Rugby League Magazines

Eddie

17 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

What is RLW's unique selling point ?

As someone who has had the privilege of editing RLW in two (and a half) separate stints, I'd say the clue is in the title: Rugby League WORLD - it is a positive. forward looking, internationalist publication, which firmly believes Rugby League is a great sport and above all should be fun to watch, play and be involved with in any capacity, unrestricted by geography or mindset.

In that regard, you could say we are probably targeting the smallest niche of readers imaginable, given the actual RL world's penchant for inexplicable miserablism! 😄

Over the years, RLW has championed Rugby League developments in just about every country where it is currently played, and a few where it might be one day. I remember commissioning and publishing an in depth feature on the rise and fall of Rugby League in Russia for RLW, largely written and compiled by someone with direct experience of living in the country. That kind of thing you just would not get in any other RL publication, in my view. And definitely not for free on the internet!

RLW also championed the development of Women's Rugby League, well before any other title. We've been running regular features on it since my first stint as editor and my colleague Lorraine Marsden has built a strong reputation within that sector of the sport for the quality of the articles she produces.

It is hard work in the internet era, producing a quality monthly magazine, there's no denying that. Even more so in Rugby League, where money is always tight anyway, and you have to be doubly creative to deliver the kind of features that would normally cost ten or twenty times the budget we have available.

There's never any shortage of ideas - those are the easy things. Turning them into a quality feature takes time, skill and money, and sometimes you just have to be realistic about what you can do.

One of the reasons we suspended publication during the pandemic is because we didn't want to compromise the quality of the mag when there just wasn't going to be enough going on in the sport, especially in the two aforementioned areas that are our speciality, to justify 68 full colour pages every month, let alone the resources to deliver it or the sales to sustain it with lockdowns and uncertainty about when this will end.

When we bring RLW back, doubtless some things will be different about it, and we are always open to (realistic) suggestions from our readership!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A RL magazine subscription is one of my annual Christmas presents... 40/20 but its a present that lasts all year... low cost so it means the kids can still buy others... 

It goes with the Cholate Brazil nuts and a jigsaw... Christmas wouldn't be the same without those stocking fillers...

Archived