The Fall and Mark E Smith

9 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

This post must be facetious. However determined a philistine, nobody could be so irredeemably benighted. Not when their location puts such scintillating cultural centres as Luton and Milton Keynes within easy reach.

Having a go at Luton?... Next time you want to buy a hat don't come running to us

I love The Fall - they made some of the most interesting music around for several decades. MES was a drunk, and almost everyone who ever worked with him, married him or interviewed him seemingly has some story about some horrible thing(s) he said or did. To produce so many memorable tracks in the space of forty years, using 60-odd musicians, at least some of whom were not particularly accomplished on their instruments, says a lot about his talent though. Gigs - I've seen some great ones, some terrible. Always entertaining though - you never knew if he was going to be sober, have a punch up, play something you hadn't heard for decades, do a rockabilly cover of a chart song, walk off after an hour or whatever.

38 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Truly typical and truly awful

Awful enough for record companies to invest in 32 studio albums,  yes 32, and I met him once, shared a drink or three. But then I am weird, I actually watched Luton Town last night against Cardiff instead of Barca vPSG. Had happy memories at Kenilworth Rd in my youth watching Spurs. 

51 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Many people say their worst gig ever was a Fall gig 

What year? I assume he was drunk? 

For some reason, I like this video of The Fall playing a festival in Oslo, to an utterly bemused audience clearly waiting for A-ha or Bjorn Again or something.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Awful enough for record companies to invest in 32 studio albums,  yes 32, and I met him once, shared a drink or three. But then I am weird, I actually watched Luton Town last night against Cardiff instead of Barca vPSG. Had happy memories at Kenilworth Rd in my youth watching Spurs. 

Ha! You like The Fall and Kenilworth Road???!!! 

On 17/02/2021 at 11:24, HawkMan said:

Kenilworth Rd 

9 hours ago, Josef K said:

This must be some kicker conspiracy having a dig at The Fall. 

When the Millwall kicker conspiracy descended on Kenilworth Rd in 1985, the local rozzers must have felt like Alan Minter.

I used to go to Burnden Park Bolton. At one game in the mid-70s, following extensive ructions a fortnight earlier, the police confiscated the laces from the boots of any likely-looking lads as they came through the turnstiles. Theory was that their boots would fly off if they tried kicking anyone. Honestly not making that up.

Archived