Our League

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably a stupid question and I have missed something obvious, but...

The 1st round of SL games are all being played at Leeds and the second round all at St Helens, in similar style to alst year.

I've seen nothing to suggest that the Championship/L1 games are being played at a communal ground though, they seem to be taking place at the official home team's venue, yet at staggered times (for the OurLeague coverage).

Is this correct, and if so, what's the reasoning? Do we have any more details on what the OurLeague coverage is going to consisst of ie who films it/commentates? Don't get me wrong, I think the fact that such widespread coverage is going to be available is fantastic, just wondering if we will have a series of homer commentators raising the blood pressure of away fans?

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Just seen something on the Oldham website about the broadcasts: "...clubs have to underwrite all broadcasting costs. They take 90 per cent of any profit, but it is still regarded as essential to their financial well-being that the online initiative proves popular with supporters."

Difference with SL is Sky are footing the Bill. All games at one location will cut costs for Sky 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is probably a stupid question and I have missed something obvious, but...

The 1st round of SL games are all being played at Leeds and the second round all at St Helens, in similar style to alst year.

I've seen nothing to suggest that the Championship/L1 games are being played at a communal ground though, they seem to be taking place at the official home team's venue, yet at staggered times (for the OurLeague coverage).

Is this correct, and if so, what's the reasoning? Do we have any more details on what the OurLeague coverage is going to consisst of ie who films it/commentates? Don't get me wrong, I think the fact that such widespread coverage is going to be available is fantastic, just wondering if we will have a series of homer commentators raising the blood pressure of away fans?

It's a win for Sky having the games centralised and win for SL to not pay for places like KCOM & DW. Whilst it's probably more covid safe not having teams congregate all in one location, with more Championship grounds been owned or much cheaper usage agreements......

It is good to have the option to see the championship and CC on TV. Anyhow, I think the pricing is far off the market. Streaming doesn't have the event and feel good character of attending games. Empty stadia and the lack of atmosphere ain't good either for watching at home. Therefore pricing should be reasonably. If I compare it to other streaming services I doubt that prices are fair - at least from an EU mainland perspective and the options available.

All NRL games are at EUR155 via watchnrl, Superleague is at GBP100 (weekly 5, monthly 18), Superrugby Aotearoa GBP35 (weekly 7), RugbyPass with Pro14/Curry/Mitre/Rugby Championship is at GBP35, Heineken Champions and Challenge Cup weekend pass EUR 14. Then you have other plattforms like DAZN with lots of sports content.

Personally I don't get the rationale behind the pricing. If it is to give fans an option to watch the games of their clubs it is fine, if it is to attract neutrals or casuals it fails. 

Just now, lanzer98 said:

It is good to have the option to see the championship and CC on TV. Anyhow, I think the pricing is far off the market. Streaming doesn't have the event and feel good character of attending games. Empty stadia and the lack of atmosphere ain't good either for watching at home. Therefore pricing should be reasonably. If I compare it to other streaming services I doubt that prices are fair - at least from an EU mainland perspective and the options available.

All NRL games are at EUR155 via watchnrl, Superleague is at GBP100 (weekly 5, monthly 18), Superrugby Aotearoa GBP35 (weekly 7), RugbyPass with Pro14/Curry/Mitre/Rugby Championship is at GBP35, Heineken Champions and Challenge Cup weekend pass EUR 14. Then you have other plattforms like DAZN with lots of sports content.

Personally I don't get the rationale behind the pricing. If it is to give fans an option to watch the games of their clubs it is fine, if it is to attract neutrals or casuals it fails. 

I don't think £5 a game is above the market price? I've seen non-league football teams charging about that. 

It would be interesting to see what a subscription model would do, £10 a month for all the games or something like that. I can't be the only person who's had gym/netflix/streaming subscriptions that I've kept for months despite infrequent use. I know it might be a bit underhand but an introductory month then up it. Unless the plan is literally just to get through these months of COVID until crowds are back then revert to whatever it was before. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

A 5er per game is fine but why does it go up to 10 on matchday?

Anyhow, I was referring to weekend and annual passes. My comparables were RU and RL related only. It seems to me that a Tier2 competition is more expensive than a Tier1. So why would an AUS, NZ, or EU Customer buy in to it.

24 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

So that you'll commit early and not want to spend a tenner.

Non league football locally (Eastbourne) is £7 per stream; Football League is £10 a stream. I've just checked a Scottish Championship game and that is also £10 a stream.

We're absolutely in the ballpark of comparative prices.

And another example ...

coverPhoto

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

Anyhow, I was referring to weekend and annual passes. My comparables were RU and RL related only. It seems to me that a Tier2 competition is more expensive than a Tier1. So why would an AUS, NZ, or EU Customer buy in to it.

They are not the target audience though. Would it being £2 greatly increase subscribers from those places? I highly doubt it but it would certainly make it unfeasible costs wise.

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So that you'll commit early and not want to spend a tenner.

Non league football locally (Eastbourne) is £7 per stream; Football League is £10 a stream. I've just checked a Scottish Championship game and that is also £10 a stream.

We're absolutely in the ballpark of comparative prices.

... sometimes plans to watch a game change for family reason. Therefore I prefer annual/monthly subscriptions so you can watch the games on demand whenever you want or I buy late selectively.

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

They are not the target audience though. Would it being £2 greatly increase subscribers from those places? I highly doubt it but it would certainly make it unfeasible costs wise.

That is probably the reason. Although it won’t prevent me to watch some games.

4 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

... sometimes plans to watch a game change for family reason. Therefore I prefer annual/monthly subscriptions so you can watch the games on demand whenever you want or I buy late selectively.

That's fine. But that's not what's being offered so you'll need to decide whether £10 a game - the same price as the Football League - is too high.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Archie Gordon said:

At least while Sky own the rights, I think the streaming can only happen whilst crowds are absent. Which I think is a shame.

I'm forever confused by Sky owning the rights to matches they have no intention of ever showing. Even if we gave them a 10% cut, it wouldn't be much money to Sky but it would be more than, you know, zero. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Hasn't a figure of over £1000 to cover a match been mentioned? That's a lot of subscribers to just break even.

It's not as if, like the NRL, the cameras are already going to be at West Wales vs. London Skolars for example.

£1,250 per match unless the club themselves can find suppliers to do it to the same minimum standard but cheaper.

3 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Hasn't a figure of over £1000 to cover a match been mentioned? That's a lot of subscribers to just break even.

It's not as if, like the NRL, the cameras are already going to be at West Wales vs. London Skolars for example.

Games have to be recorded anyway, presumably for potential disciplinary reasons. So it’s just the additional kit/software/whatever to stream it. 

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Games have to be recorded anyway, presumably for potential disciplinary reasons. So it’s just the additional kit/software/whatever to stream it. 

It's also the presentation format, picture quality, commentary, graphics etc.

24 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

It's also the presentation format, picture quality, commentary, graphics etc.

The key thing being it has to be broadcast quality not "good enough for the disciplinary" quality.

4 hours ago, lanzer98 said:

I agree with this post.

However, have I missed something? Can I pay 100 quid a year and watch all super league matches? 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If the lower tier clubs had been sorting out a YouTube ( or similar ) highlights show as they should have done years ago , they'd have been working at that level by now 

They wasted the opportunity by having another vehicle for Alex Simmons and the Rugby AM crew, who got work constantly from the RFL but never produced what was needed, that highlights show you mentioned.

16 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I agree with this post.

However, have I missed something? Can I pay 100 quid a year and watch all super league matches? 

SuperLeague‘s streaming service outside UK is at:

www.live.rugby-league.com

They offer weekly, monthly, and annual passes. Annual pass is GBP100.

Archived