59 minutes ago, JonM said:

62-12 win in Serbia for the Bulgarian team, not sure if they've won a game previously?

I think you are right. First win, well done to them!

Nit sure why they are persisting with BSL though. They have not announced anything and I assume Bulgaria and the Montenegro team are probably the only non-Serbian teams involved. Once the pandemic is over, this competition will hopefully rebuild again.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bulgaria played Serbia in an international at the weekend in Sofia, finishing 16-28, although Bulgaria were ahead 16-14 shortly after half time. Further games to come for Serbia - against Montenegro and Albania.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JonM said:

Bulgaria played Serbia in an international at the weekend in Sofia, finishing 16-28, although Bulgaria were ahead 16-14 shortly after half time. Further games to come for Serbia - against Montenegro and Albania.

Fantastic. Is Bulgaria classed as a Balkan nation?

also is their any RL activity in Croatia?

29 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Fantastic. Is Bulgaria classed as a Balkan nation?

also is their any RL activity in Croatia?

Yes, Bulgaria is entirely within the Balkan peninsula. The opposition was billed as Serbia u-21s in Sofia, which explains the relatively close score.

Nothing in Croatia. They could put together a very strong team of Aussie heritage players though, I'm sure.

Looks like there's some nice work going on to spread RL to neighbouring countries in southern, central and eastern europe. Albania's RC Tirana are going to play in the Greek league this year, Covid permitting. Ukraine have done some development work in Belarus, and the Czechs are trying to get things started in Slovakia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 22/06/2021 at 11:33, JonM said:

Yes, Bulgaria is entirely within the Balkan peninsula. The opposition was billed as Serbia u-21s in Sofia, which explains the relatively close score.

Nothing in Croatia. They could put together a very strong team of Aussie heritage players though, I'm sure.

Looks like there's some nice work going on to spread RL to neighbouring countries in southern, central and eastern europe. Albania's RC Tirana are going to play in the Greek league this year, Covid permitting. Ukraine have done some development work in Belarus, and the Czechs are trying to get things started in Slovakia.

Thank you very much for this interesting news. Please keep us informed, (as you become aware of further developments)?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/01/2022 at 00:14, Futtocks said:

Huge news . 

Will be a huge boost to RL in Srb. 

Need to work even harder on marketing the game now 

FYI Serbian League has 8 clubs this season. 

Does anyone know how much the second division has? 

Why doesn't the RFL really give RL a boost in Serbia , and take a Super League game to the Marakana in Belgrade ?

Free entry for under 18's.

I guarantee it would be a packed house. 

I think it would transform the sport in Serbia. 

Can't we fans do a petition and send this to the RFL? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

FYI Serbian League has 8 clubs this season. 

Does anyone know how much the second division has? 

I believe it is 8 clubs including 2nd division. Something like this:

1st div: Red Star, Partizan, Dorcol Tigers, Radnicki Nis.

2nd: Zemun, Gepardi, Novi Beograd... Not sure of the last team, maybe Car Dusan. 

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I´d love to believe this but even I´m not sure it would sell out. Still, might be worth getting on the phone to the (Serbian) gov and  take a game in July were they to back it. 

I have seen some pie in the sky stuff over the years. But this is right up there with some of the best.

In 20 years, Serbian RLs biggest crowd has been about 500 for a national team game, with free admission. 

So the idea the Salford vs Wakefield will SELL out a 53,000 seat stadium, (which he "guarantees" will happen) is just hilarious. 

• Like 1

On 01/04/2022 at 07:02, langpark said:

I have seen some pie in the sky stuff over the years. But this is right up there with some of the best.

In 20 years, Serbian RLs biggest crowd has been about 500 for a national team game, with free admission. 

So the idea the Salford vs Wakefield will SELL out a 53,000 seat stadium, (which he "guarantees" will happen) is just hilarious. 

Disagree with you . 

The Srb NT are amateurs , what relevance are the NT crowd figures ? 

Your comparing the Srb NT  who are amateurs, to two professional super league clubs , in terms of crowd appeal ? 

That's like saying why would Barcelona FC get 50,000 when , Blyth and Spartan only get 800 crowd per game  . 

Didn't Catalans dragons take a game to Barcelona and get 32,000 a few years ago. 

Serbians love their sport , they are crazy for it ,  and if this was marketed well , why would there not be a crowd of 20,000 ? At least. 

Having spoken to a lot of Serbs in Serbia , they value RL athletes as some of the best athletes going around.  

Not to mention this would encourage Serbs to pick an English club to follow . 

Hull FC have similar colours to partizan Belgrade FC , why wdnt their fans pick them. 

RFL clubs do the bare minimum to encourage new international support. 

Kudos to the English clubs like Bedford tigers and English folk for helping RL in Serbia , not only are they helping grow the greatest thing on earth in RL. 

But they are mending a rhsip , that was destroyed in 1999 , the perception of anything English or British even in 2011 , talking to local serbs , was meet with venom and disgust.  

I recall ppl telling me they threw away all of their English football jerseys and never followed the sport again.

Kudos to Bedford and many others , maybe unbeknown to them , they are mending and creating harmony , between these two people. 

Bringing super league to Serbia , would also go a long way in been an olive branch. 

I'm not asking for an entire season to be played in Serbia LOL , Just the one game . 

But " apparently " that's Pie in the sky stuff.  

If Huddersfield Giants get an AVG Crowd of 5,000 , what have they got to lose in bringing a game to the Marakana in Belgrade ? 

Where due to the sport been a novelty in terms of pro games , would bring a walk in crowd of more then 10 thousand . 

Edited by Deranged Drunk Guy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/04/2022 at 07:02, langpark said:

Yes langpark just laugh at people.  

Your opinion is always stone cold fact . In your role as self appointed expert on all Balkans matters.  

Edited by Deranged Drunk Guy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Yes langpark just laugh at people.  

Your opinion is always stone cold fact . In your role as self appointed expert on all Balkans matters.  

I hope one day your idea will be put to the test and I hope that you will be proven right and I will look like a fool.

I will be over the moon if they achieve even 10% of what you say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Three simple suggestions for improving RL in Serbia...

1) Each year or two invite a dozen or so coaches over to the UK for a week to further their RL education. Send each to a pro club to work and learn and have group sessions with RFL coaches.

2) Invite the Serbian national team over every year or two, again for a week, and play a couple of games against the likes of Cumbria, Army, Dragonhearts etc. And for the duration have them working with experienced club and RFL coaches.

3) Each summer for a month bring twenty youth players of the same age group (U16 or U18) over. House them with grassroots clubs (I'm sure plenty would volunteer to take a couple), and have them involved with their age group side. At the end bring them together for a rep fixture.

Yes ... there's an expense, but it could be relatively modest, particularly if the sport utilises volunteer hosts.

Food for thought?

Edited by Number 16
  • Like 1

On 29/03/2022 at 11:19, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Why doesn't the RFL really give RL a boost in Serbia , and take a Super League game to the Marakana in Belgrade ?

Free entry for under 18's.

I guarantee it would be a packed house. 

I think it would transform the sport in Serbia. 

Can't we fans do a petition and send this to the RFL? 

As Red Star Belgrade nowhere near sell out the Marakana, even for big matches, why do you think two unknown foreign teams playing an unknown sport would sell out? 

If you get a petition to the RFL going though, I’ll sign it. 

• Like 1

On 01/04/2022 at 19:19, JonM said:

Looks like they're just playing as an eight team league

https://ragbiligesrbije.rs/

Heroj Poleti are the 8th team.

Touch tournament featuring mens, womens and mixed teams scheduled for this month.

It seems Heroj Poleti and Red Star are in fact one in the same: 

https://www.facebook.com/114955005196655/posts/8053161401375936/