Super League fixtures same weekend as England game

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is it not okay to say that the World Cup is important and  to highlight the issues with such a move in an already compact season?

Nothing to do with who I support. But as you ask, we’re well positioned because we have a highly functional academy. The problem I have is for the credibility for the league as a whole because while I support Saints, I’m a Rugby League fan too and want to see Super League do well.

We saw last year that players and coaches of some Super League clubs complained about the fixture turnaround, injuries, fatigue and player welfare in 2020. In an already congested season, in which we have a home World Cup and can’t really afford a poor display on home soil, this move just further solidifies the myth of player welfare. 

I am missing something here as to how this is a player welfare issue? No players are going to be playing extra games because of this. 

I'd love for us to have a stand alone international weekend but the current situation means we already have a shortend season so clearing a weekend of superleague fixtures would surely just mean extra midweek games, creating a potential player welfare issue.

Do you have an alternative suggestion as to how England can get a run out in this (hopefully) World Cup year?

6 minutes ago, verbatim said:

I am missing something here as to how this is a player welfare issue? No players are going to be playing extra games because of this. 

I'd love for us to have a stand alone international weekend but the current situation means we already have a shortend season so clearing a weekend of superleague fixtures would surely just mean extra midweek games, creating a potential player welfare issue.

Do you have an alternative suggestion as to how England can get a run out in this (hopefully) World Cup year?

It hasn't been unheard of for players to "back up" from representative games for their clubs in the same weekend. 

Whilst I'm sure that the clubs are happy to commit to playing the kids today, talk is cheap and if there is anything that rugby league clubs like more than anything else, it's things that are cheap. 

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

The fact we are in this situation is very much because of clubs and their greed and short-sightedness. If it wasn't for stupid loop fixtures this wouldn't even be an issue.

In a way, but of greed means wanting Sky to pay the full value of the contract so your club stays afloat, then the decision is understandable. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

In a way, but of greed means wanting Sky to pay the full value of the contract so your club stays afloat, then the decision is understandable. 

This isn't a new issue and loop fixtures aren't a new thing. There were also ways around this. I'm fairly certain that Sky don't insist on loop fixtures.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

This isn't a new issue and loop fixtures aren't a new thing. There were also ways around this. I'm fairly certain that Sky don't insist on loop fixtures.

No but (I think) they insist on a certain number of games in a season? Loop fixtures are woeful there’s no doubt about that, but without a 14 team league they’re probably unavoidable sadly. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Rugby League’s attitude summed up. 

How do you propose this situation could have been avoided then, given the following caveats;

SL need a certain number of fixtures to fulfil the Sky contract

England need a game before the WC

The season can’t be extended

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How do you propose this situation could have been avoided then, given the following caveats;

SL need a certain number of fixtures to fulfil the Sky contract

England need a game before the WC

The season can’t be extended

England play at the end of the season once the domestic season is done. Club rugby can’t be budged for TV/contractual reasons and shoehorning a game in is unnecessary during such a shortened season when you take into consideration the issues the game faced in 2020 with fixture turnaround, fatigue, injury, the physical impact the new rules had on play and the fact some clubs don’t have an Academy or have made use of the furlough scheme for a long period. 

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

If RL cannot stage an international game one weekend, that means a few players have to forego their club duties, without fear of meltdown, then it's in worse shape than I feared. 

There’s only one person melting down about it tbf. 

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

England play at the end of the season once the domestic season is done. Club rugby can’t be budged for TV/contractual reasons and shoehorning a game in is unnecessary during such a shortened season when you take into consideration the issues the game faced in 2020 with fixture turnaround, fatigue, injury, the physical impact the new rules had on play and the fact some clubs don’t have an Academy or have made use of the furlough scheme for a long period. 

The World Cup starts on 23rd October, just two weeks after the GF. Surely the players could do with a fortnight rest before the comp starts (considering a lot of them will have played for Wigan or Saints in the final, or come back from the NRL). 

26 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

If RL cannot stage an international game one weekend, that means a few players have to forego their club duties, without fear of meltdown, then it's in worse shape than I feared. 

It’s not an International game, its an exhibition match. England won’t be at full strength without their NRL players and possibly without some Super League players and the Exiles are not a country.

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The World Cup starts on 23rd October, just two weeks after the GF. Surely the players could do with a fortnight rest before the comp starts (considering a lot of them will have played for Wigan or Saints in the final, or come back from the NRL). 

The NRL ends in September and produces 5+ of an England side. There’s more than enough players available to play then but we must attempt to justify Shaun Wane’s full time wage so we’ll shoehorn one in in June instead. 

4 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-fixtures-played-over-5014851.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Couple of weeks out from the Cup Final, too, in an already heavily congested season. Lunacy. Sincerely hope Saints pull our players out of this. 

I sincerely hope it's Wakefield's turn to play in this years sacrificial game. 🙂

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

25 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The NRL ends in September and produces 5+ of an England side. There’s more than enough players available to play then but we must attempt to justify Shaun Wane’s full time wage so we’ll shoehorn one in in June instead. 

I don’t think one tin pot game against the Exiles will justify having a full time manager for two years. Still gutted about the Ashes series. 

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is it not okay to say that the World Cup is important and  to highlight the issues with such a move in an already compact season?

Nothing to do with who I support. But as you ask, we’re well positioned because we have a highly functional academy. The problem I have is for the credibility for the league as a whole because while I support Saints, I’m a Rugby League fan too and want to see Super League do well.

We saw last year that players and coaches of some Super League clubs complained about the fixture turnaround, injuries, fatigue and player welfare in 2020. In an already congested season, in which we have a home World Cup and can’t really afford a poor display on home soil, this move just further solidifies the myth of player welfare. 

The season should have been truncated, in part to allow England to play a game.  However given that England need a practice game, this does not make any difference to players being over played if if SL play at the same time.

You will have to forgive me being over droll about Saints' excellent strength in depth.

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don't see what the problem is. A player can't play two games at the same time so if they play for England while a youngster/fringe player gets  chance in the first team for a weekend then all good. If the England game were not there, then the player would play for their club anyway so there is no extra workload.

It shows that we may be actually seeing the value of England to the overall sport. I won't hold my breath but it is a start.

Other sports do it

No reason why can't. We should

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

Most of the England squad won’t be playing in the Grand Final. 

Archived