Dominic Young - Newcastle Knights

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looked a bit of a defensive liability, but given his experience that's really not surprising - I fully expect he'll get better.

One thing though, while he's tall he could bulk up considerably.  He's already pretty strong and ran the ball well at times, but looking at him he could easily carry another 5-10 kg.  

9 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

He looked a bit of a defensive liability, but given his experience that's really not surprising - I fully expect he'll get better.

One thing though, while he's tall he could bulk up considerably.  He's already pretty strong and ran the ball well at times, but looking at him he could easily carry another 5-10 kg.  

He did look out of position in defence yes

But this is a lad that barely played for Huddersfield 1st team so his achievements so far are immense. 

At the moment Herbie Farnworth is a fair way ahead of him in terms of international selection as are Harry Newman, jake Wardle, a revitalised Mark Percival, oliver gildart, josh Griffin and even Jack broadbent another Leeds youngster 

That defensive challenge needs to be driven into Dominic so that opposition players know he will bulldose them 

I agree entirely. He also won't have had as much practice with the team as others. I thought when he made contact he did very well - certainly didn't drop off any tackles. The problem was his decision-making as the ball was moved to his side meant he became a bit of a target to play around. That's down to inexperience and lack of time to work on combinations in defence. They do say after all that centre is the hardest position defensively.

just watched the knights game- a lot to work on from that performance - can't see the coach rushing to put him 1st on the team sheet on that showing 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Not surprising really.  He made his NRL debut younger than most Aussies, and has far less experience at a reasonable level than anyone he's playing against.  A season mostly in reserve grade should see him get used to patterns of play and gain confidence in decision-making. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

At 19 on his debut that’s gotta be expected. He’s got the potential to be England’s best centre IMO. 

is he quick? how would he fare on the wing with a bit more bulk on him do you reckon?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

is he quick? how would he fare on the wing with a bit more bulk on him do you reckon?

His NRL profile has him at 107kg which is just short of 17 stone. I’m not sure he’d need anymore bulk to play wing. He set up his winger for a try with a great centre’s offload in a pre season trial, I think that’s his position.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

His NRL profile has him at 107kg which is just short of 17 stone. I’m not sure he’d need anymore bulk to play wing. He set up his winger for a try with a great centre’s offload in a pre season trial, I think that’s his position.

It was against a pub team remember.

His positioning is very poor but a season in reserves with the odd game in the NRL will do him a world of good - the coaching and his ability to learn and implement will be key.

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

It was against a pub team remember.

His positioning is very poor but a season in reserves with the odd game in the NRL will do him a world of good - the coaching and his ability to learn and implement will be key.

It wasn’t against a pub team, but I agree with the rest of the post, very few teenagers are NRL first team players week in week out.

Bradman Best should be back in Round 9 so that should tie up one centre spot. Blake Green comes back this week so that will leave them wanting to slot Kurt Mann in somewhere. So there's Hymel Hunt, Shibasaki, and Tuala to fit into one centre spot.

Allowing for the normal injury rate I could see Young getting 5 games this year. On the plus side, there are no experienced first-graders in the Knights' NSW Cup team who would rank ahead of Young.

5 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Scored 2 tries though I believe?

Scored two with impressive power and made another brilliant offload for his winger to score, hope the injury's not serious because he looked like a man amongst boys in those highlights.

Archived