Dominic Young - Newcastle Knights

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

It’ll be interesting to see Wane’s selection for the Exiles game... thinking centres and props especially. 

For me, if Wardle bulks up a bit, him and Newman are our best 2 centres. Although I do like King, he doesn't carry the same attacking threat (unless the ball is in the air). Gildart and Percival are good solid players but next level for me.

It'll be interesting to see what Wane does, Wardle is the sort of player i'd think he'd like as he's got a bit of mongrel in him. But he has worked with Gildart in the past so may favour him

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

It'll be interesting to see what Wane does, Wardle is the sort of player i'd think he'd like as he's got a bit of mongrel in him. But he has worked with Gildart in the past so may favour him

Yep - agreed. Can see Gildart and Newman/King being selected to be honest; play for more favourable teams than Wardle does... that said, I think he should pick centre on form between 5-6 players (Gildart, Newman, King, Percival, Wardle & possibly Farnworth at the end of the season) with Young possibly in the mix next year and beyond (since he’s supposedly chosen Jamaica for the WC). All IMO have the ability to play international rugby (Newman, Wardle, Young and Farnworth look to have the ability to excel if continue to develop). 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Will he be able to pick NRL based players? 

It really isn’t the England side without them.

Don’t think so as it’s not an international. 

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Yep - agreed. Can see Gildart and Newman/King being selected to be honest; play for more favourable teams than Wardle does... that said, I think he should pick centre on form between 5-6 players (Gildart, Newman, King, Percival, Wardle & possibly Farnworth at the end of the season) with Young possibly in the mix next year and beyond (since he’s supposedly chosen Jamaica for the WC). All IMO have the ability to play international rugby (Newman, Wardle, Young and Farnworth look to have the ability to excel if continue to develop). 

Think Farnworth will be in the mix for for the World Cup, as he can cover both centre and wing. A lot depends on injuries, particularly with Manfredi and Johnstone being prone

26 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Think Farnworth will be in the mix for for the World Cup, as he can cover both centre and wing. A lot depends on injuries, particularly with Manfredi and Johnstone being prone

There are plenty of variables between now and England WC selection but one thing is for sure, I am more excited about the quality of England's outside backs than I have been in a long time.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

For me, if Wardle bulks up a bit, him and Newman are our best 2 centres. Although I do like King, he doesn't carry the same attacking threat (unless the ball is in the air). Gildart and Percival are good solid players but next level for me.

I totally agree on Wardle. 

Id have him in straight away as gildart and percival remind me of a couple of singers out of one direction. 

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Who’s there that will be in consideration?

Thomson is a miss but not an irreplaceable one 

T Burgess, Whitehead, Williams - I think we can cover those with U.K. based players who will be just as good against the Exiles

Personally I wouldn’t select Hodgson as he stifles the 1st receivers options and there’s better hookers here in the U.K. 

Sutton is only a slight chance of being selected

Young will cut his teeth Internationally with Jamaica until he’s England ready

Farnworth is still a way off England/international level but has great potential to make it, again there’s plenty of U.K. based outside backs ahead of him

8 hours ago, meast said:

Not to mention the role the Giants Supporters Association (HGSA) have played.

Raising vital funds whilst also helping the club and their limited resources to host, promote and help run the academy/scholarship teams off the field.

As a part of that, I am delighted to see the lads, who I feel we have helped in their development to now be making strides in the game, Jake Wardle was always the one with the biggest future, he would often be head and shoulders above the other players, and he certainly outplayed his opponents, Newman, Welsby et al many times.

Dom is an interesting one, the first thing you noticed about him was his shyness and size, even at 16/17 he was often the biggest lad on the field, he certainly has the physical attributes, as well as speed and skill, the one thing he probably lacked was 'smarts' hopefully that will come with time.

We get unfairly criticised as a club sometime, but any praise is welcomed, certainly, Andy Kelly takes a lot of the credit, but also Chris Thorman, Luke Robinson, Scott Grix and a host of other coaches, physios , not to mention Sean Folan who is head of identifying talent and the first team coaches and players who regularly gave up their time to support the lads.

100% in agreement with this!

The support from the volunteers is amazing and the club should be very proud of how they and the HGSA get behind the their team.

Sean Folan is the best Scout I’ve seen in terms of complete knowledge of the players, their parents and their coaches across all the age groups 

Andy Kelly has totally rebuilt the youth system from the ground up, the philosophy, the structure, the whole holistic approach that challenges everyone involved to be better over and over again which includes himself, the coaches, the scouts as well as the players.

28 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Who’s there that will be in consideration?

Thomson is a miss but not an irreplaceable one 

T Burgess, Whitehead, Williams - I think we can cover those with U.K. based players who will be just as good against the Exiles

Personally I wouldn’t select Hodgson as he stifles the 1st receivers options and there’s better hookers here in the U.K. 

Sutton is only a slight chance of being selected

Young will cut his teeth Internationally with Jamaica until he’s England ready

Farnworth is still a way off England/international level but has great potential to make it, again there’s plenty of U.K. based outside backs ahead of him

The biggest miss is Williams as he is our best half back and it is a rare chance to test a combination in a key position.

9 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I like his attitude.

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Wardle is the sort of player i'd think he'd like as he's got a bit of mongrel in him.

Mongrel... good. I think a bit of `mongrel` in a player is important, especially for putting your opposite number off his game.

24 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

If Farnsworth, the only English outside back I`ve really seen, is still "a way off England/International level" then no wonder:

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am more excited about the quality of England's outside backs than I have been in a long time.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

100% in agreement with this!

The support from the volunteers is amazing and the club should be very proud of how they and the HGSA get behind the their team.

Sean Folan is the best Scout I’ve seen in terms of complete knowledge of the players, their parents and their coaches across all the age groups 

Andy Kelly has totally rebuilt the youth system from the ground up, the philosophy, the structure, the whole holistic approach that challenges everyone involved to be better over and over again which includes himself, the coaches, the scouts as well as the players.

I was lucky enough to be able to travel on the team coach with Andy, Sean, Luke et al, when the likes of Innes, Louis, Jake Wardle, Dom, Sam Hewitt, Jon-Luke and the others from that group were part of the academy, and it was eye opening to see how respectful and polite the lads were and how Andy, Luke, Sean etc never stopped discussing the game, how they could improve, even asking the HGSA volunteers for any input, it really was professional!

That Dominic Young is doing quite well at Newcastle Knights isn't he?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

That Dominic Young is doing quite well at Newcastle Knights isn't he?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

Not at all, I think this is the perfect thread to discuss young Young and how he is faring in his giant move to the Knights.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I hope some of these big young outside backs make it.  We can match Aus/NZ in the forwards physically, but too often we've got skinny little outside backs who struggle to make regulation tackles against bigger opponents.  I remember walking past Lee Smith and Mark Calderwood in Brisbane when they toured with GB and I couldn't believe how small and skinny they both were - I'd been in the same hotel as NSW a while earlier and they were all massive by comparison (Matt King was playing on the wing I think).

There was a reason Ryan Hall did well at international level before he bulked up ridiculously.

Mind you, I also really want to see the next cocky halfback for GB. I want a new Gregory/Goulding marching round the field like they own the place. 

3 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

I hope some of these big young outside backs make it.  We can match Aus/NZ in the forwards physically, but too often we've got skinny little outside backs who struggle to make regulation tackles against bigger opponents

This is the biggest myth going. Both their forwards and backs are bigger and more physical in the NRL than Super League and equally Internationally for Australia than England. Yes we have had some forwards who are as big, physical and as good as theirs, but across the board our forwards haven’t ever been as big or as good. To name a few examples, Jack Hughes, Joe Philbin, Luke Thompson, going further back we’ve had the likes of Jon Wilkin and JJB who were good Super League players but not as big or physical as the likes of Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell, Jake Trybojevic, David Klemmer, Payne Haas or Josh Papalii.

40 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This is the biggest myth going. Both their forwards and backs are bigger and more physical in the NRL than Super League and equally Internationally for Australia than England. Yes we have had some forwards who are as big, physical and as good as theirs, but across the board our forwards haven’t ever been as big or as good. To name a few examples, Jack Hughes, Joe Philbin, Luke Thompson, going further back we’ve had the likes of Jon Wilkin and JJB who were good Super League players but not as big or physical as the likes of Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell, Jake Trybojevic, David Klemmer, Payne Haas or Josh Papalii.

I disagree. We've had Morley, Ellis, Farrell, Sculthorpe, the Burgess brothers, Walmsley,  Peacock, Fielden. Then you have Graham, Whitehead and Bateman who might not be as big but they're definitely as good if not better

11 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I disagree. We've had Morley, Ellis, Farrell, Sculthorpe, the Burgess brothers, Walmsley,  Peacock, Fielden. Then you have Graham, Whitehead and Bateman who might not be as big but they're definitely as good if not better

The whole point was we have some forwards that are as big, but most our forwards are not as big.

59 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I don't think the Aussies are bigger or more physical than ours... I did a comparison in size between all the test nations in 2019 and Great Britain (as was) fared right up there with NZ and Australia and it was only the Tongan pack that was heavier.  I will dig it out tomorrow. 

The big difference over the years has been the game management from the spine and in particular the kicking game. Invariably it meant our pack was working hard on exit sets while the Aussies were starting attacking sets. Oh, to be a pack player alongside a Smith, a Cronk or a Thurston. 

31 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The whole point was we have some forwards that are as big, but most our forwards are not as big.

I do get your point and I suppose across the board they probably are. I think that's more to do with the fact that they have a much bigger junior pool to start with.

At the top end internationally though I don't think there's much difference at all

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think the Aussies are bigger or more physical than ours... I did a comparison in size between all the test nations in 2019 and Great Britain (as was) fared right up there with NZ and Australia and it was only the Tongan pack that was heavier.  I will dig it out tomorrow. 

The big difference over the years has been the game management from the spine and in particular the kicking game. Invariably it meant our pack was working hard on exit sets while the Aussies were starting attacking sets. Oh, to be a pack player alongside a Smith, a Cronk or a Thurston. 

It’d be good to see those stats. Comparing back rowers from Great Britain’s recent tour and players Wane has named in his England squad to the State of Origin back rowers.

Great Britain had Bateman 96kg Whitehead 102kg, Josh Jones 100kg

Named in Wane’s England squad Liam Farrell 93kg, Morgan Knowles 94kg, Ben Currie 102kg, 

New South Wales had Boyd Cordner 102kg, Tyson Frizell 108kg, Jake Trbojevic 107kg, Angus Crichton 102kg

Queensland had Felise Kaufusi 109kg, Coen Hess 114kg, Tino Fa’asuamialeui 112kg, Jaydn Su’A 100kg

7 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

I hope some of these big young outside backs make it.  We can match Aus/NZ in the forwards physically, but too often we've got skinny little outside backs who struggle to make regulation tackles against bigger opponents.  I remember walking past Lee Smith and Mark Calderwood in Brisbane when they toured with GB and I couldn't believe how small and skinny they both were - I'd been in the same hotel as NSW a while earlier and they were all massive by comparison (Matt King was playing on the wing I think).

There was a reason Ryan Hall did well at international level before he bulked up ridiculously.

Mind you, I also really want to see the next cocky halfback for GB. I want a new Gregory/Goulding marching round the field like they own the place. 

Harry Smith and Lewis Dodd are very talented 

And i agree that the Aussies and indeed kiwis have been much bigger than us internationally 

We do have some big units coming through however 

Archived