Dominic Young - Newcastle Knights

Just now, Futtocks said:

On the other hand, if the opposition have a talented but inexperienced centre facing him, Bateman will mess his game and his mind up.

Sorry Australia could put up many a centre where that wouldn't be the case. Bateman is as average as they come at centre, even at club level he is average.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The storm said:

Dean whare to catalans

Now he is the type of centre I like. 

Hard as nails and will tackle anything that moves. The likes of gildart and percival need that menace about them. Both Gildart and Percivsl are stylish centres but Wardle, young, senior brothers and Farnworth and big beasts. 

Warrington have just promoted another 6 foot 5 inch centre to their 1st team squad as well... Nathan Roebuck 

So some very big players coming through

I was a fan of Whare as well, lacked a bit of size but he made things happen, didn`t mind Lafai as well, Kiwi`s produce so many great attacking centres because they have that size and mobility, not to mention aggressive, Clinton Toopi was always a favourite of mine, always loved the story about him getting in a fight with one of his Kiwis teammates and a prop, can`t remember which one but know he was a lot bigger than Toopi in a bar after a Test match. That`s the spirit.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

Sorry Australia could put up many a centre where that wouldn't be the case. Bateman is as average as they come at centre, even at club level he is average.

And that's why he's had zero impact in the NRL. Apart from the impact he's had, obviously.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Damien said:

We are talking about him at centre. He hasn't had that impact at centre in the NRL, you do realise that don't you? 

Yes, I agree it isn't his best position. But he's an in-your-face disruptor and, while he hasn't been a passer of the ball at international level before, he has been at club level. And the current England coach was his club coach.

He lacks the pace of the best centres, but he can certainly #### up an opposing player's game, just by being in their face and nasty for the full 80 minutes.

I agree that centre isn't his idea position, but he can cause mayhem wherever he goes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, I agree it isn't his best position. But he's an in-your-face disruptor and, while he hasn't been a passer of the ball at international level before, he has been at club level. And the current England coach was his club coach.

He lacks the pace of the best centres, but he can certainly #### up an opposing player's game, just by being in their face and nasty for the full 80 minutes.

I agree that centre isn't his idea position, but he can cause mayhem wherever he goes.

I disagree and I have never seen anything of him at centre to think that. Even when he played at centre at Wigan I have never thought that. We'll have to just agree to disagree.

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

So you’d move one of our few world class players into a position he’s bang average at,not very bright.

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Only Watkins is really International class from that list and he’s never really recovered from a very bad injury. Hopefully Young, Newman and Farnworth can be in the same category as Watkins.

Watkins hasn’t been international class for over 3 years,time to move on and give these young talented lads their chance.

24 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So you’d move one of our few world class players into a position he’s bang average at,not very bright.

I didn't say that. But if he played centre (and I agree that he shouldn't), with the fluid nature of Rugby League backs, he'd have an effect.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

30 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I didn't say that. But if he played centre (and I agree that he shouldn't), with the fluid nature of Rugby League backs, he'd have an effect.

An effect yes but not as big an effect as picking a player with natural attacking threat as a centre and letting Bateman play back row where he is as good as any in the world.

1 minute ago, arcticchris said:

An effect yes but not as big an effect as picking a player with natural attacking threat as a centre and letting Bateman play back row where he is as good as any in the world.

Again, I agree. But representative selection sometimes means putting someone in a wrong but not completely unfamiliar position. Look at the number of fullbacks who have turned out as wingers or centres for the Kangaroos.

And if Wane plays Bateman at centre, and Bateman smashes the snot out of his oppo, while applying the kind of forearm follow-through we all hate unless it happens to a Kangaroo, we'll all be very happy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Again, I agree. But representative selection sometimes means putting someone in a wrong but not completely unfamiliar position. Look at the number of fullbacks who have turned out as wingers or centres for the Kangaroos.

And if Wane plays Bateman at centre, and Bateman smashes the snot out of his oppo, while applying the kind of forearm follow-through we all hate unless it happens to a Kangaroo, we'll all be very happy.

Except that all those fullbacks that Australia pick can actually catch and pass. 

Bateman struggles in this aspect - he has a good offload, but his catch and pass isn't amazing. 

He can do a "job" at centre, but we shouldn't even be talking about him at centre, all he does is nullify the attack on that side of the field, as people have already said. It's all well and good him getting in the face of his opposite centre, but he can do that at SR, as he'll be most likely tackling that centre anyway. 

His one-on-one defense also isn't great, and I think he can get found out very easily by an elusive centre playing opposite him, which is exactly what will be playing opposite him in the WC.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I personally hate Bateman playing centre 

He lacks the glitz and glamour of a world class centre but every top class team needs a John Bateman in the pack. 

It may sound surprising, but with Bateman I've never rated him in the same league as Paul Sculthorpe, Adrian Morley, Jamie peacock , Andy farrell, James Graham etc, but a resilient and dedicated player he is. 

Wakefield have a big 6’5” natural athlete and quality centre called Oliver Greensmith coming through their ranks. He’s a very good player and certainly has the nuanced skills required to be a very good outside back but needs to be exposed to the higher level NOW if he’s going to fulfil his potential. Unfortunately Chester doesn’t seem to favour him and the lads progress has been a bit stifled by lack of games.

3 hours ago, Southerner said:

I’m not sure any of those mentioned are in the same class as their Aussie counterparts.

Who are the Aussie counterparts at centre?

Look at last years State of Origin.  In the first two games the centres were Clint Gutherson and Jack Wighton for NSW who proved that centre was not their natural position and Queensland it was Dane Gagai, who normally starts on the wing for Souths, and Kurt Capewell who is an edge/utility for his club.  When Capewell moved into the pack for SOO 3 then Queensland brought in Brenko Lee which pretty much shows that the talent at centre is very much at a low ebb in Australia.  There is no way in the world that Lee would have been considered SOO quality in previous years.

Now, there are some very good young players coming through in Zac Lomax, Bradman Best and Stephen Crichton, and they are a hell of a lot better than the centres that we saw in SOO last year, but I don't think they are significantly better than the likes of Newman, Farnworth, Young, Wardle etc.  There is every chance that our young, athletic, talented centres can turn out just as good as the Aussie ones.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

37 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Wakefield have a big 6’5” natural athlete and quality centre called Oliver Greensmith coming through their ranks. He’s a very good player and certainly has the nuanced skills required to be a very good outside back but needs to be exposed to the higher level NOW if he’s going to fulfil his potential. Unfortunately Chester doesn’t seem to favour him and the lads progress has been a bit stifled by lack of games.

If he has a nuance in his game he could be more suited to rugby union. 

There are some big units coming through 

Let's think of a young England of GB team 

1 Jack Walker Leeds 

2 Louis/Innes senior Huddersfield 

3 Dominic Young- Newcastle knights

4,Harry Newman - Leeds

5 herbie Farnworth-Brisbane 

6 Lewis Dodd St Helens 

7 harry Smith - Wigan 

8 Mikael Oledski - Leeds - check spelling 

9 Aaron Smith - St Helens 

10 Matty Lees - St Helens 

11 Ethan Havard - Wigan 

12 Owen Trout Huddersfield 

13 Morgan Smithies - "Wigan 

14 Nathan Roebuck - Warrington 

15 Liam Byrne - Wigan 

16 matty English - Huddersfield 

17 Joe Cator - Hull

This was done off the top of my head and there are many others. 

I reckon this could be the golden generation 

29 minutes ago, The storm said:

1 Jack Walker Leeds 

4,Harry Newman - Leeds

6 Lewis Dodd St Helens 

7 harry Smith - Wigan 

11 Ethan Havard - Wigan 

15 Liam Byrne - Wigan 

17 Joe Cator - Hull

As well as Oledski, Newman and Walker you’ve named there are very high hopes for a number of other talented young players at Leeds. We believe we could have a new golden generation who lift trophies and gain International honours like the last. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

As well as Oledski, Newman and Walker you’ve named there are very high hopes for a number of other talented young players at Leeds. We believe we could have a new golden generation who lift trophies and gain International honours like the last. 

Cameron smith

Liam tindal 

Jack broadbent 

Who else 

52 minutes ago, The storm said:

1 Jack Walker Leeds 

4,Harry Newman - Leeds

6 Lewis Dodd St Helens 

7 harry Smith - Wigan 

11 Ethan Havard - Wigan 

15 Liam Byrne - Wigan 

17 Joe Cator - Hull

There's also Jake Wardle, Tom Holroyd and Harry Rushton

1 hour ago, The storm said:

1 Jack Walker Leeds 

4,Harry Newman - Leeds

6 Lewis Dodd St Helens 

7 harry Smith - Wigan 

11 Ethan Havard - Wigan 

15 Liam Byrne - Wigan 

17 Joe Cator - Hull

Levi edwards Leeds 

Kai Pearce-paul wigan

18 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I was a fan of Whare as well, lacked a bit of size but he made things happen, didn`t mind Lafai as well, Kiwi`s produce so many great attacking centres because they have that size and mobility, not to mention aggressive, Clinton Toopi was always a favourite of mine, always loved the story about him getting in a fight with one of his Kiwis teammates and a prop, can`t remember which one but know he was a lot bigger than Toopi in a bar after a Test match. That`s the spirit.

I recall offering some advice to Clinton Toopi at a GB v NZ match at Huddersfield. (he had been jostling our players with much enthusiasm). Honest to God, as I was finishing off ranting he turned his head and looked up towards me. How I didn't spoil my pantaloons I have no idea. Blind terror inspired me to finish off with "Yeah Clinton Toopi- Come up here with us!  .....My mate wants a word with you". My mates face was a picture.

As I recall he missed the next match with an injury. He punched his own team mate so hard he broke his own arm. 

A scarey prospect I think.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 Welsby - Sts

2 Young - Newcastle 

3 Wardle - Giants

4 Newman - Rhinos

5 Farnworth-Brisbane 

6 Trueman - Tigers

7 Smith - Wigan 

8 Oledski - Leeds

9 Smith - St Helens 

10 Havard - Wigan