Price to go

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Won’t announcing that your coach is leaving at the end of the season negatively harm the team?

Is it possible to stay highly motivated listening to someone on the way out?

If they want a change why not now rather than have a lame duck coach right from the start?

Clubs have gone on to have successful seasons knowing their coach is leaving at the end of the season,you’d have to question players professionalism if they use it as a crutch.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The logic is in most team sports the coach or manager who declares they are stopping is usually considered a lame duck.

This affects the motivation of players and I believe even the coach himself.

There are countless examples of it in other sports where it hasn’t worked.

I personally don't see why a player wouldn't still want to develop their skills, earn new contracts, win matches, win trophies just because a coach only has 1 year left on his contract.

I just don't buy your first line at all. And I say that as somebody who thinks that Price absolutely is a lame duck, but that is nowt to do with him leaving at the end of the year.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I personally don't see why a player wouldn't still want to develop their skills, earn new contracts, win matches, win trophies just because a coach only has 1 year left on his contract.

I just don't buy your first line at all. And I say that as somebody who thinks that Price absolutely is a lame duck, but that is nowt to do with him leaving at the end of the year.

I think the two things are connected like a piece of string.

I’ve personally seen this to be the case across many sports I’ve watched.

If you think it’s a fallacy then try reading comments from someone like Sir Alex Ferguson who has twice said that it had a major effect on his players and was a strategic mistake in terms of motivation.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

That's fine, its your opinion, but you offer no evidence that where clubs announce a coach will leave their results get worse.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve personally seen this to be the case across many sports I’ve watched.

If you think it’s a fallacy then try reading comments from someone like Sir Alex Ferguson who has twice said that it had a major effect on his players and was a strategic mistake in terms of motivation.

We could also look at the last two high profile examples in SL:

In May 2018, Wigan announced Wane would leave - they ended up Champions

In July 2019, Saints announced Holbrook would leave - they ended up Champions

Those players' performances didn't drop of a cliff.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m surprised you’re unfamiliar with this in team sports but hey ho.

If it is so obvious, it would be very easy to provide clear evidence. I have started by giving two examples.

Just now, Dave T said:

We could also look at the last two high profile examples in SL:

In May 2018, Wigan announced Wane would leave - they ended up Champions

In July 2019, Saints announced Holbrook would leave - they ended up Champions

Those players' performances didn't drop of a cliff.

In those examples when was the announcement made? 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

If it is so obvious, it would be very easy to provide clear evidence. I have started by giving two examples.

Are you saying in the history of all team sports you are unaware of any example where the prior announcement of a coach/manager leaving their position at the end of a season has not had a negative effect on their season?

Are you saying in the history of all team sports you are unaware of any example where the prior announcement of a coach/manager leaving their position at the end of a season has not had a negative effect on their season?

No, that isn't what I am saying at all. 

You are suggesting it is a standard thing that happens and you are surprised I don't know this. I have given two examples where announcements have been made about coaches leaving and they have gone on to win the title.

I suggest that some clubs have good seasons after these announcements, some clubs have poor seasons after these announcements, which suggests there is no conclusive evidence. 

It also shouldn't be ignored that there is often a reason a coach announces they are leaving. There is a good chance Wire may under-perform, but I don't think it'll be because of this announcement.

Neither were at the start of the season.

This is becoming very specific now though. You claim that performances drop off a cliff - why didn't Wigan and Saints players lose motivation working for Wane and Holbrook for those last few months?

But, happy to agree to disagree, without any evidence we are just discussing opinions and we will just keep stating our own.

No, that isn't what I am saying at all. 

You are suggesting it is a standard thing that happens and you are surprised I don't know this. I have given two examples where announcements have been made about coaches leaving and they have gone on to win the title.

I suggest that some clubs have good seasons after these announcements, some clubs have poor seasons after these announcements, which suggests there is no conclusive evidence. 

It also shouldn't be ignored that there is often a reason a coach announces they are leaving. There is a good chance Wire may under-perform, but I don't think it'll be because of this announcement.

We won’t really know until the season is played and then later the players are spoken to.

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the current environment means it is more likely that we will stick with him for the year and start afresh in 2022 in hopefully more positive times.

All Australian coaches have to leave to go back home eventually.  So why is this a nig deal.

Warrington fans are being silly if they are moaning at Price.  There is a salary cap... how are they going to get ahead of Saints Wigan Leeds Cas?  They've finished well, won the Cup...   Their chairman has signed some duds.   The club are responsible for youth or lack of it.  Unstead they have bought past it RU players and bought a past it NRL player.  And Gelling.

This is becoming very specific now though. You claim that performances drop off a cliff - why didn't Wigan and Saints players lose motivation working for Wane and Holbrook for those last few months?

But, happy to agree to disagree, without any evidence we are just discussing opinions and we will just keep stating our own.

Okay, I think there’s been some misinterpretation here.

My comments are logical because it has happened across many team sports in countless examples.

I haven’t invented the ‘lame duck’ concept it is a thing that long predates this argument.

If your argument is we cannot say definitely that it will be a factor in Wire’s upcoming season then I have to concede this.

It will be interesting to see what does transpire.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

All Australian coaches have to leave to go back home eventually.  So why is this a nig deal.

Warrington fans are being silly if they are moaning at Price.  Thete is a salary cap... how are they going to get ahead of Saints Wigan Leeds Cas?  They've finished well, won the Cup...   Their chairman has signed some duds.   The club are responsible for youth or lack of it.  Unstead they have bought past it RU players and bought a past it NRL player.

The squad is better than it is doing. The buck stops with the coach. 

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Okay, I think there’s been some misinterpretation here.

My comments are logical because it has happened across many team sports in countless examples.

I haven’t invented the ‘lame duck’ concept it is a thing that long predates this argument.

If your argument is we cannot say definitely that it will be a factor in Wire’s upcoming season then I have to concede this.

It will be interesting to see what does transpire.

Exactly, it can go one of two ways. Either the squad rallies to send the coach off on a high or, knowing that the coach is powerless over next years recruitment and squad selection, players who already have issues with him switch off entirely.

You tend to get the former only when the coach is well liked, successful, and crucially the players have had no involvement in his leaving.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The squad is better than it is doing. The buck stops with the coach. 

It is a moot point that the squad is that good.  I mean it is good, but is is as good as you and others claim it is?

Where is the production line of young talent tbat Wigan and Saints seem to have.  When did Wigan or Saints parachute in highly expensive Aussie half backs that were clearly not a good fit?  

Price may or may not be a good, bad or indifferent coach, but you cannot ignore the way players or lack of them have been brought into the team. 

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Warrington fans are being silly if they are moaning at Price.  There is a salary cap... how are they going to get ahead of Saints Wigan Leeds Cas?  They've finished well, won the Cup...   Their chairman has signed some duds.   The club are responsible for youth or lack of it.  Unstead they have bought past it RU players and bought a past it NRL player.  And Gelling.

I definitely agree that the club's recruitment has seemed a bit meh. Widdop has simply not made any impact in his first season, and perhaps most worryingly Burrell seems to have been recruited (for serious money) by the board despite the coach clearly having zero faith in the lad's ability.

That alone suggests a somewhat disjointed set up or at least a subpar scouting regime.

Archived