NRL Commentary

Looks like Fox Sports has still got the old guard doing commentary with Voss, Ennis and Alexander tonight. Meanwhile there's a Change.org petition for Nine to sign Andy Raymond which I think would be a massive winner, especially after how he got treated by Fox.

Who would you like to see calling this year?

On 20/02/2021 at 09:31, Terrils said:

Looks like Fox Sports has still got the old guard doing commentary with Voss, Ennis and Alexander tonight. Meanwhile there's a Change.org petition for Nine to sign Andy Raymond which I think would be a massive winner, especially after how he got treated by Fox.

Who would you like to see calling this year?

Old guard? Ennis has been doing punditry for less than five years.

I have heard Ray Warren's commentary/professional curmudgeon act and I prefer Andrew Voss.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Old guard? Ennis has been doing punditry for less than five years.

I have heard Ray Warren's commentary/professional curmudgeon act and I prefer Andrew Voss.

I prefer Vossy as I said. To be fair to Warren I would say I heard him most when I first watched NRL through a previous supplier who used more Ch 9. I used to enjoy the banter etc.

Now though, I'm sorry to say he’s lost his edge. He’s not what he was. He makes mistakes he would not have made when he was younger.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

I prefer Vossy as I said. To be fair to Warren I would say I heard him most when I first watched NRL through a previous supplier who used more Ch 9. I used to enjoy the banter etc.

Now though, I'm sorry to say he’s lost his edge. He’s not what he was. He makes mistakes he would not have made when he was younger.

It seems to be a sports TV thing, keeping familiar voices on air when they are past their best - Eddie Waring and Ray French come to mind in RL, but our sport is not alone. I'm thinking of John Motson in Football, for instance.

Warren's still a reasonable commentator much of the time, but he's not what he was.

All three are big pairs of shoes to fill, just because they did it for so long.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

TV is always cited as such a cut throat, ratings obsessed business yet when it comes to sport's commentator's they seem to be allowed to continue until they are well past their best. In Warren's book he seems to have been dreading being asked to stand down for the past 10 year's and frightful that his hatred of flying would mitigate against him. He's well into his 70s so retirement would be the normal course except their love of the limelight and vanity is all encompassing, let's call it Trumpology, whatever fresh blood is needed soon.

So, Voss commentating and Peter Stirling for half time analysis.

I like Warren Smith who is probably second for me. He’s maybe a tad too erm... looking for a word, not slick... smooth... no this doesn’t sound fair. He’s very professional and comes straight after Vossy for me.

Ennis was a surprise for me. I was never a fan of his as a player, but as a sidekick or panellist he comes over well. He’s a clear thinker and confident with it.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

So, Voss commentating and Peter Stirling for half time analysis.

I like Warren Smith who is probably second for me. He’s maybe a tad too erm... looking for a word, not slick... smooth... no this doesn’t sound fair. He’s very professional and comes straight after Vossy for me.

Ennis was a surprise for me. I was never a fan of his as a player, but as a sidekick or panellist he comes over well. He’s a clear thinker and confident with it.

I like Warren Smith until he says ‘ the kick is too big ‘ . I mean really ...

5 hours ago, Graham said:

I'm with you on Ennis. A real find.

Mind you, he was never short of an opinion while playing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Nearenough said:

andy (he strikes it, he likes it) moore from abc is by far the best rl commentator

You could even say Andy ' game, set, BINGO ! " Moore.

Great caller, absolutely passionate about the game which comes through in his call, would like to see him be a bit tougher in his interviewing style, too often just blowing smoke up the interviewee`s backside though.

Ryan and Morrow where by far the best at doing interviews, NRL bosses, club bosses, coaches, no one was spared the hard questions on any topic, be it club finances, future plans, player behaviour, game plans etc. etc. no topic was off limits and no one`s feeling were spared. I use to love it, it`s how you really learn what is going on in the game.

Archived