I need some emotional attachment , it's that that takes me to Leigh , no Leigh and I'd probably go watch Wigan Athletic with my son , NRL ? Couldn't give a toss , not watched more than 20 minutes of a match in 10 years 

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Rounding to the nearest million, 1:1000 people in UK is 68,000 so yeah, probably more that 1:1000 could name 3 NRL teams but probably not masses more. 

I suppose thinking about it, 68,000 is around the average number of people that attend RL on a regular basis, an average of 9,000 or so each for the 6 SL games, around 2,000 of so each for the 7 Championship games, not sure what the average for league 1 is, a few hundred maybe, then small numbers at amateur games.

9,000x6=54,000

2,000x7=14,000

There's your 68,000 and then a few thousand for lower leagues. 

Okay, so we've established, very roughly, that the 1:1000 number is more a reflection on regular RL attendance rather than awareness of NRL. 

It's still early, I haven't fully woken up yet.... 

it’s not though because it isn’t the same people going to every game, even if it was at every club you’d have to double those numbers as there are 12 clubs. There will be more than 150,000 people going to at least a handful of RL games a season. 

23 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Doesnt it?... I want to move to Sydney or even Brisbane

Go for it!

SE Queensland is better than Sydney though because it’s easier to get around and warm pub weather is year round.

In Sydney you can also get stuck in a workplace full of north shore union fans or eastern suburbs AFL fans, in Brisbane it seems to be RL love spread across the whole place.

However in Sydney, if you had the time and money, you can watch multiple live NRL matches every weekend.

but I digress..

Just now, Copa said:

Go for it!

SE Queensland is better than Sydney though because it’s easier to get around and warm pub weather is year round.

In Sydney you can also get stuck in a workplace full of north shore union fans or eastern suburbs AFL fans, in Brisbane it seems to be RL love spread across the whole place.

However in Sydney, if you had the time and money, you can watch multiple live NRL matches every weekend.

but I digress..

You had me on warm weather all year round 

Just one thing.... Spiders, snakes, sharks and crocodiles.... Should I be worried? 

24 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Me too John , I need some emotional attachment , it's that that takes me to Leigh , no Leigh and I'd probably go watch Wigan Athletic with my son , NRL ? Couldn't give a toss , not watched more than 20 minutes of a match in 10 years 

It's a touch of both for me. If UK league died I'd still watch N. Saints bit I'd miss the excitement so I'd be watching even more NRL

15 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just one thing.... Spiders, snakes, sharks and crocodiles.... Should I be worried? 

No , it's the Aussies themselves who are the problem 

14 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's a touch of both for me. If UK league died I'd still watch N. Saints bit I'd miss the excitement so I'd be watching even more NRL

Serves you right for living out in the sticks 

34 minutes ago, Copa said:

Go for it!

but I digress..

Brisbane sounds better on those two points (beer garden weather all year and no union fans ~ all league, happy days. 

42 minutes ago, Copa said:

Go for it!

but I digress..

Are there really areas of Sydney where Aussie Rules is bigger than League? 

56 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Millions of people live with venomous and dangerous animals in Australia without too many hassles.

No crocodiles for a very long time in Brisbane.

I have the second most venomous land snake (eastern brown snake)  on earth in my suburb in Canberra. Follow a few rules that are drilled into us from childhood and you’re ok.

Have a look on the “ACT Snake Sightings” Facebook page for some Canberra snake sightings..

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

it’s not though because it isn’t the same people going to every game, even if it was at every club you’d have to double those numbers as there are 12 clubs. There will be more than 150,000 people going to at least a handful of RL games a season. 

Oh yeah, that's a good point, I said it was still early when I was thinking that rubbish up! 😂

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wouldn’t say bigger, but there are areas like the eastern suburbs where you can find quite a few Sydney Swans fans.

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

36 minutes ago, Copa said:

I wouldn’t say bigger, but there are areas like the eastern suburbs where you can find quite a few Sydney Swans fans.

No definitely not. Maybe in some households.

I had to stay in the Eastern Suburbs a couple of days a go, dropping the kids back at Uni, in the park opposite where I stayed there was a school playing sport at lunchtime, boaters and blazers and all, a large group of kids were playing soccer and an equal if not larger amount were playing Touch football, proper play-the-ball and all and really enjoying themselves. I was very pleasantly surprised. Really confirmed for me the power of that form of the game to introduce all types to our game.

Archived