Who would you choose for SL coverage if you could  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you choose for SL coverage if you could

• SKY
    • BT Sport
    • Amazon
    • Other

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

A guy in Downham Market put it on for me Eddie.  

Do you live in Downham Market?

Actually I did walk into a pub in Wymondham a couple of years ago and a SL game was on, needless to say nobody was watching it though. 

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Being realistic and taking out the BBC option (Would never happen) there is only one SKY SPORTS 100% BT Sport for sponsorships is an extremely tough sell with SKY one also gets a fair amount of global coverage.

Is it Channel 5 that show some Guinness Premiership games? 

Getting some Super League games on free to air tv could happen. 

Who would you choose for SL coverage if you could:

The one that offers the most money and clearly states in the contract what their coverage & involvement will include. Any sport should have a sum & list of things that it wants a partner to provide.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

39 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Channel 5 show five live GP games a season. Channel 4 show 9 European matches including the final live.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Cuthbert from C5 was probably in the same house as Hugo from the RFU at school though. 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

A guy in Downham Market put it on for me Eddie.  

My grandparents lived in Downham Market. Small world.

Sky is a happy medium for me in providing finance for the game whilst still being popular enough for casual viewers to stumble across us and for pubs to have games on by default when it’s on main event. 

The presentation needs a bit of a reformatting but Sky are hardly alone in that. And of course our terrestrial offering could do with improving beyond Tanya’s graveyard shift. 

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sky, but exclusivity has to stop

would be interested to see the reasoning behind this? Exclusivity carries a premium which sky obviously currently pay for. I would hazard a guess that you would not get anywhere near what has currently been offered and its doubtful that any other broadcaster paying for a few games would make up the deficit. dangerous game going down that route

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sky, but exclusivity has to stop

I wouldn't mind keeping the exclusivity if the BBC highlights were more visible and the digital offer across all platforms was massively improved. Sky can do it for cricket so they can dang well do it for RL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, To Be Confirmed said:

would be interested to see the reasoning behind this? Exclusivity carries a premium which sky obviously currently pay for. I would hazard a guess that you would not get anywhere near what has currently been offered and its doubtful that any other broadcaster paying for a few games would make up the deficit. dangerous game going down that route

Sky currently get exclusive control of 6 super league fixtures a weekend and in normal times choose to broadcast only 2 with an extra 3rd on beamback from France every other week for free. All of these are effectively on Sky Sports 8 with a handful of games making it onto Main Event.

Like RL, Cricket has realised there is a long term cost associated with that exclusivity, as has RU - and both have now either got or planned to have games on FTA.

My proposal would be for them to keep things exactly how they are for Sky in terms of matches broadcast and preferential fixture selection, but for the rest of the games to be free to be broadcast by who ever. I'm not expecting 3 games a week on BBC1 but 1 a week with the other two on OuRLeague or another platform like the RedButton or YouTube. Sky might even want to broadcast those extra games.

This is all especially true if Sky are offering to pay LESS too

I would have to be free to air terrestrial coverage and ITV,C4 & Five make such a pigs ear of sport's coverage that means BBC, but it will never happen so out of the pay channels I can't see anyone but Sky being interested enough to bother.

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I wouldn't mind keeping the exclusivity if the BBC highlights were more visible and the digital offer across all platforms was massively improved. Sky can do it for cricket so they can dang well do it for RL.

They do it for F1 too. In an ideal world I'd have a Sunday afternoon BBC game followed/preceded by highlights 

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Being realistic and taking out the BBC option (Would never happen) there is only one SKY SPORTS 100% BT Sport for sponsorships is an extremely tough sell with SKY one also gets a fair amount of global coverage.

BT Sports is an extremely tough sell for sponsorships?  How did the RU Premiership land a title sponsorship worth 40 million £ for 4 years being on BT Sports then??

Archived