Le Treiziste - fighting back against media snub of RL

Great stuff LD, good news & the whole sport seems to have regained its confidence in France. And after what they've had to put up with over the years the only way was onwards and upwards.

Glad I'm early to comment before some of the happier souls arrive too.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

If you have a beef, remember to check your facts, because anything like this will allow the nay-sayers a chance to deflect and muddy the argument by nit-picking.

"England v Australia, in 2011 and the Telegraph had a 27 word article in the paper on the day before the game. A game that included Darren Lockyer, Billy Slater and Benji Marshall".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The full quote - that you’ve neglected to include - contains the fact that it was a double header - the other game was New Zealand v Wales, in which Benji Marshall captained New Zealand.

If that’s your biggest takeaway from such a positive and proactive article then this sport is doomed I’m afraid. 

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If you have a beef, remember to check your facts, because anything like this will allow the nay-sayers a chance to deflect and muddy the argument by nit-picking.

"England v Australia, in 2011 and the Telegraph had a 27 word article in the paper on the day before the game. A game that included Darren Lockyer, Billy Slater and Benji Marshall".

Yes that`s important, not as essential in a situation like this, making a point, but still important.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If I can help at all, I’m in 👍

Eddie if I lived in England I would be there with bells on, even from here I am going to sign up for this, let me at `em. Just let me know any time, you can PM me, who you want contacted and the strategy.

Firstly, isn’t this what PR is for? Does the World Cup not have a PR officer? Given that people are pretty impressed by the 2021 RLWC marketing and advertising, I would have though that they either had someone in this role or someone who had some of the duties of a PR manager written into their job description. I would be very shocked however if any club, Super League or The RFL either had a PR manager or someone entrusted with those duties or worked with a PR agency. 

I don’t want to detract from the dedication and passion these people clearly have for the sport but is writing letters or standing outside a building in London, where people will be walking in and out connected to their phones via their headphones or their heads buried in social media the modern and correct approach to take? Not long before we went into the first lockdown a year ago, I had a junior, this someone who attended one of the top rated universities in the country, ask me how to send a letter. Someone of 21/22 didn’t know what to do and I don’t mean the franking side. As in what to write and where to put a stamp.

Do they only concentrate on newspapers? Because, again, that’s a bit dated. I know people still read papers but social media wise, the game has little reach beyond its own fans who go looking for that content.

I think it’s quite sad that fans have to do the jobs that clubs and the sports governing bodies should be doing and is a sad indictment of where we are as a sport. 

Archived