Dominic Young - Newcastle Knights

22 hours ago, OMEGA said:

DoM Young is 6’6” and has been superbly developed by The Giants Academy & Scholarship both as a player and as a man.

The Senior twins are both 6’5” not two inches shorter as stated by someone earlier. They are big lads with loads of talent and big frames, while they’re not overly muscular they will both develop into monsters by their mid 20s.

Jake Wardle is 6’3” and has been one of the hottest properties in his peer group for the last 8 years or so. Wigan, Sts, Leeds & Warrington have all made him offers to join them from Huddersfield during his Academy years but he’s stayed where he knows he’s getting the best development.

Its not coincidence that these big, talented athletes have all come through the Giants Academy at the same time and there are others too.

Under Andy Kelly The Giants Academy has gone from below average to Outstanding while also producing the following:

Jake Conner, Matty English, Jake Wardle, Dom Young, Sam Hewitt, Jon Luke Kirby, Innes Senior, Louis Senior, Darnell Macintosh, Oliver Russell, Sam Wood, Jack Richardson, Tyler Mellor, and Ronan Micheal have come through to first team level. While 3 or 4 have gone elsewhere the majority are in the 2021 Giants Super League Squad.

Great Credit to Andy Kelly for reinventing and forging the Giants Academy into what it is today.

The advantage of taking junior development seriously

Other clubs please take not

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the split in Sky money, how much actually goes to junior clubs?

I would love to see how many amateur clubs provide players to scholarship / academy players. Understanding the data at this point, Super League & the RFL could say provide £1m a year (minimum) to the top 20 clubs.

For me the real investment should be done at this level. Better facilities, equipment and training for coaches will see the rewards higher up the food chain. Building facilities such as clubhouses, changing facilities - will only drive development. 

Surely this is already done?

We talk about players who leave the game and struggle, then perhaps they could be kept in this circle by supporting the next generation of player. Their knowledge would be vital to be passed on.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

On 20/02/2021 at 20:44, OMEGA said:

DoM Young is 6’6” and has been superbly developed by The Giants Academy & Scholarship both as a player and as a man.

The Senior twins are both 6’5” not two inches shorter as stated by someone earlier. They are big lads with loads of talent and big frames, while they’re not overly muscular they will both develop into monsters by their mid 20s.

Jake Wardle is 6’3” and has been one of the hottest properties in his peer group for the last 8 years or so. Wigan, Sts, Leeds & Warrington have all made him offers to join them from Huddersfield during his Academy years but he’s stayed where he knows he’s getting the best development.

Its not coincidence that these big, talented athletes have all come through the Giants Academy at the same time and there are others too.

Under Andy Kelly The Giants Academy has gone from below average to Outstanding while also producing the following:

Jake Conner, Matty English, Jake Wardle, Dom Young, Sam Hewitt, Jon Luke Kirby, Innes Senior, Louis Senior, Darnell Macintosh, Oliver Russell, Sam Wood, Jack Richardson, Tyler Mellor, and Ronan Micheal have come through to first team level. While 3 or 4 have gone elsewhere the majority are in the 2021 Giants Super League Squad.

Great Credit to Andy Kelly for reinventing and forging the Giants Academy into what it is today.

Good to know. Sounds really positive.

7 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

Blind terror inspired me to finish off with "Yeah Clinton Toopi- Come up here with us!  .....My mate wants a word with you".

I think in a situation like this it always pays to remind oneself of the sage advice of one Dirty Harry: " a good man always knows his limitations."

15 hours ago, The storm said:

Apparantly Alex Young is even bigger at 6 feet 6 

Is he any good 

Plays at Workington and a University student 

Hes done quite well for us, looks a decent prospect. I think he needs to bulk up a bit, and surprisingly he isnt that great under the high ball...

12 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I'm trying to work out what the interviewer meant about the difference in the game compared to what he had played before (clearly Dom wasn't sure what he meant either).  Was he suggesting Cessnock Goannas was a step up from what he had played before?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm trying to work out what the interviewer meant about the difference in the game compared to what he had played before (clearly Dom wasn't sure what he meant either).  Was he suggesting Cessnock Goannas was a step up from what he had played before?

He just wanted Dom Young to confirm his own opinion of the Aussie game compared with the UK game. And fell flat on his face as Dom pointed out there wasn't any difference.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 22/02/2021 at 16:10, EastLondonMike said:

Watched highlights decent with ball in hand but lots of work in defence, don’t think he will starting early in the season, probably get a chance as the season progresses. 

49 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Watched highlights decent with ball in hand but lots of work in defence, don’t think he will starting early in the season, probably get a chance as the season progresses. 

The few times I’ve watched him it’s been his defensive reads and positioning which I felt needed work on, so I’d be surprised if he started the season......... but it seems he’s on the right track and a lot of that comes with experience 

53 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

That is the biggest area in which English outside backs can really improve on by going to Australia at an early age.

On 20/02/2021 at 19:44, OMEGA said:

Not to mention the role the Giants Supporters Association (HGSA) have played.

Raising vital funds whilst also helping the club and their limited resources to host, promote and help run the academy/scholarship teams off the field.

As a part of that, I am delighted to see the lads, who I feel we have helped in their development to now be making strides in the game, Jake Wardle was always the one with the biggest future, he would often be head and shoulders above the other players, and he certainly outplayed his opponents, Newman, Welsby et al many times.

Dom is an interesting one, the first thing you noticed about him was his shyness and size, even at 16/17 he was often the biggest lad on the field, he certainly has the physical attributes, as well as speed and skill, the one thing he probably lacked was 'smarts' hopefully that will come with time.

We get unfairly criticised as a club sometime, but any praise is welcomed, certainly, Andy Kelly takes a lot of the credit, but also Chris Thorman, Luke Robinson, Scott Grix and a host of other coaches, physios , not to mention Sean Folan who is head of identifying talent and the first team coaches and players who regularly gave up their time to support the lads.

3 minutes ago, meast said:

Jake Wardle was always the one with the biggest future, he would often be head and shoulders above the other players, and he certainly outplayed his opponents, Newman, Welsby et al many times.

Do you mean Wardle outplayed Newman when they were in the junior ranks?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 21/02/2021 at 23:41, Chris Taylor said:

With the split in Sky money, how much actually goes to junior clubs?

I would love to see how many amateur clubs provide players to scholarship / academy players. Understanding the data at this point, Super League & the RFL could say provide £1m a year (minimum) to the top 20 clubs.

For me the real investment should be done at this level. Better facilities, equipment and training for coaches will see the rewards higher up the food chain. Building facilities such as clubhouses, changing facilities - will only drive development. 

Surely this is already done?

We talk about players who leave the game and struggle, then perhaps they could be kept in this circle by supporting the next generation of player. Their knowledge would be vital to be passed on.

I agree with this, when we were struggling in 2015/16/17, that was when we put more funds into the academy, as we rely mainly on a generous owner/BOD we needed to be more self sufficient, and the only way to do that was to develop from within, not paying for over the top imports etc.

Which is where the HGSA stepped in to help the club raise the funds and manpower etc.

We seem to have reaped the rewards somewhat, although our recruitment drive for 2021 has been a bit different.

10 minutes ago, meast said:

Wardle outplayed everyone, although I did like Newman when he was in Leeds' academy, he was always their standout player, but then he is a Huddersfudlian 🙂

I was just thinking that Newman has just turned 21 in February while Wardle turns 23 in November.  At age group that's a pretty big difference. 

On 20/02/2021 at 13:49, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Dom Young looks a great talent. He could be one England’s centres in the World Cup if he can break into the Knights side, it’s a position England are not particularly strong in.

Or Jamaica's?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived