Our League

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/02/2021 at 16:13, Tommygilf said:

I think Clubs and the league are thinking about this the wrong way regarding Season Ticket holders vs matchday streamers.

One off stream purchases should be seen as a bit of a bonus really, just as walkup matchday tickets are.

Season Tickets as a concept are now facing a whole new reality and I think we could use this season to drive a cultural change for the better in this regard. See season tickets as club memberships, right now there's not really much of a traditional season ticket to offer, so there needs to be some lateral thinking. They can encompass virtual season passes, which if all being well could actually be popular for some fans well after Covid, allowing them to connect to their club wherever they are. They can be used to connect fans on Social media or in their local area. Equally, membership encourages longer term buy in and increases the value of a supporter to a club. 

On a simple basis, making a season ticket a club membership, with virtual viewing rights, guarantees income for clubs regardless of the number of individual paid for streams. Clubs should be shouting from the rooftops about this as a concept rather than moaning that they won't make much money out of streaming.

As of October 2020, 15 current Championship and League 1 clubs (and not all heartland based), had over 2000 registered members on OuRLeague. Almost every club as far as I can tell had figures way beyond their usual attendance average. This is a prime audience to sell low commitment, high visibility memberships to and is a market clubs absolutely have to be looking to monetise. Imo the best way to do this would be to see a virtual season ticket not as a hinderance, but an opportunity.

Just to add to this, today's announcement should make clear that in the short term at least, an expat fan in Spain is as valuable financially to a club as a person who lives opposite the ground right now.

Hopefully they recognise and build on this in future (post covid) times

56 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57675/spring-streaming-bonanza-to-kick-off-the--season-

The 2021 Rugby League season will begin with a feast of Betfred Challenge Cup action next month as all eight First Round ties will be streamed across three platforms. 

And it will be a similar story when the Betfred Championship kicks off over the Easter weekend two weeks later, with all seven fixtures in the opening round available to watch through Our League, on both web & app - and now with the option to cast to TV to enjoy all the action on the big screen. 
<snip>

Other Rugby League fans – including supporters of the away club – will be able to secure the live coverage for an Early Bird price of £4.95, which increases to £10 on the day of the match. 

A Day Pass will cost £15 and secure live coverage of all fixtures on a given day (for example four Betfred Challenge Cup ties on Saturday March 20). 

A Weekend Pass will cost £20 and secure live coverage of all the matches being shown on Our League in a full round (for example five of the eight Betfred Challenge Cup ties on March 20-21, and all seven matches in Round One of the Betfred Championship from April 2-4). 

Really pleased to see this and will be happily spending my £4.95 to watch London's games.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

One cost that always gets overlooked in these fag packet calculations is customer service.

If even giants like Amazon, who power their own streaming services as well as the likes of Netflix, F1's streaming platform as well as a good proportion of ecommerce or app-based services through AWS, can struggle to supply live sport without hiccups, you can bet your bottom dollar that an app concoted by the RFL is probably going to need a bit of customer support behind it.  

My problem is Our League haven’t got a good track record.  

I would rather pay more for good quality than poor quality.  As much as I’m interested in RL, I have turned off a couple of the Elite 1 games for a poor picture even given their free on YouTube.

14 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ll try it for a weekend, but while I’m a tolerant man for the odd technical gremlin, at those kind of prices I will be making a judgement on production values and what I expect.

I think that will be the acid test. 

People will tollerate a lot when something is free. Once you start saying "this is worth £4.95 / £10", that's Disney+ / Netflix subscription price territory and people will expect the level of service to match. 

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I think that will be the acid test. 

People will tollerate a lot when something is free. Once you start saying "this is worth £4.95 / £10", that's Disney+ / Netflix subscription price territory and people will expect the level of service to match. 

*Especially* when there are reliable free streams out there of broadcast quality of other sports.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Other Rugby League fans – including supporters of the away club – will be able to secure the live coverage for an Early Bird price of £4.95, which increases to £10 on the day of the match. 

A Day Pass will cost £15 and secure live coverage of all fixtures on a given day (for example four Betfred Challenge Cup ties on Saturday March 20). 

A Weekend Pass will cost £20 and secure live coverage of all the matches being shown on Our League in a full round (for example five of the eight Betfred Challenge Cup ties on March 20-21, and all seven matches in Round One of the Betfred Championship from April 2-4). 

My only gripe with this is the doubling in price to £10 for a single game if you sign up on the day. £4.95 is a fair price to stream a game, I understand they want people to sign up in the week leading to games but the price on the day should only go up by £1 or £2, not double in price.

32 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

My only gripe with this is the doubling in price to £10 for a single game if you sign up on the day. £4.95 is a fair price to stream a game, I understand they want people to sign up in the week leading to games but the price on the day should only go up by £1 or £2, not double in price.

Agree with that. Should be £7.50 or so.

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As I posted earlier in the thread, £10 is the standard price for one camera coverage of EFL games, and a lot of the Scottish Premiership streams are significantly higher than that. 

I've seen National League football streams at @ £7. I think £5 in advance, £10 on the day is pitched well.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think the only folk who would sign up on the day at that price would be fans of the clubs involved who's plans have changed at the last minute. If you've already paid in advance to watch your team you should be able to watch other games at a reduced rate if you suddenly find yourself at a loose end. 

What will happen in future once crowds are allowed in?

Personally I think covid has done us a favour in forcing us to trial live streaming that should have been rolled out before with Sky's permission. On a PPV basis the revenue for each game could have been shared between Sky and the home and away clubs. How the money would be shared could be tweaked according to the results of the trial. You might find that in future years local derbies are not streamed  but games involving long or overseas travel are? 

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

according to FEV it's £495 early bird raising to £10 pound on the day 

£15 for a Day Pass to secure live coverage of all fixtures on a given day 

£20 for a  Weekend Pass to secure live coverage of all the matches being shown on Our League in a full round

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Agreed. If a day pass was £10 and weekend £15, you'd see more people go for a pass over a single match as a value proposition (and there'd be more revenue overall).

Yes , but that money would be split between more clubs 🤔

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

What will happen in future once crowds are allowed in?

Personally I think covid has done us a favour in forcing us to trial live streaming that should have been rolled out before with Sky's permission. On a PPV basis the revenue for each game could have been shared between Sky and the home and away clubs. How the money would be shared could be tweaked according to the results of the trial. You might find that in future years local derbies are not streamed  but games involving long or overseas travel are? 

Hopefully clubs will continue to offer "virtual season passes" for those unwilling (through feeling unsafe) or unable to attend matches in person.

Just now, Smudger06 said:

This price range seems massively unfair on season ticket holders. Think they are going to need a refund of the difference on the ticket and the cost of a random punter buying a view. 

If an early bird is £4.50 and it works out as £18 on a season ticket, holders are gonna need £13.50 back? 

On 19/02/2021 at 12:08, Tommygilf said:

Just to add to this, today's announcement should make clear that in the short term at least, an expat fan in Spain is as valuable financially to a club as a person who lives opposite the ground right now.

Hopefully they recognise and build on this in future (post covid) times

No, no, no.

You're wrong. Ask Gubrats.

Archived