Has SBW retired?

langpark

I have searched high and low, yet cannot find a clear answer.  Last I heard from him was in his post-match interview when Roosters got eliminated in the preliminary final, where he said he would discuss it with his wife.

We have been subjected to months of Cameron Smith articles, yet I cannot seem to find one about SBW's future.  Seems strange that a year ago he was the $10 million man, and now, you struggle to find an article about him.  I realise the likelihood of him retiring is quite high, as he turns 36 this year, but I would have expected a lot of suitors from both codes, and if he is not going to sign with any, then possibly an announcement that he is retiring.

19 minutes ago, langpark said:

I have searched high and low, yet cannot find a clear answer.  Last I heard from him was in his post-match interview when Roosters got eliminated in the preliminary final, where he said he would discuss it with his wife.

We have been subjected to months of Cameron Smith articles, yet I cannot seem to find one about SBW's future.  Seems strange that a year ago he was the $10 million man, and now, you struggle to find an article about him.  I realise the likelihood of him retiring is quite high, as he turns 36 this year, but I would have expected a lot of suitors from both codes, and if he is not going to sign with any, then possibly an announcement that he is retiring.

The only way to find out. Wave some money in the air and see if he pops up, Meerkat-style.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Don't think we have been subjected to any Cameron Smith articles to be honest🤔🤔 - can't remember any TBH.

Plenty about Leigh or Promotion/ Relegation Championship and Lg1 though.

19 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Don't think we have been subjected to any Cameron Smith articles to be honest🤔🤔 - can't remember any TBH.

Plenty about Leigh or Promotion/ Relegation Championship and Lg1 though.

I follow a lot of Aussie RL media sites and it has the talk about his future has been pretty constant for about the last 9 months.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Positive about a month ago there was a statement, surprisingly low-profile now that you mention it though.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The only way to find out. Wave some money in the air and see if he pops up, Meerkat-style.

I’m pretty sure when I was giving the wife some shopping money last week I thought I saw him slowly coming out of the bushes. She quickly got the money back into her purse and he seemed to just disappear. He’s still about everyone so just be careful out there. 

it's catch 22 sbw won't play for a club that won't throw money at him and the clubs that have the money know he won't be worth that money as a player- an average salary in sl or nrl (if he was even worth that) wouldn't be sniffed at by the greediest money grabbing player ever to take the field

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

it's catch 22 sbw won't play for a club that won't throw money at him and the clubs that have the money know he won't be worth that money as a player- an average salary in sl or nrl (if he was even worth that) wouldn't be sniffed at by the greediest money grabbing player ever to take the field

There’s nowt wrong with trying to maximise your income, especially in a game like rugby. 

28 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Have you never changed jobs for a pay rise/ better working conditions/ better opportunities then?

57 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Have New York City started their recruitment yet! 😂

29 minutes ago, philipw said:

Have you never changed jobs for a pay rise/ better working conditions/ better opportunities then?

Yes I have.

But I informed my employers and gave my notice before leaving, like an honest person would.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes I have.

But I informed my employers and gave my notice before leaving, like an honest person would.

Come on, he was 23 when that happened has acknowledged several times that it was a mistake and that he regretted handling it the way he did.

I am no fan of the guy. In fact, the minute anyone walks out on our sport, to me, they no longer exist.

But, I don't think he is greedy the way many portray him here. It is not his fault TWP wanted to pay him a ridiculous amount. 

An accountant can work at his job for 40 or even 50 years. A pro athlete has about 15 years to make his money. 

It's a short career as a professional Rugby player, and you never know when it might end suddenly so I don't begrudge anyone for taking everything they can from it especially when some seem to offer silly money to attract certain player's. It's not long ago that player's were traded like pieces of meat now with contracts they have the upper hand and as it is their bodies that are taking the punishment that they will have to live with the rest of their lives it's quite rightly so.

41 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I think he's busy advising Joseph Suaalii these days. Certainly had some meetings with him.

I saw somewhere that Mundine had been talking to Suaallli as well, and it was Mundine who was in SBW`s ear when he broke his contract with the Bulldogs telling him things like `you got to do what`s right for you`. Of course recalling that it was Mundine who walked out on St. George. You sign a contract you stick to it.

2 hours ago, philipw said:

Yeah, that was what? 13 years ago? .....maybe worth getting over it. 

there are enough people who like to kick our game in the nuts without its own star players doing it too, maybe NOT worth getting over it. 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived