19 hours ago, iangidds said:

34, he is going to France elite 2 apparentley; i could imagine hes got 2 years in him. He can honestly do the lot

That would be great, he could gain some experience over there then hopefully continue at home as a player/coach in the future...

Montenegro looks very close to Albania, it would be nice to see them link up at some point.  Because the 1000km round-trips to Belgrade and Nis will eventually take their toll.  It's a nice temporary solution, but not really feasible long-term.

Two Montenegro and two Albania teams in their own division would be great.  Less travel costs and I imagine they are of a similar standard too.

As I've asked this question lots over the last few months, and have finally found the answer, thought I'd update. The chap that owns red star was on a chat on facebook and he explained how the league structure works.

Basically it's just the 6 clubs in the top division playing each other at the moment: red star, partizan, dorcol, nis, new Belgrade and Souths.

Once they've played each other the bottom two teams effectively get relegated to division 2 for the second half of the season, and are joined by a stack of other teams currently only playing friendlies and in the serbian cup. The top 4 play each other again for the first division championship in the second half of the season too.

I guess this means new belgrade, nis and souths will be fighting it out to stay in the top 4. I hope I got this down right. I'm not sure how the 2nd division highlights in one of the posts above works, I guess this is a cup (kupa) game - the red star guy specifically said it was just the 6 playing league. He also said red star were unlikely to take part in the Balkan cup this year - so another Balkan cup win for Partizan I guess.

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On the Facebook chat today Colin Kleyweg was suggesting Red Star and Partizan were on a par with the bottom end of League 1 and all of Elite 1.

He did admit that over a full season they would fall off the pace as they are only used to 5 or 6 intense games a year (when they play each other). I dont buy this at all, but interesting discussion about what level the Serbian big two are currently playing at. 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

On the Facebook chat today Colin Kleyweg was suggesting Red Star and Partizan were on a par with the bottom end of League 1 and all of Elite 1.

He did admit that over a full season they would fall off the pace as they are only used to 5 or 6 intense games a year (when they play each other). I dont buy this at all, but interesting discussion about what level the Serbian big two are currently playing at. 

I disagree too, for starters because the best Elite 1 sides are better than the bottom of League 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

Oh dear, he didn't actually say that, did he?  This is just wrong on so many levels, I'm not even going to go into it.  

12 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

They must have improved massively since they played Millom then. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They must have improved massively since they played Millom then. 

In a game played at Millom, I think it would a surprise if Millom didn't beat teams in the bottom end of League 1.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

51 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

In a game played at Millom, I think it would a surprise if Millom didn't beat teams in the bottom end of League 1.

West Wales etc yes, but I doubt they’d be within 30 points of Barrow or Donny. And as for the top Elite 1 sides, saying RSB are near them in standard is barmy. 

The current Red Star team is weaker than the one that took on Millom two years ago.  In that team, they had experienced Aussie Darcy Etrich (who scored their opening try) and American national team duo Brandon Anderson and Jamil Robinson.  Plus, they had been coached for 3 months by Phil Economidis in the period leading up to the game.

Red Star are a real shining light and should be proud of everything they have achieved.  But to compare them even to West Wales Raiders or any Elite 1 team is just ludicrous and does nobody any favours, especially in this day and age when there is plenty of video footage out there for all to see.

On 10/04/2021 at 21:50, thebrewxi said:

As I've asked this question lots over the last few months, and have finally found the answer, thought I'd update. The chap that owns red star was on a chat on facebook and he explained how the league structure works.

Basically it's just the 6 clubs in the top division playing each other at the moment: red star, partizan, dorcol, nis, new Belgrade and Souths.

Once they've played each other the bottom two teams effectively get relegated to division 2 for the second half of the season, and are joined by a stack of other teams currently only playing friendlies and in the serbian cup. The top 4 play each other again for the first division championship in the second half of the season too.

I guess this means new belgrade, nis and souths will be fighting it out to stay in the top 4. I hope I got this down right. I'm not sure how the 2nd division highlights in one of the posts above works, I guess this is a cup (kupa) game - the red star guy specifically said it was just the 6 playing league. He also said red star were unlikely to take part in the Balkan cup this year - so another Balkan cup win for Partizan I guess.

Sounds like a smart approach as they have to work with what they've got (two dominant teams, then a big drop in standard).

I am impressed that the Montenego team has played about 3 games in 4 weeks.  I don't think they had even played 3 games in the last 3 years, so this could be a real turning point for them in their development.  They have had two home games and an away match.  For the away match (500km trip each way), I read that they had only 12 men against Dorcol Tigers and a few of them got injured and did not finish the match.  So that is quite concerning and could effect their morale.  Since they have two more fixtures left, I hope they are both home matches, because I cannot see them being able to make another long trip like that this season.

Regarding Balkan SL, I think the idea is being shelved for a few seasons now as only Serbian teams were willing to participate.  That will hopefully change in a few years once neighbouring countries like Greece and Turkey return to normal and get a season or two of matches under their belts.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, langpark said:

I fear a potential cricket score here. They played 3 weeks ago down in Nis and Partizan won 60-6. Today they have home ground advantage, so I expect an even bigger scoreline, but I hope I am wrong. 

• Like 2

I hope these inevitable poundings from Red Star and Partizan aren’t putting other teams off, it must be demoralising at times. 

Also Partizan’s jersey would be so much better if (like Red Star’s) it was based on the football jersey, which is iconic. 

• 3 weeks later...