Academies (and the closure of Widnes’).

Eddie

52 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’d love to see the statistics on how many Super League and Championship have come from each academy. I am certain Leeds would come out on top, they produce more players than anyone else. Wigan would be 2nd and Saints 3rd. The rest of the game in the UK is far too reliant on those 3 clubs. 

Talking clap rap as normal. I can only speak for my own club but at present I believe we have as follows

Ashurst, and Hampshire, Wigan though Hampshire is from Wakefield.

Nobody from Saints or Leeds.

So stop lying.

We have 14 academy products and another four players who are from WMDC.

Thats 18 plus 6 quota players leaving 6 places for these hordes of ex Leeds player.

So Kev it’s another doh!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Definitely. But very hard to break the cycle, especially once the rules changed so bigger set ups can take your best players. 

They could do that anyway, young players either of their own volition or through advice would move to the "right" junior clubs.

47 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Talking clap rap as normal. I can only speak for my own club but at present I believe we have as follows

Ashurst, and Hampshire, Wigan though Hampshire is from Wakefield.

Nobody from Saints or Leeds.

So stop lying.

We have 14 academy products and another four players who are from WMDC.

Thats 18 plus 6 quota players leaving 6 places for these hordes of ex Leeds player.

So Kev it’s another doh!

That's a pretty dramatic turnaround though you'll have to admit there was a point in the last 10 years where there was at least 3 or 4 ex Leeds players at fellow Yorkshire clubs.

Like I said in my response to SKS, that's mostly as a direct result of the consistency of the Leeds team meaning many players simply hit a ceiling and had to move elsewhere for opportunities. Since 2016 there has been a far more fluidity in the Leeds squad, particularly from retirements, meaning far less players have been forced to look elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It should be rule of Super League that if you don't have an academy you don't get a Super League place. That would certainly focus some teams minds when it comes to junior development. 

That would have buggered up Toronto then 🤔

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not sure if I've had this conversation with you before , but , who decides who has an academy ?

That must be down to the the RFL, but Leigh and Salford have no real excuses for not running them seeing as they have had RL teams for over 100 years. London and Newcastle do, so Leigh and Salford have no real excuses for running them but i suspect their fans will come on here and defend their teams insular approach.

50 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

That must be down to the the RFL, but Leigh and Salford have no real excuses for not running them seeing as they have had RL teams for over 100 years. London and Newcastle do, so Leigh and Salford have no real excuses for running them but i suspect their fans will come on here and defend their teams insular approach.

So you're saying Leigh haven't ever ran an academy ? , Or have ever produced any players in our ' over 100 years ' ? 

Bottom line is you don't really know how the system works , do you ? 

Did you read my post at the top of the page ? 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So you're saying Leigh haven't ever ran an academy ? , Or have ever produced any players in our ' over 100 years ' ? 

Bottom line is you don't really know how the system works , do you ? 

Did you read my post at the top of the page ? 

I didn't say i did, but what i did say that seeing as Leigh and Salford have been playing the game for over 100 years they have no excuses for not having academies.

No academy = no super league place for me. If they can't afford to run academies that shouldn't be playing in Super League.

14 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I didn't say i did, but what i did say that seeing as Leigh and Salford have been playing the game for over 100 years they have no excuses for not having academies.

No academy = no super league place for me. If they can't afford to run academies that shouldn't be playing in Super League.

And if the RFL say , you can't run an academy ? 

3 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

London and Newcastle have player pools where they aren't really competing with the strongest SL clubs for the same players. The same does not hold for Leigh and Widnes, who are left having to sign the players not picked up by any of the SL clubs nearby.

Wasting your time , it's just ' black and white ' to him 

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

It's mental that people still don't understand the academy system in the UK despite numerous threads over the last year clearly explaining it.

We had as a guest former York player and current Wakefield Academy director Mark "Mash" Applegarth with us at one of the Harrogate Knights meetings. In the Q&A he was saying that although you can see talent in some players you are ultimately making a decision on them when they are 16 or 18 and at that age especially the forwards haven't bulked up or matured enough and he said it was a particular challenge as often you were sending players back to their amateur club telling them to prove him wrong, some would get through to championship/League 1 but even that can be a challenge given the competition and can also knock some for 6 being dropped. 

9 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

London and Newcastle have player pools where they aren't really competing with the strongest SL clubs for the same players. The same does not hold for Leigh and Widnes, who are left having to sign the players not picked up by any of the SL clubs nearby.

There is still no excuse as to why that clubs who have been playing Rugby League for over 100 years don't have academies

10 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Sorry but that is just an excuse for some clubs to hide behind.

Newcastle’s academy contains  lads who are not from the North East but they have got off their behinds,spent money and have gone looking for talent the same as other successful academies.

40 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

There is still no excuse as to why that clubs who have been playing Rugby League for over 100 years don't have academies

The awarding of academy licensing by the RFL is deeply flawed.

Saying that it is shocking that Salford don’t run one but a “promoted” club should be given time & a license to set up their academy.

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The awarding of academy licensing by the RFL is deeply flawed.

Saying that it is shocking that Salford don’t run one but a “promoted” club should be given time & a license to set up their academy.

In my opinion Championship clubs that have aspirations to play in Super League should be running academies.

How can long established Rugby League clubs playing in Super League not have an academy is beyond me. What are they actually bring bringing to Super League?

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

In my opinion Championship clubs that have aspirations to play in Super League should be running academies.

How can long established Rugby League clubs playing in Super League not have an academy is beyond me. What are they actually bring bringing to Super League?

Some Championship clubs wanted to run academies but were prevented from doing so by the RFL.

I don't see any contradiction in the following statements:

If you're in Super League you should run an academy.

Any club should be able to establish an academy if they wish (Cat 1 or Cat 3).

The RFL should direct funding to academies in strategic areas not covered by Super League.

The RFL spending money on second division heartland academies is a waste of resources unless they are specifically designated regional (outside the M62) academies using the club as a hub. IE, Widnes for Wales or Cumbria.

Archived