International RL Eligibility - Update

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

WRONG

Good strong argument that one! 😀Morning FiL.

I'm not sure which bit you're refering to but there is no commandment of "Thou shalt not answer a question with a query, thus sayeth the Lord!"

And the idea that players can miss out on internationals and World Cups on the say so of the feeling of a forum poster is laughable.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Good strong argument that one! 😀Morning FiL.

I'm not sure which bit you're refering to but there is no commandment of "Thou shalt not answer a question with a query, thus sayeth the Lord!"

And the idea that players can miss out on internationals and World Cups on the say so of the feeling of a forum poster is laughable.

The only laughable comments are coming from you.

Now meat pie time for me

It was an interesting point the idea that rules for grammar, syntax and spelling are somehow inviolable but the rules of international representation are rubbish and can be chucked if you don't like them.

I suppose when it doesn't affect you or any one you know it makes quite a difference to your attitude.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 18/02/2021 at 20:38, Tommygilf said:

I know its Union but this really does give some good context here - especially at the end

Thanks for this. Scotland Rugby Union have 15 players in their Six Nations squad born outside of Scotland, yet it’s not seen as an issue at all. I have no idea why some think playing a weak side of Scottish born players in the Rugby League World Cup will achieve anything, it’s results on the field that matter.

27 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Thanks for this. Scotland Rugby Union have 15 players in their Six Nations squad born outside of Scotland, yet it’s not seen as an issue at all. I have no idea why some think playing a weak side of Scottish born players in the Rugby League World Cup will achieve anything, it’s results on the field that matter.

It not seen as an issue because RU is played in Scotland, has professional teams and leagues of amateur and schools teams. Therefore when overseas players are selected it isn't just a case of a made up team for a World Cup, with players who only show an interest at World Cup time, playing a sport that no one plays and that no one can relate to. That is why it is no issue if other countries in RU do it, if Ireland do it at Football or England at Cricket as there is still a validity about those teams and the game is widely played in those countries.

I'm fairly ambivalent and for RL its a case of needs must. Let's not pretend though it is the same as other sports and make false comparisons. The closest comparison in RL terms to what happens in most of the examples cited from other sports would be someone like France using heritage players to boost their team. I never see France RL get criticised the same either as there is a validity to that team. Similar with Wales too. That is fundamentally different than what we see with Scotland.

^ as I said, many on here are happy to bury their heads in the sand and then bring up extreme examples (like saying we expect the whole team to be born in Scotland etc) in order to derail the discussion.

Just ONE Scottish accent in the 17 would be a huge start! But 26 years have passed and we are still not even close.to that happening, why,?

They are equally kidding themselves when they say things like "Lachlan Coote is just as proud a Scot as any local".

2 hours ago, langpark said:

^ as I said, many on here are happy to bury their heads in the sand and then bring up extreme examples (like saying we expect the whole team to be born in Scotland etc) in order to derail the discussion.

Just ONE Scottish accent in the 17 would be a huge start! But 26 years have passed and we are still not even close.to that happening, why,?

They are equally kidding themselves when they say things like "Lachlan Coote is just as proud a Scot as any local".

We have a Scottish born player. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Excellent, looks like he has had a decent career too!  Wiki states he played two games in RLWC 2013 which is great, did he play any in 2017?

I don't mean to be picky, but there is a reason I have been specifically mentioning the "World Cup", and not just "internationals".  Because, in a lot of international matches, countries are obliged to play some domestic players.  For example, Scotlands' last two WCQ matches vs Greece and Serbia, came under RLEF rules, which meant all teams needed a minimum of 2 domestic players in their matchday 17.  World Cup has no such rule, so there is no obligation for countries to field any domestically-produced players, which is where they often get shunned.

I am so happy Ronan Michael has emerged, he will be the first Irish domestic player to play in the World Cup (for Ireland) since....?  Have there been any?  I think Brian Carney played when it was still GB. 

10 minutes ago, langpark said:

Cheers. I cannot find much info about him, do you know where he grew up and/or played his first rugby?

Yes he moved to wigan as a youngster, played all his junior rugby thereplayed for Wigan, Warrington, Toronto. Had a decent world  cup in 2013 for Scotland think he scored in a famous victory over NZ if my memory serves me right. Historically Dave  valentine captained GB winning the WC. 

23 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Yes he moved to wigan as a youngster, played all his junior rugby thereplayed for Wigan, Warrington, Toronto. Had a decent world  cup in 2013 for Scotland think he scored in a famous victory over NZ if my memory serves me right. Historically Dave  valentine captained GB winning the WC. 

Cheers.  In that case, I am not 100% sure if he qualifies as a domestic player, despite being born there.  The essence of the rule is:  where you first learned to play (making you a product of the domestic system).

The detailed rules were on the IRL and RLEF websites but I just had a look now and cannot seem to find it one either one.

38 minutes ago, langpark said:

Cheers.  In that case, I am not 100% sure if he qualifies as a domestic player, despite being born there.  The essence of the rule is:  where you first learned to play (making you a product of the domestic system).

The detailed rules were on the IRL and RLEF websites but I just had a look now and cannot seem to find it one either one.

As a sport we cannot be too picky, as you will of read on here ru even with historical leagues use any excuse to bolster their squads with tenuous if not non existing ties. We have a few leagues of varying standards and lots of heritage players. As a game we have decide whether it is better to encourage new nations who are willing to grow the game domestically rathan rely totally on heritage. 

On 18/02/2021 at 06:10, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Our International eligibility rules are very similar to every other sport

Sorry, but that is absolutely not true, I know because I checked.  Basketball, handball and ice hockey are three world team sports which only have one standard for player eligibility for national teams: citizenship (called nationality by some federations), either by birth or naturalization.  No heritage players or non-citizen resident players allowed.

On 20/02/2021 at 13:41, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It's about money.

On 20/02/2021 at 13:41, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Good spot.

Grandparents is too far for me.

Archived