Fred Hall

higgy

Can anyone tell me if Fred Hall is still alive? Been looking at some old pictures and it brought back memories of him of how in our younger days we used to meet up in Alexandra Park at weekends, take over part of the big field and play a bunch of Italian lads at Football. Remember Fred was a good footballer.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot confirm one way or another, but I suggest that a bit more sensitivity would be wise, rather than assuming anything.

Yes, Fred was very badly injured in an accident, around 1985 and became confined to a wheelchair. He and his wife moved out of the area and Fred was in a care home for a while and still could be. However, when his son Martin, was still playing, his wife took him along to matches and I last saw them together, in Oldham about 4/5 years ago. Though communication was difficult, he still had a good sense of humour. 

After that, I don't know, but perhaps someone involved in the Oldham Rugby League Trust could help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that news Rob, we were great friends for years . Long story I chauffeured him from work after him and your Grandad got booked trying to push their car which had run out of fuel up West St near the Civic Centre.  LOL.

My sister Jean was also best friends with your mum Ann but lost touch some while ago, 

Dave  

Hi Rob. David has been in touch with me, Have you got an email address is so you can contact me at sheddings@hotmail.co.uk. 

Is your mam's name Ann and how is she? I am sure my sister Jean would love to get in touch with her I believe they were very good friends. Tell her it's Jean Else.

Regards

Dave

So a little bit of trivia - when I applied for a job as a student engineer at Ferranti back in 1977, I had been rejected by the likes of GEC & Plessey for being too old for their student programme. So I was convinced Ferranti would also reject me, so in the interview I was asked why I wanted to join Ferranti and I said because they had a works rugby league team and I wanted to play rugby league. My interviewer Clive Briggs sat up in his chair and said I am an Oldham and I know Fred Hall - so we talked about Swinton & Oldham (as I am a Swinton fan) for about 30mins - then I got the job offer a few days later.

So Fred was instrumental in me getting the job 🙂

Looking forward to the cup tie on Sunday.............

• 11 months later...

I am not a rugby fan...sorry.

However I am very interested in the pieces about Fred Hall. Did the father of the Fred Hall mentioned also play for Oldham and have some connection to Moston?

I ask because I have 2 old letters from a Fred Hall, rugby player, to my mother written at the beginning of the war and I wondered if he would like them if he is related. I have no family and as I am in my 70s they may end up in the bin, which would be a shame if he would like them.

On 04/03/2022 at 15:10, LadyM said:

However I am very interested in the pieces about Fred Hall. Did the father of the Fred Hall mentioned also play for Oldham and have some connection to Moston?

I ask because I have 2 old letters from a Fred Hall, rugby player, to my mother written at the beginning of the war and I wondered if he would like them if he is related. I have no family and as I am in my 70s they may end up in the bin, which would be a shame if he would like them.

Can anyone offer LadyM any assistance?

On 04/03/2022 at 15:10, LadyM said:

Hi

That's not my grandad as he didn't play for oldham.

On 19/02/2021 at 10:57, higgy said:

Can anyone tell me if Fred Hall is still alive? Been looking at some old pictures and it brought back memories of him of how in our younger days we used to meet up in Alexandra Park at weekends, take over part of the big field and play a bunch of Italian lads at Football. Remember Fred was a good footballer.

I think so, i recently saw a pic of him on his son Rob's Facebook page. I think celebrating Fred's birthday. 

Archived