15 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Eddie , i will float that idea with Colin and the Dorcol TIgers board.

I think there should be , i am a collector of RL jerseys and would love to add a few from these clubs.

My team are the Dorcol Tigers. 

The names of Partizan and Red Star i cant stand ( due to their communist founding's ) 

Incorrect use of apostrophes is unpatriotic, comrade!

Edited by thebrewxi

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

Picking up on someone’s grammar is a bit unnecessary imho. 

I was desperately looking for the intentional grammatical slip in your post. I'm hoping there wasn't one there 🙂

Edited by thebrewxi

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Serbian season kicks off tomorrow, with, you guessed it:  Red Star vs Partizan.  They do seem to play each other an awful lot.  I can honestly say I have no idea what their league structure is anymore.

I've tried to find this out multiple times, and asked repeatedly. I cant find a league table, or even know how many teams are in the top division. 

23 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I've tried to find this out multiple times, and asked repeatedly. I cant find a league table, or even know how many teams are in the top division. 

I since saw a tweet from Serbian RL saying that Dorcol Tigers vs Radnicki Nis was also scheduled for tomorrow, but is now postponed after a player tested positive for covid-19.  So I suppose, what I said earlier, 5 teams (Novi Belgrade being the 5th) is the format.  But I still get the feeling they do not play an even number of matches.  Probably to minimise the amount of floggings from the big two, and maybe also to reduce the amount of trips Nis has to make up to Belgrade.  I could be wrong though, hopefully they start publishing points table etc. once the season gets going.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 05:08, langpark said:

Serbian season kicks off tomorrow, with, you guessed it:  Red Star vs Partizan.  They do seem to play each other an awful lot.  I can honestly say I have no idea what their league structure is anymore.

Yes i agree . 

Will found out and let you all know ....

12 hours ago, langpark said:

So it looks like they have gone with 6 teams in the first division this year, including a team from Montenegro! 

https://twitter.com/SerbianRL/status/1371489771688706055?s=20

Yes thats correct.  I have bee. In touch with Colin , he confirms its 6 teams.  

I have requested from him more info on the other teams and the comp in general. 

Up the Dorcol Tigers ! 

On 16/03/2021 at 06:23, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Yes thats correct.  I have bee. In touch with Colin , he confirms its 6 teams.  

I have requested from him more info on the other teams and the comp in general. 

Up the Dorcol Tigers ! 

This looks like a decent website, though it’s all in Serbian (which I assume you’ll understand DDG!). Odd that some articles are in Cyrillic letters and others in Latin. 

https://ragbiliga.rs

Edited by Eddie

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

This looks like a decent website, though it’s all in Serbian (which I assume you’ll understand DDG!). Odd that some articles are in Cyrillic letters and others in Latin. 

https://ragbiliga.rs

Serbia operates with two alphabets .

As a kid i was taught both growing up here in Melbourne @ language school. 

its a decent website , but it can be better.  

Edited by Deranged Drunk Guy
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Serbia operates with two alphabets .

As a kid i was taught both growing up here in Melbourne @ language school.  

All the Eastern European languages seem to have an aversion to vowels.

How accurate is the media`s pronunciation of Trbojevic?

Edited by unapologetic pedant

2 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Its actually spot on . 

I think all the ex-Yugoslavian migration to Aus has helped. I know for sure that a generation ago, most Aussies looking at that would have pronounced it very differently. Nowadays, everyone it seems, is aware that the 'j' makes a 'y' sound and the 'c' is a 'ch' sound. 

2 hours ago, langpark said:

I think all the ex-Yugoslavian migration to Aus has helped. I know for sure that a generation ago, most Aussies looking at that would have pronounced it very differently. Nowadays, everyone it seems, is aware that the 'j' makes a 'y' sound and the 'c' is a 'ch' sound. 

Americans were always a bit random with their Eastern European pronunciations. It`s satirized in a "Not the Nine O` Clock News" sketch where Mel Smith plays a U.S. official introducing Polish trade union leader Lech Walesa as "Leech Wollissa".

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 15:32, unapologetic pedant said:

Americans were always a bit random with their Eastern European pronunciations. It`s satirized in a "Not the Nine O` Clock News" sketch where Mel Smith plays a U.S. official introducing Polish trade union leader Lech Walesa as "Leech Wollissa".

To be fair British people are generally woeful at pronouncing Eastern European names too, why wouldn’t they be, there’s no reason why anyone here would know that for example, a Polish L with a line through it is pronounced W. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

To be fair British people are generally woeful at pronouncing Eastern European names too, why wouldn’t they be, there’s no reason why anyone here would know that for example, a Polish L with a line through it is pronounced W. 

When Lech Walesa was in the headlines, we had Angela Rippon to guide us.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to watch Montenegro v Nis yesterday in my home town of Tivat!! The lads in this region prefere League over Union ; ive been blue in the face telling them that they are better suited to league! 2 or 3 good players ; one especially good and would be a decent semi pro

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Went to watch Montenegro v Nis yesterday in my home town of Tivat!! The lads in this region prefere League over Union ; ive been blue in the face telling them that they are better suited to league! 2 or 3 good players ; one especially good and would be a decent semi pro

Fantastic!! How old is he do you know? Perhaps its not too late for him to have a shot in the UK. 

30 minutes ago, langpark said:

Fantastic!! How old is he do you know? Perhaps its not too late for him to have a shot in the UK. 

Will try find out , hes an all action ball  play playing running tackling machine 13

Edited by iangidds
  • Like 2